Locked Gender bias on readership!

Aersh Danish
Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

It was poointed out on a separate topic on this forun by a male blogger that our female writters are more successful in getting a line of reader (or people who visit their blogs) because they are female. 

Now, if you are a female blogger, have you expirienced this ever? If so, how do you manage such situations?

As for men, and I know hardly anyone would agree to it.. but do you guys actually prefer to visit the blogs of pretty girls maybe coz you think you can strike off a conversation? Or is it the content of the blog that draws the reader? 

C'mon... lets discuss it in a civilised way... and please lets be slightly honest!! 

Replies 1 to 20 of 20 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Aersh I have also seen Gender bias but am not sure which Gender is biased uponInnocent

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

Really @Vijay? That is news. 

Well, opposites attract, and one cannot shy away completely from this fact. I sometimes thought of having a female blog with a voluptuous pic, as gravatar. [ sheepish grin]. Slight advantage is there for them, but the content counts supreme till the end. Some lady writers blog i witnessed was supreme talented calibre and command over words.
But i have seemn male writers too, with amazing writing skills.
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Aftereffects of chatting with AS (I know that smile)

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

VP let me satisfy/fuel my hollow ego by considering you're really admiring my works [Mahraj style smile]

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yes AS I am also suffering from the same effects Wink

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

VP [blushing]

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Rio I think Aersh is talking about males voting/following/promoting female blog writers.

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

yes i am.. or even the other way round... though that is rare.. knowing the types of hounds men are!

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

ehh, gender difference is SO overated. Just who is keeping accounts of the number of 'good' bloggers??? First tell me which aunty blogger has a HUGE poster of her page on the front page of the blog??? How can one know how good or bad looks from the blog? Unless the home screen of the blog has a HUGE photo. That would be another version of creepy. Let me tell you a story. Based on real facts. There's a youtube channel called Tasty PC where this girl reviews/talks about aftermarket enthusiast components- water cooling units, cases. Then there's another page called....CMHD. Something like that. They use women too. Yeah, more than one. All are good looking. But, Tasty PC has a lot of 2 way activity which is relevant to what she does. Real discussion. There are some *******s, but you find them everywhere regardless. What did you learn? Okay, so maybe looks or gender or whatever does create attractiveness, but its not going to make people look at you as a writer seriously. They'll look and go hubba hubba, but that's it. So its not a good thing if you're gaining traffic based on how you look. As far as women factor being attractive factor, well- considering our country's gender ratio is so screwed up badly all thanks to the previous generations, I guess creepos being around  should be least expected, but if your writing is good and attracts the right people who the hell cares!!! I don't know why uncles are cribbing so much!

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

@TS what is this aunty uncle thing man? 

Aersh's question is about gender not age.

If someone uses an attractive picture of himself/heself or someone else to drive traffic to their blog then that is their lookout.

Blogosphere is a free for all in any case. To add another cliche to all the others 'To each his own. Saanu ki?

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You're implying that I am talking about age. I am not.

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

@TS I am glad that is clear then.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Again, I'm going to be brutally frank about this. I have seen some extremely mediocre blogs by women that are praised like Shakespeare himself wrote them, while there are too many incredible blogs by men that are ignored.

All right, I admit that is my own personal opinion. So let's look at the Reviews section. There are guys lining up to write reviews for women. On the other hand, someone like me had to wait 2 months before someone wrote me a review. If a thread is created by a girl, or it has a girl active in it, it receives instant replies, with dudes jumping into the conversation to address the women with completely off-topic stuff that does nothing to contribute to the discussion, except elicitting a reply from the girl (without naming anyone I would like to point out that this exact thing happened in the thread where this debate started when 1 fine gentleman jumped in just for some attention from 1 lady who was continuously posting there).

Also, recently I have seen a couple of threads created by women that blatantly link to their own blogs, under the guise of some contest or some 100-post tribute thread. Not that it bothers me, but those who are saying there is no bias, why do these threads not get deleted? Why the preferential treatment? Can I create a thread celebrating a genuinely deserving film blogger like Arun, link to his blog, and not expect it to get deleted?

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

well.. stagg mann have you considered gettin a new gravatar!!! maybe that would help!! LOL.. jus kiddin.. don take too personally!! 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i think u missed seeing popular threads by The fool, Ranjith, Aditya ray, Rio and many other male bloggers. about the last para...hmm yes i've seen that but even there've been contest related thread by a male blogger giving some samsung which was not deleted.

besides there are some female blogger mutual admiration groups who comments on each other's blogs, i very rarely see male commenting on them...except maybe 1-2

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Nandini, it's not who created threads. I'll tell you from personal experience. I came across a thread lying dead for weeks, I posted a reply. Nothing happened. Then the next day a girl posted in that thread, and the very same day it got 10 other posts like "Hahaha you're funny" or "I agree with you" or "Great". These posts weren't even directed at the original poster who was a guy, but the girl.

