Photography Advice Needed - New Delhi

Jose Pratheesh
Jose Pratheesh
from Ooty - Dubai
10 years ago

Hi all,

We are planning to visit Delhi in December (Yes in freezing Dec) for five days. We hope to do the hop on hop off bus tour with our parents who will meet us there.

However, do you have any advice on offbeat or other ‘hidden jewel’ type places to shoot some incredible images?

A photo walk if you must. We will be doing two days of monument visiting and one day of Agra with the folks.

So I have around 2 days free. I don’t mind meeting up with a bunch of Delhiites for a photo walk either.

And my wife (you probably know her blog here on Indiblogger) and I are backpacking in Manila before the Delhi visit, so we’ll be travelling light with our Nikon 3200.

Any advice you give us will be great.

Regards,

Jose

Edited 10 years ago
Reason: Changed Category
Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Amit Pattnaik
Amit Pattnaik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Hi Jose,I can suggest you a few places but I do not know how far will they be to your liking ultimately. Still, if you are looking for colours in your photographs, you would probably love to visit the markets. In that respect, Chandni Chowk (Old Delhi) area especially the narrow lanes that house several shops selling sarees, salwars, fancy items for ladies is a must visit. But let me tell you that the area is very congestedSealed But worth visiting. Moreover just some 50 or 100 metres away is the Red Fort from Chandni Chowk which I am sure you would be visiting (you said you will be visiting the monuments). Just make sure that you do not visit Chandni Chowk on Sunday (the market remains closed) and Red Fort remains closed on Mondays probably (I amn't sure though). Jama Masjid is also not far away.Janpath near Connaught Place, Dilli Haat at INA (near AIIMS), Sarojini Nagar, Lajpat Nagar, South Extension are a few other notable market places. India Gate, Lotus Temple, Red Fort, Qutub Minar, Purana Quila (Old Fort), Akshardham Temple etc, I guess, will be on your itinerary when you do the bus tour. 

And if you wish to visit the old forts and structures of the Mughal times by yourself, you will find quite a few, though in somewhat dilapidated condition, in Hauz Khas (you will also get various art and antique markets here in Hauz Khas) and in areas around Mehrauli like Mehrauli Archaeological Park, Jamali Kamali Tomb & Mosque (some people say that this Jamali Kamali masjid is haunted though I have never seen or experienced anything spooky there. Still as a precaution, make sure that you return back from there before it's evening). You will also find Qutab Minar at Mehrauli. Humayun ka maqbara (Humayun's Tomb) at Nizamuddin and Lodhi Gardens at Lodhi Road (though now the Lodhi Gardens has virtually turned into a lover's pointTongue out, but it's a huge, humongous park and I am sure you will love clicking pics there. There too you will find a few crumbled structures from the Lodhi era inside the park). Some half a kilometre away from the Lodhi Gardens is the Safdarjung's Tomb which also is another often visited place. 

There is a group on Facebook by the name "Secret Delhi", 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/secretdelhi/ December is still almost a month away, so you may join this group and post your query there. I am sure you will get many more useful suggestions over there Smile  

Amit Pattnaik
Amit Pattnaik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Oh, I forgot to suggest another FB group: "Delhi By Foot".https://www.facebook.com/groups/DelhibyFoot/ 

There too you can find quite a lot of information about places to vist in Delhi. Good luck Smile 

Jose Pratheesh
Jose Pratheesh
from Ooty - Dubai
10 years ago

Hi Amit,

Thank you for your reply. It is amazing that there are so many places to visit in the few days that we have. 

I'll take a print out of your reply and try to cross off as many items as possible from your list.

Excellent links as well. Khooni Darwaza - I've heard of, but the Mosque is new to me. Very interesting indeed and I'll definitely check it out. Hoefully will capture a few photos to share with you as well.

I really appreciate the help. It takes real camradiere to help a stranger out. Thanks a ton :)

Amit Pattnaik
Amit Pattnaik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

My pleasure, Jose Smile I hope you have a good, fruitful time in those few days that you spend in Delhi.

LockSign in to reply to this thread