Harper Collins: Book Reviews , Why is it limited to one book per blogger?

Madhu Bhardwaj
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
My question is the same as the topic for this thread. New books are introduced over time and those who applied to review another one earlier are not eligible to apply for the new ones. I suggest that those who review a book should then be eligible to apply for another one. What do you say folks?
Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Madhu, I haven't received a single book for review from HC despite applying for it in the first hour itself. Undecided How can I even think about the second one? Yell I am not that optimistic Tongue out

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Oh. I think this is the same issue of your address not being updated in the data base. Have you done it again? I received a book yesterday and visited the page today to see new books updated there. The new ones look good and would be fun to review. Hence my question. Didn't Renie assure you that the address issue will be resolved? Do remind him.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Madhu, I don't have address issue. In August, I did receive Ambipure clip. So I don't think that's the issue.

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Good to hear that Pankti. At least the address jinx is gone. I believe many have received the books over the last few days so yours must be on the way.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Ameen to that Madhu. Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I didn't get my clip. Frown

I'll order one today so that I can take part in that review contest. Undecided

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

princess ji.///so since u got clip and also won fablery...u cant cry henceforth that u didnt recieved anything or won nothingWinkLaughingCool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

ji? Rio has patent on the word ji. Tongue out

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i wanted to say flying witch ji...but controlled myselfTongue out

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

ND, I know Smile BTW, Evan Grae Davis from that Idea Caravan yesterday gave my blog special mention in his blog Wink That made me deliriously happy LaughingCool

PS: Although mine is one of the six specially mentioned, I am still happy about it Tongue out

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

link bata....btw did u finish ur story?

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

ND, I am not sure if I can give the link here. Innocent And I am near the completion of first draft of the novella. By Thursday, I should be done with the first draft Laughing

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Pankti You can give the link. Tongue out

ND Flying witch! Surprised

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i think u can if its that idea featured people's blog

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Ok. Here is the link: http://evangraedavis.com/dozens-of-indian-bloggers-take-on-gendercide-after-seeing-tedx-talk/

It's a small thing but it made me happy Tongue out

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Wah Pankti for the special mention. See these are the things that matter. ND what is this Fablery that Pankti won?
Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

congrats...urs was the fattest paragraph they chose....party girl!WinkCool

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Thanks ND and Madhu. Laughing

Madhu, there's this contest of getting published by Fablery. I am one of the winners of the first round. Once we complete the 2nd round, the winner's story will get published. Smile So if I want to get published, I have to win 2nd round too Tongue outSmile

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I have not recieved anything from Indiblogger till date Yell

Not fair Yell

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Sf You'll receive! You'll receive! Very soon! Very soon! Tongue out

Priyanka Roy Banerjee
from Pune
10 years ago

Congrats Pankti, I read your post on the Evan Grae Davis video. Coincidentally my husband too had written a post on that. He didn't get any prize in the contest here, but got a mention on Evan's website too :) (and he's darn happy about it!)

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Priyanka, thanks Smile I too didn't get any prize Cry But yes, I did get a mention on Evan's website Cool BTW, which one is your husband's post? I am curious now Wink

Priyanka Roy Banerjee
from Pune
10 years ago

Can't post the link here, Pankti. Its the blog named 'Words, More or Less.' 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Ok Priyanka. Checking that out. Smile BTW, congrats to him too Smile

Prasanna Rao
Prasanna Rao
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I have received two books-Jacob Hills and The Caretaker from HC. I think the block is only for a limited time period(maybe for a month), so that everyone gets a chance to receive the book and read it. I thought the criteria of selection was FCFS basis.

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Good for you Prasanna! So it is possible to receive and review more than one book .
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

New books are introduced over time and those who applied to review another one earlier are not eligible to apply for the new ones. 

I think you are confused. A blogger is allowed to apply for one book in each set. The sets till now are 

• Set 1 : Just Married, Please Excuse
  • Set 2 : Jack is Back
  • Set 3 : Toke
  • Set 4 : 7 books - Jacob Hill, Silent Cinema etc etc
  • Set 5 : 7 books - Pittho's World, etc etc

I got the book in set 2, set 3 and one book in set 5 ( Pitthos World ) 

I wasn't selected for 'Just Excuse' book.

Set 4 book - I applied for Silent Cinema. I can't see any reviews for that book. So, I think they didn't start dispatching that book.

And limiting each blogger to a single book in each set is fair, I think. Everyone gets a chance. And imagine, who will have the time to read and review seven books at once! Surprised

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

set 1 n 2...i wasnt there, i got set 3 ( toke ) n 4 ( tower of silence )  n 5 ( prophet of love ).........................