I pay special attantion to these things because Nandini you have read my blog and you know this is exactly the kind of stuff I love to write about.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

And also, Nandini, the contest thread I'm talking about (I won't mention its name but you must have seen it) doesn't even have a prize. WTF? So even I can hold a "name-sake" contest that has no prizes, and the only winner is me by self promoting my own blog?

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

true.. but can that one post be used to generalise the entire phenomenon?? i am just asking.. not commenting.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Hoping for a mature discussion here. Danish, it's not the post. I'm not blaming anyone for creating that post. If I could get away with it, I would have done the exact same thing. It's the fact that the post and the thread has been allowed to live and thrive for over a month, for reasons I can't grasp. I feel if a guy had created that thread, it would have been deleted, or at best, received 10 responses. Who would want to participate in a contest with no prize?

But just because it's a woman's thread, for some reason, the blatant self-promotion is ignored and everyone goes along with it. Why does that happen? Why does logic fail here? I'm genuinely asking. Is the gender of the creator the only reason, or is there something more that I am missing? Again, I'm not questioning the post, I am questioning people's reaction to the post.

PS- I have no problem with such threads being created. Like I mentioned, I would use such subtle self-promotional tactics myself if I could get away with it. I don't blame anyone for enjoying a privilege that I do not have, for if I did, I would be a hypocrite. I am only citing this in the context of this discussion to back my points with facts.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

Rio had a thread recently collecting opinions for his blog from bloggers regarding some marraige topic...it wasnt deleted right? so it equals out to the thread u r mentioning.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Did he link to his own blog?

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

doesnt matter if he linked or not...it was all about his blog and everyone knew it and participated

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

well.. i am more than open to a mature discussion, provided everyone takes in thte spirit.. I am new here, and am definitely not keen to start off on the wrong foot! 

apart from that, the one thread you mention is a valid point.. but then its just ONE post.. the fact that not many like that have popped up restores my belief on blogosphere.. unlike twitter or facebook

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

and if someone is capable of carrying out such clever publicity, i would actually commend that person.. i don't understand how others could fall for it so easily!!

also, perhaps you guys are familiar with each other for some time, so maybe its kinda cool among you guys to use names.. but since i know no one, i would avoid mentioning names!

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

i just went through that thread.. i have to say.. its very subtle.. well played!!

but who knows, perhaps he never intended it thst way!!

Nalini Malaviya
from Bangalore
10 years ago
I wonder why no one reviewed my blog even though it's been posted for more than a week!!! On a serious note, there is sometimes a gender bias and it is much more blatant at fb...
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I guess the majority here does not agree with what I say. In the absence of any panel of judges, the majority opinion should be the right one. Oh well, I tried. That should settle this topic. Thanks everyone for posting your views.

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

Agreed to most of your points.

Name some names. Don't be shy. Innocent

It was under guest blogging category, with explicit intentions to evolve a blogpost. Now, the post is also up at my blog with every participants bloglinks. If it is some violation I donot mind it's deletion.
Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

Madhu.. names can turn things ugly!! c'mon.. spicing things up is fine.. but stirrig the hornet's nest is scary!!

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

nice rio...i just wanted to defeat stag mann in his debate so used ur example, i had forgotten the guest blogging thing Tongue out

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

@Aersh, okhli mein sar diya toh moosal se kya darna.

@Stagg Man i was agreeing with you but missed writing your name. And to prove you somewhat wrong I am visiting your blog just now. Cheer up!

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hmmmm.... a lot to reflect......................

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

its abour darna.. in my other thread, things went out of hand with a debate turning into a battle with people taking things too literally and personally

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

@Madhu, nothing to cheer me up about. I'm cool. And I have already conceded defeat, so you don't have to visit my blog Smile

Khushrav W
Khushrav W
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ummm Natural law of order. The heart wants what the heart wants. :P

Just stay honest to your material and let your writing blossom. In the end it all boils down to, whether you love your writing more or the attention it gets!?  

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nice point to ponder KhushravSmile

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

WOW! People have so much time on paranoia and wasted local 'survey' observation. But I prefer alien stories. More colourful this way!

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Well, though it's somewhat volcanic but I must admit that Aersh Danish has raised a very delicate issue of blogosphere! I'm clarifying it beforehand that my views expressed here are not due to partial misery of my blogs... for that I blame nobody other than my laziness, insincerity and lack of initiatives or online social involvement... but I'm speaking here on the basis of my observation of renowned bloggers for many years.

