Friends please teach me how to make a SITEmap

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Hello folks,

I searched it in google but the explanations I got there were far above my small brain. So, anybody kind enough to explain in layman's terminologies how to create a sitemap for my blogs...yes both of them are under blogger dot com....

[Smile and cheers]

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Monu Alagh
Monu Alagh
from Ambala
10 years ago

ok i teach you to create site map... simpley go to webmaster tools->crawl->submit sitemap->Go to Add Test sitempa and add the following atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=500.... Submit and enjoy google will index your blog after some time... first it shows pending after some time it shows .... url indexed...

Thanks from http://techdark.com

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

Thanks a lot Ramesh...  your advice clicked! Can you kindly guide me what should be my next approach? [hesitant]

Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Dude..  Signatures and URL are not allowed in IndiForum... 

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Bro ur sitemaps are simple 

1. www.traveljerry.com/sitemap.xml or  traveljerry.com/sitemap.xml

2. www.anunoy.com/sitemap.xml or anunoy.com/sitemap.xml

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

@ Vijay Those url's do not exist. Tongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yep sorry I forgot it was a custom domain :D Anunoy you take this down >

atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=500

atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=500&max-results=1000

add this one at a time in front of traveljerry and anunoy.com  The Sitemap window will look like this 

http://awesomescreenshot.com/00b1mp5785

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

VP didn't I tell you that those URLs didn't work? [Grrrrr.....]

Monu Alagh
Monu Alagh
from Ambala
10 years ago

sorry vishal i don't know about that... from now i am not posting signatures and url's...

Nandini: a sitemap is a list of pages of a website or a blog that helps users or crawlers to access your website... to see any website sitemap www.anysite.com/sitemap.xml

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

blogspot blogs also has sitemaps?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Blogspot blogs do have have a special sitemap but the feed itself can be used as a sitemap as it contained a list of the url's of your blog posts. 

Monu Alagh
Monu Alagh
from Ambala
10 years ago

yes blogspot blogs are alsohaving sitemaps.. see my above comment..there i discussed how to submit sitemap in blogspot blogs...

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Those are not true sitemaps. They are feeds which can be used as sitemaps. 

A sitemap in general doesn't include text from the article while a feed does. 

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

When I submitted sitemap for my TravelJerry, they said 51 pages submitted when I have 55 posts! Why would it be so...any idea guys? [sad]

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

@ Jerry ( Tongue out ) But your blog Archive gadget says 50 posts. Innocent

I think some of those 55 posts are in draft. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

you got a problem with Jerry [Grrrrrr]

yes now i remember they were sponsored posts, so I had hidden them later [smile]

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ranjith you are getting better and better Jerry is perfect name for Anunoy 'Doc' SamantaWink

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Sorry read that as anunoy dot samanta

Monu Alagh
Monu Alagh
from Ambala
10 years ago

right ranjith either 4 articles are deleted or in draft,,,, or you blocked them from webmaster tools... 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

thanks Monu..... any further tip to this newbie is most welcome [smile]

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nadini and everyone, just wanted to clarify that Site Map is not only the XML we use to submit to Google. 

Site Map is a overall picture of how the site has been laid out.. what sections, sub-sections and pages for someone to get a bird's eye-view. Many of the top Corporate / User help websites in the world have a site map section. Here is an example of Site map on Infosys website

The XML (eXtensible Markup Language) coded Site Map is a file that lists down all pages on the site, including sections and feeds to the Google Bot. This makes life easy for Google Bot and other similar robots/crawlers by telling them that you have X number of posts, and where they are. The Robots/Crawler then crawls to each of these pages and saves relevant information to their servers to help search functions. 

Your XML Sitemaps contiain following information:

• URL - the address of the page
  • Priority - You can give priority to some of the pages/pages - Google / other bots identify this information and you have considered information on a particular page on higher priority. Prioirty is given in %. 100% means full priority and 0% none. 
  • Change Frequency - How often will this page change. You Blog home page will have a change frequency of Daily, but others can be set at monthly. This way, Bots will not hit your servers daily, except for the home page where you will change content more freqently. 
  • Last changed date - the time stamp when you last changed your content 

It is always advisable to have your Sitemap updated to the T. If you do not have a site map updated to the latest changes, chances are that the Robots/Crawler may ignore the new pages. 

On self-hosted wordpress, you get plugins that can do this for you, and generate a site map daily. 

Read more on http://sitemaps.org/

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

ok...xml thing is just showing some text..no clickable links

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

That is exactly how it should be.. no links will be clickable, but links would be present... 

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hemal I did the sitemap thing long time back, for my homepage.

Do I need to do it again?? 

And what is submitting URLs to google? Is that sitemap only?

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

SFJ - If your Sitemap is not auto updated, then you should do it at least twice a month. I am not sure about Blogger, but for Wordpress there are plugins that do this automatically, every day. 

If there is no automation on Blogger, it is best to follow the manual process - update your Site Map twice a month manually. Since your last update, there many be many more posts that you posted which do not figure in the Site Map (non-autogenerated) and hence you are at a disadvantage. 

Submitting URLs to Google - 

This bit means you are telling URL to Google. First, you need to inform Google that such an site exists. Even for Blogspot users, I assume. Second comes the content. 

1. Signup for Google Webmasters, add your Blogspot URL there. http://xxxxxx.blogspot.com
  2. Google will ask you to verify ownership - add a meta tag in your blog theme HTML (remember, you will need to do this again when you change your theme)
  3. Generate a XML SiteMap using any site.. tons of them are available and free.. 
  4. Once generated, download and save your XML file. 
  5. You will need to upload this to your Blogspot, and add the file path to your Google Webmasters Submit Sitemap feature. 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Hemal, for blogger blogs generating a sitemap is not possible ( you will have to use the feed as a sitemap ) 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

yeh sab kya hai yaarInnocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

sitemap Tongue out

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

There is no need of adding a sitemap if your contents are being crawled by Google. If you still want to do it, here is the process for Blogger blogs :

1. Go to webmaster tools ( https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ ) and add your blog if it is not already added. ( Blogger blogs are added by default to webmaster tools ) 
  2. Click on your blog's link on the home page of webmaster tools.
  3. On the left, click Crawl > Sitemaps
  4. Click Add / Test site map.
  5. In the text box that appears, enter atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=500 and click submit sitemap.

And it's done! Laughing

If you have more than 500 posts, you should submit more sitempas : 

• atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=501&max-results=500
  • atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1001&max-results=500
  • atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1501&max-results=500

... and so on ... 

Now, when you post new articles on your blog and want to resubmit your sitemap

1. Go to Crawl > SiteMaps
  2. On the bottom, click the checkbox beside the sitemap url and click resubmit button.
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Good info Ranjith! There are a lot of things I do not know about how Blogger works.. I had left it for good, in 2007! :) 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I understood it on reading your previous reply. Wink

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

oh my my my...wats all theseInnocentCool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Nandini, it's easy. But as I already said, not really required if your posts are shown when you search for a paragraph from your blog. Smile

Raghavendar
Raghavendar
from Chennai
10 years ago

If you are using Wordpress Google XML Sitemap plugin is the way to go. You just need to create XML file in the server and the plugin takes care of the rest.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/installation/

LockSign in to reply to this thread