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Hey, I did not see that there are different sets. Hmmm.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

ND I didn't get set 4 Undecided

Madhu Laughing

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

but i dont see any of my reviews up..i see urs toke....why mine is missing...why why why why

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

ND May be Renie forgot about the reviews. Undecided

Or may be, the software messed up with your review link. Shoot a mail to Renie asking to hunt for your lost review link. Cool

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

CryCool

Priyanka Roy Banerjee
from Pune
10 years ago

Agree with Ranjith here, I think you are confused, Madhu. I have applied, for set 4 and 5, and got two books. They dispatch quite late, I had almost forgotten that I applied for set 5, and it arrived today as a surprise. My husband had applied one in set 5, his book came last saturday. 

I am quite confused about their selection process for reviewers though! 

Sumit Nangia
from Pune
10 years ago

I applied for all the set of books, but received only for Set -5.  Shooting for a century. Hope after a genuine review, I would be considered more often.  I'll start reading it soon enough. Is there a deadline to submit the review as well ?

Received my book today :)

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Good for you Sayantini. :)

I have applied for 2 books never got any. I bought them anyway and submitted my reviews. But they are not published in the Read Review link either. :(

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
That is really odd Narasimha. Your not getting the books is still understandable as there are many such instances but not posting the review? That is odd. May be it is because they have a tracking system and post reviews from only those people to whom they have sent the books. Or may be there is a moderation process for the reviews that they receive and it takes time for that.

I don't think it is the moderation process, since I have submitted one of my reviews on 3 Sep 2013 for Not Only The Things That Have Happend by Mridula Koshy. It still is not visible. The other thing you have said might be correct, as in they might be posting reviews only from those people whom they have sent the books.

I gave a very favorable rating for the book. But for Pittho's world my review was not very favorable. So, it also rules out that they publish only favorable reviews.

The last thing I can think of is that, I posted my review on my goodreads account as well. So that might have worked against me due to some policy at HC.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

well my both reviews are not up yet...i submitted sometime in aug...so i dont think any of the things u are speculating are true at the moment

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

As far as I know, all reviews, whether favourable or not are published. But I'm not sure about the other part about review not being published because they didn't send the book. 

And about your review not being made visible, it has been only a month since you submitted our review. They do the moderation once every 1-2 months ( or whenever they like Tongue out ) 

Have you posted your reviews on IndiVine?

I did. Though I don't think "Review should not be posted on IndiVine" would be one of the criteria to publish Laughing

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

why have they kept indivine if u cant post ur reviews too in it? Undecided theres no such criteria...except perhaps certain contest entries

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Though I'm sure about it ( and I haven't done it ), posting reviews on both the review page and IndiVine is allowed. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

wowie! PC Hardware reviewers don't have this lame rule! HURAAAH!!! :P

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

It's because hardware reviewers are few in numbers. ( You are the only one I know who has a hardware blog Sealed ) while almost every personal blogger reads books and does not consider writing a review to be a difficult task. ( It is a different task that book reviews on blogs differ a lot from those published in newspapers Foot in mouth )

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Actually, even mainstream sites don't have that limit. Its more on you, so its you who will have to be organized and schedule things accordingly. This one book limit is a good question, but then again I guess that is expected when they send samples (in this case, books) to a lot more than 1-10 people, that also via a site like indiblogger who provide certain services for the clients and stuff for bloggers to write about and/or win.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Besides, I don't have limits because I am The Sorcerer!

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

theres no hardware book on that review link..Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Hardware Books? Computer Architecture? 8085? Laughing

Sumit Nangia
from Pune
10 years ago

Indi should also consider a few other categories of books - Like Blink, something from Orhan Pamuk etc. 

That would add to the genre, not everyone reads fiction these days.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

@ Sumit I think you forgot that this book reviews program is from HC. So, only HC books are given! Foot in mouth

All the reviews are published now :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

This thread reminded them of the pending moderation queue! Wink

So, the conclusion is that you can post a review even if you don't receive the book! Laughing

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Great! So Harper Collins reads our threads or as is more likely someone from Indiblogger nudged them and they woke up. Either way...more power to bloggers. Yoo hoo.
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
@Ranjith, ..and that you can get more than one book for review. So i believe, we are all 'talked out' on this thread. Thanks all for your responses.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

HC doesn't read our threads. I think it is IndiTeam that moderates book review submissions. Wink

LockSign in to reply to this thread