Some observations:-

1) I've compared the statistics of comments received by few of the most successful male and female bloggers and seen that number of comments for a female blogger exceeds the male by 2-3 times! Interestingly at least 50% comments on a female blogger's blog are from females only. So, may be we can infer that female bloggers share the gender-fellow-feeling more than male bloggers. But, again, presently social sites play an important role in advertising our blog-posts and there females get the lead for whatsoever foolishness/greatness of males. The moment a lady puts a FB (just for example) status there takes off an airbus of conversation and mostly the post gets a good publicity. Unfortunately a male doesn't have that opportunity... yesss really! There was a good facebook funny-status about it- when a man posts a photo usually a hand few comments follow and that too like, "aare bandar jaise dikh raha hai saale", "aur kya baat hai naya goggles dikha rah hai kya?", "abe photu khichwane ki siva koi kam nahi hai ka?" etc etc... but when a woman puts her photo, comments start from double digit number and all sugary... heheee.... just my observation buddy, nobody should get annoyed on me....

2) Some female bloggers make it a point to put nice (actually I want to say alluring) photos in their sidebars or even headers... some are even animated ones, as if waving hand or giving a killer smile to her readers.... So how many good-knights can get over those temptations? Who is to blame? Simply nobody... If the blogger wants to use her expression as bait, let it be.... similarly, if readers (especially males with nothing productive to do) get some satisfaction by interacting with such princess in this virtual world let that be... in this whole process who suffers? Certainly male bloggers... I think even if they want, their animated profile photos 'throwing a flying kiss' towards their readers won't be magnetic enough.... Why? Because mode & medium of fantasies differ for male and female...

3) In initial period, a socially active female blogger start with a certain number of readers who usually admire her works irrespective of their qualities. Where as a male blogger starts with zero readership [Alas hahaaaa] and gradually gains some readers who blindly appreciate his works... What can be done now? Nothinggg... If your luck is not synergistic then you've shed more sweats to get the same result... undigestable but simple!

4) About qualities of work, I should confess females and males blog equally well.... unfortunately, in blogosphere you'll come across few very useless blogs (irrespective of the gender of the blogger) with many followers, readers, hits where as a quality blog often suffers from no traffic.

There are many other observations which I can post later as morning is not the appropriate time for online writing (yes, all due to paapi pet).... If I'm very neutral, my view is a female blogger has much more added advantage of readership especially in her initial period of blogging and even if her quality of work is not good she manages to maintain a plateau readership! It's to be kept in mind it's not her fault... it's one of the advantages she is getting owning to her gender and honestly speaking, the disadvantages a woman suffers due to her gender are much more than a man... Let us keep it in mind.

Cheers and Happy blogging guys and girls!!!

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

nice observations... btw who is that female blogger who has animated profile pic throwing flying kiss at readers??LaughingTongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nice Prof. AS you should get a degree in Facebooking.  BTW I had read a story on yahoo! about Americans getting their facejobs done just for Facebook Profile pics

Duniya wale chahe jal jal marein,
Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

interesting observation. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

rio...gaane ke aage ka line bhul gaye?? LaughingTongue out

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

@Anunoy, well analysed.

@Rio why should the people of the world burn thrice? Innocent

I guess I am guilty of replying to comments by male bloggers. :)

I don't care.

@Nandini sorry. I know you don't care as well. We are cool and not bothered by such small male/female issues. We have to save the world you know.Cool

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

@ Nandini Deka : Common how can I take any particular name in a public space unless the person has harmed me... but it's no exaggeration, very recently I landed to a blog and saw that charming approach.

@ VP : hahaaaa now I'm wondering what I've to take care of (ref: my facebook header)... this is certainly a bad joke... what do you say...

@ Rio : [Monkish smile]

@ Madhu: thanks a lot my friend [I knew you'd understand me wala smile]

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

yo right madhu!Cool

Madhu, may be my mobile want's to make me the thrice great Hermes, "god Knows"
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

@Anunoy- U basically summarized what I wanted to say but in a much more diplomatic and non offensive manner. Kudos!

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

@SM: When happenings are same observations can certainly match right?... after all observations are not fingerprints [grin]... FYI, before jotting down my say I really didn't read the entire thread... I just tried to answer thread opener's query... If using diplomacy and non offensive route serves the same purpose without making anybody feel 'shit' then why to take the bushy path hmmm? [Isn't there a point bro wala smile]

I see the real diplomat in you bro. Anunoy. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Oh yes, so you're ready to pass on the baton of diplomacy Rio? ['I am never an ape/cheetah but certainly a rhino' wala wink]

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Gender bias in blogosphere? It exists everywhere in this world. But I think it is different from the way you are looking at it.

I do not think female bloggers get more comments or readers because of their looks, infact not all female bloggers are exceptionally good writers when compared to male bloggers. There are good, better, best in both genders. Writing has nothing to do with genders. I believe that women take things more seriously and you will see a lot of women interacting with each other in these discussions while the guys are like "Whatever".

