Protecting my blog from SPAM messages

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Hi All,

Off late I am getting a lot of spam (>50) in my blog. My spam filter is set but recently (last two weeks) I have seen extreme increase in spam message. Some of my articles are shared far and wide with govt., legal authorities and lournalists...and will be shared even in future.  see most spam messages in those articles. I have been trying to stop this for last two weeks but in vain and hence this topic.

I am afraid that something wrong is happening ..

Please help..

Partha

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Do you have akismet enabled in your wordpress blog account?

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

No...How Akismet can help?

Abhirath Mahipal
from chennai
10 years ago

Akismet blocks all the spam comments. It's free and you just have to install it.

I get some 2000 spam comments every month. Akismet automatically filters all the spam comments. I don't even have to do read them. For the matter of fact I don't have to do anything.

Preeti
Preeti
from San Francisco, CA
10 years ago

Ditto... Akismet is awesome for spam whacking.

Get it here: http://akismet.com.  You need to get a WordPress key and then activate the key while in your wp-admin dashboard of your blog.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Also, do not have the word "admin" as your user ID. It is highly prone to hacking. 

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

true that, and there are other ways to stop hacking. Try the Wordfence plugin for Wordpress. 

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

As others already suggested Akismet, here is another option.

You can also use Captcha which shows distorted image of random words, letters or numbers which the user has to input to be able to comment on the page. This disables automated scripts (majority of spam) to be able to add a comment on blogs. Some Captchas are relatively simpler like using simple Maths (2 + _ = 5) and easier for users, but still difficult for scripts to ascertain. 

However this could in a very very small way reduce user experience. Majority of them do not mind, as Captcha has become more of a norm. 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

To avoid the irritating captchas , you can go with interactive captachas : http://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/interactive-captcha Laughing

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

that is a good one :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Smile

Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin is far better than Askimet. In 3 days of using GASP I went from 1500 SPAM comments to 7!Here is the direct link: http://wordpress.org/plugins/growmap-anti-spambot-plugin/It should stop 99% of all automated spam bots.Let me know if you have any more questions regarding comment spam.

Regards,

Amrik Virdi

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. Really there are so many things to learn...

Partha

LockSign in to reply to this thread