Labels for Posts and Pages for Labels

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Whats the best way to label your posts.... 

and how do i have independant pages for each label...

pls pls help. 

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

How to label is a very profound topic, Heena and there can be mutliple views on this. 

The creating independent pages part if easy - In blogger you have something called static pages. Don't know what they have in Wordpress.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

how do i have independant pages for each label

There are two methods:

Method 1 : Using links to 'label archive' pages as links in the menu.

a. First, get the page link for the label by clicking the label link at the end of the post. The links will be of the form : http://xyz.blogspot.in/search/label/LabelName

Add that link to the navigation menu: Pages > New Page > Web Address

Enter the Label Name, URL and Click Save.

Repeat the above two steps for each label.

( For an ex : See Pankti's blog. ) 

Method 2 : By creating a static page ( Pages  > New Page > Blank Page ) for each label and listing the URL's manually in that page. ( For ex : see TF's blog )

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Thank you guys.... 

my labels are at the moment all over the place... each post seems to have multiple lables appearing in almost all the pages if i can say so...

is it best to use one or two lables per post? or does the more the merrier concept work better?  

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I prefer limited labels to be able to properly navigate to different kind of posts.

Don't know whether labels have any use for search engines. If that is the case, strategy can be different.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

appearing in almost all the pages

Then, you  are writing  on a very narrow topic ( and so, you don't need labels Wink ) or you don't organise your posts properly. ( and so, you should learn how to do it Wink )

Labelling your posts and showing the links to the label pages are two different things. Using too many labels is not a big problem but using a particular label on all posts or using every label on atmost one most - both are bad. 

You label your posts so that readers who are interested in similar articles can read them by clicking the label links at the bottom. Whereas, on the menu, you should show only a few important labels which have a good number of posts.

Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I re-labeled all my articles with just one label per article to sort them categorically. So I have some 7 labels in total like Travel, Personal, Photography, Movies, Reviews, Technology and so on. this helps me in keeping all the travel related articles in one label and similarly other genres too. I don't know if you have any category or several niches in mind, but you can do this to sort your posts! :) Smile

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Heena rather adding label pages I did suggest you to add menu categories on your blog.  That will make organisation possible.  As for Labesl keep 2 to 3 labels standard for each post and you and as many as you wish (I think 100 is the limit on blogger) 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I think 100 is the limit on blogger

You're wrong Cool

Number of Labels: Up to 2000 unique labels per blog and 20 per post.

https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/42348?hl=en Laughing

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

its I think 200 character per post on blogger... for labels. VP, pls do outline how ro create menu categories... sorry am a bit of a duh here....  

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Heena send you template to Ranjith he will do the needful Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I think I should start charging for my help. CoolTongue out

@ Henna

1. Decide the categories and subcategories you want to add in your menu.

Ex : 

> Blogging
  >  Templates
  >  Design
  >  SEO
> Literary
  >  Poems
  >  Stories
> Receipes
  > Veg
  > Non veg

2. Get the links for the different labels you want to add in your menu.

3. Create a menu using this tool - http://cssmenumaker.com/

4. Go to Pages > Show Pages As > None to remove the existing menu.

5. Add the code from 3 as a HTML gadget on the top.

Laughing

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

200 character? 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

For Ranjith is Jolly Good Fellow Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

LaughingTongue out.

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

heee... 200 characters limit for labels.... 

thanks ranjith... sounds good... cash or GV's? 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Chocolates for Ranjith Cool Heena Ranjith is a baccha and baccho ke haatho me cash nahi deteUndecided

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

100 dairy milk silk chocolates Money mouth

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

hehehehhheheh... 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago
:p
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

BTW Ranjith the link is very good Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago
Thanks vijay. :) Pankti s also using it for her new blog :d
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yep saw that yesterday 

Bhavya Kaushik
Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

What is better from a reader's perspective; distinguishing your posts in the form of tags or creating different pages for every type?

:|

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I don't read blogs. So, I don't know the answer. Money mouth

There is nothing wrong in creating pages. New readers of your blog may find it useful. Laughing

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

But I create multiple tags for one post Innocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

No problem. Those posts with multiple tags will appear on more than one page. Cool

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

yes Tongue out

yaye \ :D /

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

BTW, there's a problem with the CSS based menus. You need to link up with the .css (extension for CSS files, that's short for Cascading Style Sheet). Linking up to a separate .css file needs you to upload/host that on a server. An alternative to this is using inline css (wherein you include the entire code of the css file in your html file itself). But, this is not accepted mostly, and most people suggest avoiding this. A second alternative is using the css file hosted on the parent website's servers. But, this is possible only when it is showing that menu working live, maybe, as a demo.

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Sorry, I missed one more thing, there are sometimes a number of image files too that need to be hosted on the server for the menu to work/show properly. Though, these image files can easily be hosted on our own profiles/image sharing sites.

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

getting as confusing as ever..... 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

CK confused others as usual Money mouth

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Don't know what confusion I created.Undecided I just said that most of the times the CSS based menus have a .css (style sheet file that tells the browser the way styiling has to be done on the page), and a few images too, (at times though not compulsory for all menus), which need to be hosted on a separate web server, to be easily accessible. Though we can store images on our google profiles, .css files can't be hosted over there.

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Tried it...and went all haywire...

may need to get professional help on this one... or maybe need to redo the labels / tags first.

LockSign in to reply to this thread