And a lot of bloggers, try to start a conversation in their posts. And some people respond to those! And it is a good thing. It's all about the interaction.

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

The second thing about a good photo alluring readers (of opposite sex) - I do not think it holds true in 90% of the cases. A profile thumbnail (like logo) represents our blog as a brand and us as brand ambassadors so shouldn't everyone present their best selves there? Some might go far but that is true for both genders! Maybe a few people might flock for the looks etc but a blog doesn't become successful because of them. Content is the king. And Google bot doesn't recognize pretty faces ;)

And about name calling - I have been active on IB for more than a month and I know exactly who have been pointed out. 

Well said Ritu

Ankita Singhal
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I agree with Ritu 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Content is the king. And Google bot doesn't recognize pretty faces

This is the key Ritu.  There are people who think that getting posted on forum or getting 100+ votes is the key.  The actual key is getting the blog to be successful with good content which makes people come back and refer/read your blog.  Faces dont matter

Very Diplomatic answer Vijay,  you will get along in life very well.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

No it is not a diplomatic answer Rio.  Ritu said the right thing.  People often think posting a thread on forum and getting 100 odd replies is success or getting 100 + votes is success then they are sadly mistaken.  If you open up old thread you will see many of the blogs who were on active on the dont exist any more.  Only ones in existence are those who have got solid content.

As far as I see it Forums are for discussing problems faced by the bloggers and/or some off topic discussions but lately I have seen that the forum is being used to attack individuals.  I can list them here but was hoping to start a seperate thread for that

Yes yes vijay, you omitted one or two lines cleverly

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ha Ha Rio did that on purpose.  Don't want to step on wrong toes eh?  There is always a certain Dr.Dang lurking around and giving thapad to him is strict no no Cool

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ritu very very well said. Agree with you on all the points!! Laughing

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

VP agree with you also. Good points!Laughing

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

wel said Ritu!

I can't agree more to your this thought - I believe that women take things more seriously and you will see a lot of women interacting with each other in these discussions while the guys are like "Whatever".

It needs to be kept in mind, a cool/sexy/tempting/convincing/friendly/magnetic photo will help one to get the initial boost only and future will be decided by richness of his/her contents... no denying of this fact buddy... yes bots don't recognise pretty faces... true true true... Cheers!!!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

AS maybe Google will come up with a face recognition bot soonCool

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hmmm VP.... but judging from the profoundness of the issue (not joking really) I prefer not to go off-topic in this thread [Smile]

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Neither me AS but I need to ask you how can (not joke really) and (smile) at the same timeInnocent

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

VP, smiling and joking are never a husband-wife... in the morning you pass on a good morning smile to your boss (out of courtesy mostly)... so, how much 'jokes quotient' do you think is attached to that smile? [wink]

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

True AS got your point, it is the smile you give to the traffic inspector who is stopping you after jumping a signal

True incidence comes to mind, A British diplomat was on a live talk show, and two stunning heroine s of his time were there, names I forget, at this juncture.

One lady asks him, who is more beautiful and diplomat says without a hitch, "you both are stunningly beautiful."

But this lady wanted to know more, so asks, "whom do you like more"

Diplomat Unperturbed :" I like you both equally, you both have equal place in my heart, "

Lady : "suppose we both were drowning, whom will you save first"

Diplomat: "whoever is nearest madam"

Lady still trying her best : "but if we both are equally far"

Diplomat slightly perturbed: "I will save both of you together"

Lady: "If you can save only one then"

Diplomat wavered: "Lady, As I see you know so much,  you must surely know how to swim. "

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Potential war zone ..

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Potential ??? It is a World War Z !!!

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i thought war was over yesterday...

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Nandini: seems the peace was just a temporary gap between two wars :P

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

GOD!!! does the war never get over! 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Sadly PEACE is just a myth my friend.  It is just a interval between two wars Smile

But where is our star diplomat Anunoy, come up bro.
Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

rio his diplomacy got dissected [ hehehe you had it coming wala smile ]Tongue out i think i can order my *popcorn* now

I just want to see his callibre, i admire his play of words too.
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

for friends waiting with coke and popcorn for my lengthy reply:-

Sorry, it's too sunny over here in my place and I'm already a dry mango peel even before it's midday... If you're interested I can recommend you D-Day [satisfies smile]

and I heard someone has misunderstood me as diplomat or word-juggler... eh?

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

IMHO, a blog is something which we maintain as our homes (rooms) . Now on the cost of generalizing, we can go back and see how boys and girls (or men and women)  maintain their homes/ rooms. For guys, it is mostly functional, something which is not useful will not be there. On the other hand, girls want more than just functionality, they go for aesthetics. 

