Best Hosting Services

Deepa Dutta Chaudhuri
Deepa Dutta Chaudhuri
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hello,Don't know if this question is appropriate for this forum. But asking, since I need help/advise on it.

My travel blog in wordpress has exhausted its free space limit. I had bought a domain from GoDaddy about 3-4 months back. But had put off migration until the last byte in the Wordpress profile. Well, the time has come. 

Problem is, for a simple travel blog like mine, I wanted some advise on what/which hosting services is adequate/appropriate. The multiple domains/databases etc pitches by diff providers have confused me royally. All that I need are a few smart widgets and plug-ins, same navigation/template if at all.

Can anybody guide? Gratefully,Deepa 

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Right now, as you have only one website which you have decided to migrate, the single domain option would do. And regarding databases, a single database is sufficient.

I have bought hosting from hostgator ( VPS ) and it is good enough. Haven't experienced any significant downtimes till date. If you have decided to move, then I suggest you to start with the Hatchling plan and then move to baby and business plans when required. 

---

So, you have reached the 3 GB space limit in Wordpress? In case you have decided to migrate just because of the space limit and not because you wanted a custom domain, template and plug ins, then I would suggest you to use picasa albums for uploading your pictures ( there is no limit on the number of pictures you can upload having size less than 2048 x 2048 ) and add those pictures to your blog posts. This would be much better than moving to your own hosting and the cost of hosting will increase as your blog's traffic increases ( All hosting plans say Unlimited Traffic and Bandwidth which is not true ). If you monetize your site and if it earns enough to cover the hosting charges, then it's fine. Else, you might have to pay considerable money from your pocket.

Deepa Dutta Chaudhuri
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Picasa? Wow. Why didn't I do this all this while? Yes, I need to move only due to space restrictions. Mine, being a travel blog, is very heavy on photographs. No matter how much I down-size them, they do take up space!!So can I shift all my existing pics in the blog to Picasa and give links? Gargantuan task, i know. But am willing, since i don't want to incur the hosting charges yet.Appreciate your writing to me with the details. Thanks much.Regards,

Deepa 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

So can I shift all my existing pics in the blog to Picasa and give links?

You should do it manually. Upload your pictures on Picasa and then update the picture links in your blog posts. But that would be a hectic task. So, leave the old pictures as they are and start using picasa for your new pictures. Laughing

Deepa Dutta Chaudhuri
Deepa Dutta Chaudhuri
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hi Ranjith,I agree. That would be a task otherwise. Thanks for your guide. Let me go back to my blog and see how best I can tweak the space issue.Have a good day!!Regards,Deepa 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Laughing

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Avoid hostgator shared plan. Same for GoDaddy. Check out Site5 shared which has multiple hosting location options or Vidahost, a UK based hosting company. For VPS, you can check out knownhost.

Raghavendar
Raghavendar
from Chennai
10 years ago

Try Digital Ocean. The plan starts from 5$/month with 20GB SSD, 1TB bandwidth and 512MB RAM.

Helene D'Souza
Helene D'Souza
from Goa
10 years ago

Hostgator works great and is hosted on a linux server. If there is a problem, which is rare, then just use their handy live chat. Hostgator solved all my problems. If you want a special hosting server because of big amounts of visitors then go for a specialized (way more expensive) hosting service such as wpengine (specialized for wordpress) or liquidweb.I had a space restriction problem in the past with my old host in europe. Did the flickr and picasa thing and I would suggest that you don't go that way. It's always better to host your work on your own server!

LockSign in to reply to this thread