Argh! Someone tried to break in!

Archana Joyce
Archana Joyce
from Chennai
10 years ago

Someone has been trying to hack into my gmail and wordpress accounts for a while now. Sometimes from Prague, sometimes from Brazil...

Sorting it out with Google and coming up with a gazillion password combinations has eased the situiation.

Have you been the victim of hackers before? What do you do to keep your identity and privacy safe?

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Happened with my Twitter 2 days back, it was sending direct messages (spam) to my followers. Yell

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Was it because of hacking or because of the apps you have authorised for your twitter account with 'Direct Messages' permission?  Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ranjith no Apps other then Google Analytics, WMT and Twitterfeed Frown

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Why don't those hackers try to break into my account? Is it because of my longgggggg password? Laughing

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Ranjith, I bet you must have heard of Brute Force and MD5CRK attacks Innocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Yes. So my longgggg password is the secret, right? Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I know your password Ranjith Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Tongue out

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Shadows Galore keep getting attacked by hackers and spam bots. Did three things to safeguard: 

1. Cloudflare security increased

2. Maths captcha for bots 

3. Stop Spammer plugin  

If you are on wordpress.com , you can make use of the two layered security settings to safeguard your site. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I get a lot of hashbrute attempts, of which which I used a plugin which locks that IP address from trying to attempt for the next 360 hours. Banning ip address via Cpanel didn't help since they were using TOR anonymous IP addresses. But then it kept on increasing on a daily basis. So, I've not only changed the login page URL, but I've redirected the old login page to one of the best youtube videos of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7lp9umG2I

This was done 1 month ago, and that old login page was redirected 1800+ times within that time.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Cloudflare didn't do help for me btw.

Jaideep Khanduja
Jaideep Khanduja
from New Delhi
10 years ago

yes, i got trapped once and my skype and gmail account was hacked instantly. Had to run a 3 days marathon with both to get it back after rounds of verifications and ultimately proving that those were really my accounts.

What I do is - keep my password atleast 12 characters with a combination of caps, small, special characters and numerals.

Archana Joyce
Archana Joyce
from Chennai
10 years ago

Thank you guys for all the tips. Creating an iron clad password has given me some reprieve.

Sometimes logging in with two steps... like code sent to mobile number... dosen't always work well for me. But it is a good option if one is extremely vulnerable I guess. 

So many brilliant people and I understand so little of the Tech Talk Cry

LockSign in to reply to this thread