While the content remains of the same quality for men and women, sometimes I have felt that the blogs run by men are more functional in nature and the ones by women are more good to look at (sometimes overdone, which looks immature). The first look does impress.

On followings- well, conversations hold an important place in blogging, especially in the comments section. I feel women score more in conversations and thus maintaining long blog-relationships, not necessarily with fellow bloggers from the opposite gender, but with their own kind. The more the conversations, the more the followers. 

Looks- I do not think it should matter. I am a big fan of a Lady blogger, without ever seeing her photograph (till last month). For me her looks lie in her words. Same goes for some great bloggers who are men. 

I am sorry if I am found to be generalizing, hypocritical or narrow minded; but I cannot hold to ransom, my right to free speech, for the fear of hurting the sentiments of people. After all, taking offense at the slightest pretext is our national passtime and can not be taken seriously anymore. 

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

that is an interesting point of view... blog and homes.. never thought on those lines at all!! 

btw.. then my blog should look like a clutter!! LOL

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Well, I have banked on generalization very heavily. You can pardon me for that :)

Aersh Danish
from Kolkata
10 years ago

chill dude... i get the idea.. i was just jokin... as ever, m the clown here!! 

but seriously speaking.. there is lot of sense in what you say!

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

If my blog was the equivalent of my room, that'd be the hardest puzzle I ever made. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

since you say blogs are homes, why be surprised if gals do little make up of their blogs like they do in real life?

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I don't think its opinion about a blog thats in question here. I can like/dislike your blog, just like you can like/dislike mine, and I don't think any of us have a problem with purely content based opinion be it positive or negative. The pictures/makeup however you put it is also content, and it may cause opinions to change about a blog. Thats all fine. I think the main problem here, is assuming that all the content that a person adds is for others' benefit. A lot of blogs are for others' benefit, I agree, but just like anywhere else, one must be careful before generalizing.

Take Pooja's blog for instance, she says above that she treats it like her diary, maybe a more public version of that little book most people keep under their pillow.. So she personalizes it, while also wanting to share her views. My blog, it is purely a means to have a "regular" platform for my created puzzles, so my content is based only on others' benefit, so I don't have much personalized pages (in fact I added a few after it was pointed out here on my review topic!). 

As I said on the other topic where all this started, its all about not thinking too much. To each their own, and just be yourself, if you think too much, you're just stepping on your own blogging experience. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

nice view Purnendu... your glasses are justified bro [smile]

Khushrav W
Khushrav W
from Mumbai
10 years ago

If only I'd want to write here as long and vividly as I do in my own posts. 

*Sigh*  

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

One thing I'll take away from this experience is that debate threads won't work here. Everyone wants to be oh so politically correct that you jut can't take up an aggressive POV without getting moral-policed. Maybe people need to be more mature and realize everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whatever they might be, and stop being so sanctimonius and holier-than-thou.

I wonder if you all follow the same line of political correctness in your blogs too that I see displayed on the forum. I know I don't, my blog is crude, vulgar and not only politically incorrect but at times politically embarassing, and I wouldn't change that style for all the hits and awards in the world. It's about taking a stand, Indibloggers, regardless of how other people judge you for it. Instead of seconding and thirding someone else, don't be afraid to think different just because it goes against the norm.

Anyway I hope this isn't called 'way out of line' or 'getting personal'. This is just me being poignant.

Stagg, at any place, be it forum, or tete a tete chit chats, no matter how much one harps on equality, all are just ornamental things, lending weight to speech. Practical harsh reality goes, and I have seen it to be very true at most occassions, Never argue with a lady. If you dig deep into threads of two years back, I had held some view to be correct and supported a friend vehemently, but later came to conclusion all was futile. The earlier one learns the better. My personal views and I may look traitor here, so be it.
Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Stagg Mann, this whole thing started because of this on the other topic, posted by you - "And one other thing, this might sound brutal, but you're a girl and that's a big part of why you're getting all those hits and comments. There's too many lonely guys out here looking for any way to start a conversation with a girl, and what better way than to comment on your blog. Trust me, I'm a guy, and I know these things." (Correct me if I'm wrong). 

So my point is, that was definitely unnecessarily getting personal, and it came out as more of an "attack" rather than just another debate point. Its not even about being politically correct, its about basic conversation skills, whether online, or offline. Rather than your point itself, its maybe the way you put your point across. Even now, you've basically written a long post attacking everyone for having their holier-than-thou/moral/politically-correct attitude and saying everyone has their own opinion in the same post. Being all that above is also people's opinion. If I think someone else's opinion is wrong, thats also my opinion. If you want to debate, you must be prepared to go all the way and do it right, rather than posting as an attack and then complaining about opinion when people retaliate. 

