Preventing feed aggregators from stealing your content and traffic

Bangalore
Bangalore
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Bloggers, as many of you must have realized sites such as haraam.com are happily feasting on traffic that legitimately belongs to your site. This is illegal, immoral and unethical. To prevent this, you simply need to tweak your RSS feeds. Instead of pushing the whole copy on a typical feed, you need to just give away a summary of the post. 

By doing this, sites like haraam.com can be prevented from stealing your content and visitors..

Please spread the word. 

Happy blogging,

SS

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I don't think technically its stealing. that's what aggregators do. They do put a link on the bottom of the extracted content, yeah? You can mail them to remove your site if you want to. I doubt its a problem.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

@ TS But haaram steals! Yell I sent them many mails but they never removed my blog from their database. And I feel that feed aggregators should take explicit consent from the website owner before using their feed. Undecided

And haaram doesn't extract snippets. It copies all the content it can from the rss feeds. Probably, their software is not intelligent enough to scarp complete posts if it is not in the feed. Laughing

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

In that case, send an email to the hosting company. hostingnet.com seems to be their hosting company:http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#whois|type=domain&&value=haraam.com

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yep TS is right, write a email (nicely worded) to the host and they will do the needful Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I remember you saying the same thing the previous time we had a discussion about haaram but I never did anything. Sealed Let me do something atleast now. Cool

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You are lazy bones you cry while going for haircutTongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Sealed

Bangalore
Bangalore
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I had mailed them many times and they didnt remove it. The point is

a) they never asked me before doing all this

b) Giving a link to my blog doesnt help if every bit of the post has been copiedc) It is a problem if you take into account the SEO bitd) It serves no purpose when the whole post is available on my blog why should someone else reproduce it?e) It is stealing. Just because plagarism happens automatically doesnt mean it can be pardoned 

Uma Maheswari Anandane
from Karaikal
10 years ago

How do you produce snippets with RSS feed in this case ? any help!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

@Uma

For Blogger

Settings > Other > Site Feed > Allow Blog Feed > Select either 'Until Jump Break' or 'Short'

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Thanks Ranjith! Just changed my settings!

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Laughing

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

That's weird. I just checked right now and it seems that the domain name is for sale.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

The domain was for sale few minutes ago and now, it is back! Undecided

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I was mistaken! It is http://www.haaram.com and not haraam.com Foot in mouth

Bushra M
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

There's one more site which steals! Shesaidbeauty.com! Once when I tried searching for my posts on Google I didn't get my blog but suprisingly all the content was available on She said beauty! No link no nothing! Just my name(actually only username)....and the worst thing is, I think as soon as you publish a post the whole content is uploaded on this site and even if you edit your post there are no changes made! I could see all my contest posts on that site and the thing which erked me most was that Google showed that site to readers before my own blogUndecided I want to remove my name from that site now! But dunno how to do that....

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

The maximum we can do is file a copyright claim with Google. Undecided

Bushra M
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I want to delete my profile from Shesaid beauty but they are not responding! What do I do? Today a brand contacted me to remove the liunks from the post I had written for them as they think it appear spammy to Google and guess which link they gave me? *curses* They gave me shesaidbeauty's link(the post which appears in thier feed) instead of my opriginal blog posts! I swear I am so angry now! Thieves!

Then I googled how to delete my profile from Shesaid beauty and I found their TnC page! Every word was like a blow! Check thier stupid conditions HERE

The thing which surprised me the most was-

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

sorry about the unlimited typosEmbarassed

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Checked it outSurprised They are pakka chors! some action needs to be taken! Plz help me in reeporting this to Google...

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Haraam.com is out for sale now ? 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

The domain is http://haaram.com/ and not haraam.com Tongue out

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

who would buy it :P

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Someone will buy it. Sealed the way someone bough blogjunta Tongue out

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

blogjunta is sold out :O

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

The domain is http://haaram.com/ and not haraam.com

ranjith...2 different websites same name???

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Now I'm confused :|

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Both are different names haaram and haraam Tongue out

What is the meaning of haaram / haraam? Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Ranjith Haraam means evil or taboo in urdu Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Surprised

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Tongue outTongue out

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Oops I got confused by the first post

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Does putting your blog as a 'nofollow' blog would help?

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

How do I know if aggregators are stealing my content or not?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Copy the first 4-5 lines of any of your latest blog post ( atleast one wekk old ) and search for it In Google. If some other site is copying your content, then you may find it in the search results.

I checked 2-3 posts of yours. It looks like you are still safe from haraam Laughing

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

... But this http://confused132.rssing.com/chan-22207774/all_p4.html site is copying your content Frown

They claim that they  provide rss snapshots... But they have an option to remove your site, unlike haraam. See http://www.rssing.com/ - Stop RSS snapshots 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Have you guys tried sending a mail to their hosting company? The website is hoted with edhosting according to whois details:

http://www.edthosting.com/home/default.aspx

LockSign in to reply to this thread