About Off-topic chitchats in different threads/posts...let's discuss :-)

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Hi ladies & gentlemen,

I've noticed of late that most of us are enjoying off-topic chitchats in some of the forum threads/posts, i.e.- suppose, if the thread was started with a topic like SEO tips, somehow we happily divert our discussions to Shrisanth, Elephantiasis or Ohio nightclubs! Yes, we enjoy doing it... but now the question is how purposeful this new trend is? Let us discuss about it from an unbiased outlook [Saintly smile]....

Edited 10 years ago
Reason: just...
Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

In other communities there are seperate forum for serious and casual discussions. In the chit chat forum, one can discuss anything under the sun and only rules that apply are regarding flaming and spamming.

But in focused forums, no duplication is allowed, thread should have clear purpose, should be of general community interest etc. etc.

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Correct. And to ensure this, moderators have enough rights.

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Comment deleted

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

OK Lucifer, so what's your opinion?

My one cent : Do we need a sophisticated, to the point mba type disposals to any discussion,  or a light hearted environment with some leeway. 

Decision is not easy but if management wants such redressal that people firmly stick to points, and perform within stipulated guidelines, indie should hire people to be on the toes and respond with zeal and fervor and the acumen desired by them.

Then I too would rack my mind to put up super queries of NASA, types, and will stop relying on google to find answers.

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Balance is required. Too many rules spoil the fun and so does too much freedom.

Yes bro, hit the nail, now. Like complete hijack should not be done, and some light hearted talk adds spice to talks.

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

This is what I have been telling and made clear in my first reply itself. Did I say something else?

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Look, almost all are professionals here... so, none has time to burn his/her time in spoiling a thread to an irreversible extent... we know our limits... sometimes it may get little stretched and there's no point to be bothered with those... after all don't we get high in some evenings occasionally? [devilish smile] 

Well said Anunoy. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hmmm

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
@Rio, exactly.
Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

My contribution: Once the question of the thread is answered, what's the problem if it gets buried under all the smileys and fun? Also, if the thread already says that it's for fun, like Ritu's did, participants can do anything there, can't they? And it's of course more fun than Inditalk as it will be accessible in the better format than Inditalk.

But again, I am saying that the fun can begin once the purpose of the thread is served. Smile

PS: This is my take. Anybody and everybody have a right to agree/disagree to it in the same way I have a right to my opinion Cool

Pankti once purpose is cleared generally indipolice closes it. Then if they deem fit, or wanna add something,  and then close it again or let it survive.  All at their mercy.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hmmm buddhe ghode ko goli mar doge??? [shocked and broken]

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I think P (Rio), you are talking about a very old scenario when threads were being locked once the purpose was accomplished. There had been a debate on that and now, threads are not being locked unless there are abusive/offensive. None of the threads have been locked in recent past only because the purpose was achieved.

All at their mercy sounds like we are running the forum the way we wish and there is no control. This is not true.

I didn't know of that resolution,  and always thought purpose msy not have been fulfilled,  so they are on. My mistake on this point. And the mercy part stands defunct. We are our own stallions now.

Madhu Bhardwaj
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Sorry, I was missing in action as I had to go somewhere. Well, if the finger pointing dialogue was directed to me then my answer is that I don't like bullying behaviour, no matter who does it and toward whom. So, I was in the discussion answering things that were not directed to me perhaps.. Those who are VERY active in Inditalk , had 'very' bolded laying emphasis and hence the inference that IP disapproved of their activity and /or bonding. Enough said. No more.
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Madhu is back... traaa la lala la... [glad to see you wala smile]

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

That bolding had nothing to do with bullying. I can engage in anything but bullying. It only meant that those who are less active (yes, there is another group apart from those not actives) are not involved in this chitchat and come to forum occasionally just to get their queries resolved. "Very" was emboldened just to differentiate between active members and very active members. I don't why but I am getting this idea again and again that members do not look at Indipolice as one of their own, but as a different creatures altogether who just want to show-off their powers (if there really are any powers at all) and that's why such interpretations come out.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Mishra is back... traaa la lala la... [glad to see you wala smile]... see, I give the same treatment!!! [I'm clear boss wala smile]

Madhu Bhardwaj
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Thanks for the welcome! Now for some more sophisticated thrust and parry may be.
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

why don't we sing together some patriotic... or may be a country song?...

DS
DS
from Mumbai
10 years ago
I have a suggestion. If people want to chat they can either use the existing active bloggers thread or create a similar thread in general and off topic. btw, the existing active bloggers thread, even though it was used for chatting is so much different to what we are seeing on the forum now a days. Chit Chat and off topic conversations in a serious forum thread should not be allowed.
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hmmmm......

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Wow! So much discussion! Can someone read and summarize in 2 lines so that I can make the final decision?

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

[trumpet blows]

Here comes Judge Lucifer to give His verdict.................

[trumpet blows again]

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Thanks, Anunoy. Now who is going to read out the arguments on either side to me?

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

welcome Lucifer... I'm afraid a dumb person (me precisely) can't help you more than blowing the trumpet [helpless]

LockSign in to reply to this thread