Again, this is just my opinion on why this debate spiralled out of control. I'm not a conversational wizard either, but i do understand that, if I want a healthy debate, I need to respect the fact that its a debate away from the participating people and about a certain topic.

Khushrav W
from Mumbai
10 years ago

The lay-out of the Forum itself negates healthy debate and conversation. Instead of giving in their two cents opinion and then having another person giving his rebuttal to that very point, we have people writing a long post, irrespective of seriousness, followed by a posse of people agreeing, liking, disliking, seconding, thirding and numerously high fiving. 

It takes such a lot of effort to know who made what important point that it gets exhausting just to form a rebuttal or opinion on it and the debate gets stale just scrolling through the page. 

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

PS I second, third, fourth you.

Well said!! Smile

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

got ur point SMCool....by the way people should take criticism with a pinch of salt. everyone indeed has right to their own opinions and that wont change. but whatever you say also reflects the kind of person he is, so he might get criticised back, so accept that too with grace.

If someone said something about  someone's blog pictures, that person has equal right to hit back and say what was said in reply aboveCool 

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

@Rio, truer words have never been spoken brother. Amen to you.

@Prasanna- The part you quoted as said by me is correct, I used the exact words. I don't understand how it is personal. I am not even blaming women but the men, saying it is the men who ruin the authenticity of a blog. I am pretty sure if you read that quote of mine, you would also have read that I said I myself would use these tactics if I could get away with it, who wouldn't? But I don't understand why you pick and choose my quotes and cite my out of context. I am not saying it is deliberate, maybe you have some unconscious bias against me.

And secondly, I am not against questioning opinions, but I think between the 2 of us, there seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the difference between attacking an opinion and attacking the person behind an opinion. I am all for the former, and against the latter. Attacking an opinion is not getting personal, attacking the person is. 

You gave a long expressive reply, and I appreciate it and am returning it by taking the trouble to write a long reply. Here we are engaged in a healthy debate of attacking opinions. But if instead of this reply, I wrote something like 'Sorry too long couldn't read'', that would make me an internet troll who attacks people because I am not intelligent enough to attack opinions, and in  turn I can expect attacks on myself too.

I hope you see the difference. I have also put in extra effort to be very neutral in this post so it is not misunderstood as a personal attack.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Why am I feeling that the sun is so caring in most other places... people really can afford to do or see BOOM BOOM (remember Afridi?).. may be I'll get that after the sunset [hopeful smile]

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

See again, you're basically thinking about hidden bias, context, blah blah blah, when there's nothing like that. Context is irrelevant since I'm mainly talking about how that point might have seemed to readers, rather than whether you are right or wrong (hence all the rubbish I wrote about conversational skills Wink). The thing is, as you are doing now, you get defensive and hint at hidden agendas, moral policies, political correctness blah blah when I just pointed out a basic conversational point. Its just too much thinking dude. If you want a healthy debate, see that you're doing your part.

Anyway, the thing is, like I said, it doesn't matter what you said in later posts. That post came out like a personal attack. Why did it come out like a personal attack? Because you basically implied that most of the feedback Pankti gets is not because of her content, and that is a personal attack at the quality of her blog. Even if you didn't mean it that way, basic conversational traits imply that enough that she can interpret it that way. And if she does, she will retaliate in tune. Its maybe not your fault, you do have a point. I know that in general girls on facebook, etc. get a whole bundle of likes for their pics and what not, and that does go on. But the thing is, instead of saying "Oh, some of these blogs might have some likes simply because its a male viewin a female's blog", you basically went all out and said that "a big part" of Pankti's hits and comments are because she's a girl. Thats definitely not putting your point correctly, if I understood your point. Unless of course you did research about Pankti's blog and backed it up with facts, but you didn't, so..

Yes, you need to be careful when making delicate points. Thats why they are delicate points. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

prasanna....now someone else got in the hot water not SM Laughing see pooja's reply Tongue out

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Hehe, I saw that. I think I even mentioned it in a reply above Tongue out

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

@Prasanna- I agree with what you said about hidden agenda, context, blah blah blah. I was wrong, I was probably being defensive and therefore take back whatever I said there Smile.

As for the second paragraph, I reiterate that it was not personal, my comment was targetted at men who comment on women's blogs for the heck of it. I have never read Pankti's blog and wouldn't know about it, but I do know about men who comment on blogs. Anyway maybe it appeared personal, harm's done, no point revisiting it.

