Blog directory Images

Prasad Np
Prasad Np
from Delhi / Gurgaon
10 years ago

Earlier I had only Indiblogger image/link on my blog, that showed my Indirank.  As I read more blogs I saw many people putting a lot of images/links to a lot of blog directories. Like

bloglog, blogtopsites, blog lovin, blog surfer etc. I have also added a few of them.

To be honest I did this without understanding the reason or implications for the same. Now the footer of my blog looks like an ad with lots of different color band aids. I need to understand are they of any use? Is there any thing negative in putting them ? Do they slow down the site? 

On the contrary I find some very good blogs without any of these links/images. So I want to understand: 

How many is too many and if one has to put say only total 5 ( Indi + 4 more) which should be those 4

thanks alot in advance.

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Prasad most of these are high PR sites which help in link building.  They pass the juice only if you have their widgets installed on your blog.  If you dont want them remove them,  there is no harm Smile

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i have couple of them...hardly get visits via them...until someone actually visits from those directories how does 'juice' pass??

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

ND they are not for visits they are for backlinks 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

backlinks visits ke liye nahi hote toh kis liye hote??Surprised

Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
10 years ago
@Nandini- DA, PA, PR, moz rank, Indi rank etc
Prasad Np
Prasad Np
from Delhi / Gurgaon
10 years ago

Thanks Nandini and Vijay. I also do not get any visitors from them. (Indi is an exception but that is from Indivine not from the pic on blog).  A lot of time I find these pics slow down page loading and hence I wanted to understand which one of them are worth keeping.  I see a few blogs with almost 20+ such directory icons on them!  I am sure most of them are not of much use. But which one needs to be purged and which needs to be saved?

Prasad Np
Prasad Np
from Delhi / Gurgaon
10 years ago

@vijay: So all these links are do follow? Is there a way to keep them on a page other than  home page? Where they will not become eyesore.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nope they are Jscripts so you need them on every pageSmile  However you can remove them if you are not concerned with backlinks or listing in blog directories

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Prasad as far as I understand these things, these blogger groups/forums/directories like IB, BA, BC, etc are helpful in increasing traffic to your blog. A number of these sites (won't name them) mandate you to share a link back to their sites. This gets them traffic from your blog, readers and visitors, and increases their pageviews. Mostly the terms and conditions of such sites enforce upon you to include the backlink to the site, otherwise they would terminate your account. If someone is believing that sharing their logos and their links on our blogs helps us in getting traffic, he/she is wrong because this is just one way traffic to that blog group/forum/directory. IB doesn't enforce you to link back to them, and hence I like IB. As for your question regarding their impact on our blog's performance, yes, they do have a marginal impact on our site's performance because at the time of loading the home page, the browser fetches the image data from their servers, hence increasing the time to load the page completly, however, most of the times these times are marginal.

LockSign in to reply to this thread