Enhancements: Indivine submissions

Shaumik Daityari
Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

There are a few things that I find irritating while submitting posts. Being a web developer myself, I know the fixes (which I presumer are pretty simple).

Firstly, I don't really understand the point of using error codes (I got Ragnir). You could just give me the description of the error and save me the time of a Google search.

Secondly, what is the need to strip tags in the description. I think the PHP functions htmlspecialchars() and addslashes() ought to do the trick!

I had an issue because whenever your script encounters characters like "&" or "£", the rest of it is deprecated, creating the error.

Also, another thing that really tests patience is the checks after the posts are submitted. If you could just put some JS validation, it would be good for everyone. Now, I had to go back and copy paste the details again. A bit messy, right?

Another thing. What is the reason behind putting a time limit for editing comments(and why redirect to a different page for that)?

One more enhancement that you could do is add a spell checker to the text editor for the forum posts!

UPDATE: Ignore the last sentence. Got cleared in the comments.

Edited 10 years ago
Reason: Added details
Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago
  • Those error codes were added for fun. Wink You can find such funny things all over IB. But even I accept that things should be a bit easier. A link to the FAQ page along with that error code would do a good job.
  • Tags - I never used any special characters in my IndiVine descriptions. So, I can't comment about it. 
  • The text editor already has a spell checker. Click the button shown below and spell check will be activated.

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

My bad for the ignorance in the spell checker :P but shouldn't it be activated by default? Maybe I am just too accustomed to Blogger or CKEditor but I just assume a spell checker to be there!

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Secondly, I never used special characters in tags. I did that in my description. I don't know how you follow football, but "£100 million" is generally written over "100 million pounds"- that was just instinctive.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Even I feel that the spell check should be on by default. Most of the time, I forget to switch it on and my forum posts get filled with mistakes. 

I'm not interested in sports.Tongue out

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

I hate those error codes... they are all PJs and utterly disgusting Laughing

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Utterly disgusting is the proper term I was looking for :P

Ranjith
Ranjith