And as for the last point about being careful when making delicate points, it's a 2-way street. People need to be careful interpreting delicate points without simply lashing out. If you look for something offensive in every post, you will most definitely find it and be offended, and that's just not a happy place to be. My last statement was targetted at your statement and not you, so no offense pleaseSmile.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I never take offense, its one of my biggest flaws Tongue out

Anyway, I think this is one of those rare cases where its not a two-way street, simply because thats how society is. A basic understanding of the different backgrounds people come from is important. If a male talks to a female about gender based issues, the male automatically needs to be careful, and this is no slight on anyone at all, it is just that in general, in society, with good reason, females can feel like victims in a way. Someone like you or me who haven't been through this wouldn't understand how that generally feels so its up to us to be careful about how to approach a related topic. Its similar to a conversation about racism between two people of different races, the race that has been oppressed through history will feel like a victim, and its upto the other to approach cautiously and respect those feelings.  

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I beg to differ. We see all these national and local politicians getting offended over some scene in a new movie or what some celebrity tweeted, and they call a hartal or go on a rampage of violence. We condone their actions, we talk about how they are just waiting for a chance to be offended. I feel we should be the same way with our peers, regardless of their gender, we should give them a reality check when they deserve it. But then, that's just my opinion. Let's just agree to disagreeSmile.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ataboy PS spoken like true Socrates protege

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well, if you're looking to give a reality check, that means, in your mind, you are surely on the correct side of the debate, which is the wrong way to approach a debate I think. Also, politicians, celebrities do not make a good comparison here, I doubt either of them are ever oppressed as females have been in general over time in society Wink Of course at the end we can disagree, just thought I'd point out what I think is a flawed comparison.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@Stagg Mann - condone or condemn?

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I was talking about reality check not in terms of a debate but in terms of a discussion being a 2-way street, which is what we were talking about. Regardless of an opinion being popular or not (because I disagree that there is a right/wrong opinion), a person is entitled to air that opinion and not be chastized for it. Of course we are disagreeing, but I just wanted to point out this misunderstandingSmile

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Condemn. *facepalm* the edit button had disappeared by the time I reread it and I was hoping nobody would notice the gaffe.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

SM they may give u back a reality check in return too Wink

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Ah right, misunderstood that. The point still stands though. The oppressed group feeling like victims is also a reality, maybe you should check it Laughing

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Nandini I'm all for it. I give back as good as I get it and sometimes better, just hope nobody would say its uncalled for or below the belt or too personal. Everyone's a badass until the sh!t hits the fan, including me.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

@Prasanna- but on the internet, everyone is an equal. Physical characteristics and whatever factors  oppress women in society are completely out of the equation, there is no threat of dangerSmile. So it is my opinion that they are not oppressed on a forum, and shouldn't be given special treatment.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

They're still the same people from real life, though, they don't suddenly become different and forget all the experiences once online Wink No human is that good at compartmentalization. At the base of it, just respect the fact that they are humans with a certain different background to yours, which holds true individually too, but definitely more pronounced in the broader group dynamic. 

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

In real life, my mantra has always been 'if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch'. Its how I was brought up in an uber competitive environment by people who pulled no punches, and I'm the same online when I blog or post on the forum. And I know girls who grew up with me who are just as tough, so it's hard for me to think of women as dainty creatures- I was brought up by strong women, and my best friend is a strong woman, and I just refuse to believe that women are emotionally weak or inferior and need special treatment. If a woman is like that, it's not because she is a sensitive woman, but because she is a sensitive person. But that's just my opinionSmile

At the end of the day, you've hit the nail on the head- it all boils down to who each one of us is as an individual and where we come from. You and I are different and will never come around to the other's side. But that's also my opinion and /i don't mean to offend you by saying you are different from meSmile

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

See, I think you're conflicting your wants here. You wanted a healthy debate, not a tough fight right? If its a tough fight you were looking for, these girls gave you that, and in no way was I implying they aren't tough, and neither should you be, seeing how defensive you got by the end Tongue out I didn't say that these women are weak, I just said they have some feelings due to society, and so will lash out if you put your point across in a harsh way. So basically, my argument wasn't that "women are weak" at all, contrary to that, I was just saying if its a delicate topic, and if you don't approach it with the care that it deserves, its understandable with the general knowledge of society that they will lash out at you, and so you won't get your healthy debate that you want. If its a pull-no-punches-take-all-comers attitude you want, thats what you got here, so you shouldn't complain about healthy debates. Decide one and hold to that Wink

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I didnt get defensive, I apologized because they felt what I was saying was "uncalled for"/"below the belt"/"too personal". If I really let loose, a lot of people would be crying foul, and more importantly, I am not aware of the rules and regulations here and dont want to risk a ban.

I didn't complain, I apologized to the complaints I was getting. Don't see how it is being interpreted as the complete opposite. But you are entitled to your opinionSmile.

To put it very delicately, I suspect you are conflicting your statements here. Two days back, I was the one getting too blunt/ personal. 2 days later, I am the one complaining the same thing about other peopleSurprised . Confused.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Out of curiosity, which post are you referring to as an apology? Surprised I really hope its not the base one that we've been replying on right now. 

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

It's in the very same thread you earlier quoted me from. I am a bit surprised that you missed it. But anyway, I'm not reading into it, or saying anything about 'context'. Here the post is-

@Madhu- not really, but I'll apologize just in case any sentiments have been hurt. I have been taught to respect my elders. I'll be the bigger man- sorry everyone in case I was too brutal or straightforward with my opinions. This will be my last post in this thread.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

SM no its same PS is perfectly right, two days back you got personal and they started hitting u back equally then u complained when u felt their punch....Wink

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I hope you see that there is no conflict on my end. I didn't "complain" about anyone else's posts, I maintain they have the right to type whatever the hell they want through their account, but so do I. I just apologized for being a little blunt with my opinions, and wish everyone doesnt have to apologize for saying what they are thinking. But then again, thats jusy my opinionSmile

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well, I was mainly replying to your first post that started it and this particular post that we're replying to, citing that perhaps even though your views may be genuine, your approach puts you away from your desire of a healthy debate. Thats been my point all along, and I only took the trouble to put that across, because you wanted a healthy debate, and I just wanted to say you might have made that happen with a bit more careful approach. Smile 

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Nandini I didn't complain, I just asked why I am the only one being accused of saying things that were "hitting below the belt"/ "personal"/ "uncalled for" (Actual phrases used against me, so you know I'm not the one  complaining). When I didn't get a reply, I simply apologized and left that thread, because I figured it was a wrong tone to use with elders. Please dont say I complained, if I really wanted to go personal, I myself would feel terrible afterwards.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Prasanna- yes you agree I used the wrong approach, in that I was too blunt with my words. Which has been my view as well. I hope that settles it.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

well check ur posts again dude Cool today also u complained that they were moral policing while actually they were also expressing their opinions and no one can stop them either Wink they also give what they getCool

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Yup, settled. Peace for all! Innocent

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Nandini, check it. They didn't 'give what they got', they got what they gave. Then they complained that it is 'uncalled for'/ 'below the belt'/ 'personal'/ 'targetting'. That is not giving what they got, that is simply complaining about playing rough, for which I already apologizedInnocent.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

all the gals gave back big time!!! infact whacked the guys back as good as they got. Yes u did complain as PS also pointed out. Strange u are not realizing it though. Wink

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

Lol ok if that's your opinion. Anyone who read that thread can form their own opinions. Though if I did complain, I would have asked for an apology, not given one.

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I said, peace for all! Yell If you don't listen, I'll ask Sfurti to discipline all of you with peas for all Yell

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

So now what is the point of debate? 

1. Guess everyone agrees women do get a little bit more traffic than guys due to existense of desperate guys.

2. However I think it may not be fair to say women seek this kind of traffic deliberately. (Most women at least. Every rule of course has exceptions). 

3. Question of right to opinions v/s hate speech, personal attack v/s attack on ideas are not straightforward and I don't see any resolution. 

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Will somebody please explain what this thread is about Yell

The TS asked a simple question as below

As for men, and I know hardly anyone would agree to it.. but do you guys actually prefer to visit the blogs of pretty girls maybe coz you think you can strike off a conversation? Or is it the content of the blog that draws the reader? 

And all replies are about the views/replies/hi5s/seconds/thirds/fourths for and anit females getting attention on the FORUM

The threadstarter is saying of blog visits not about forum replies 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago
VP, the question asked is the vague one unless each and every blogger starts interrogating their visitors to know their intention for visiting the blog. How can I say why ABC visited my blog? In the same way, how would you know why I visited your blog if I don't specify it? Hence, according to me, this thread doesn't serve any purpose except to inflame a war between male and female sex. But again that's my opinion!
Pooja
from Nagpur
10 years ago

Exactly. Pankti is right. This topic has just become a dissing spot.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

dissing spot > To show disrespect to, often by insult or criticism

Prasanna Seshadri
from Bangalore
10 years ago

We should open Dissing spots across India. Major business attraction Cool People love to see other people arguing Money mouth

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

In the end, what is wrong if people visit the blogs ?

"Jis jis se path par sneh mila, uus uus raahi ko dhanyawaad" Tongue out

Shrikant
Shrikant
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Jaage hain der tak hamein.. kuch der sone do.. thodi si raat aur hai.. subah to hone do..

DS
DS
from Mumbai
10 years ago
The thread has gone absolutely nowhere what with some people spewing venom. The thread is locked for flaming and trolling. Should have done this couple of days ago, actually, but better late then never.
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Jinhe naaz hai Hind per wo kahaan hai 

Kahan hai

LockThis topic is locked.