Women touching the feet of in-laws every morning...

Jyoti Kapoor
Jyoti Kapoor
from Wettingen
9 years ago

Women touching the feet of in-laws every morning... why should we do that? Should we continue..

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

If one doesn't want to do, don't do!!!

Jyoti Kapoor
Jyoti Kapoor
from Wettingen
9 years ago

Hey Sorcerer, you are not a woman right? Tongue out

Its not that easy, I am looking for some serious answers. Some women don't want to do this but its taken as their audacity and then they are marked as manner less or those who don't respect culture or elders for that matter. Bolo zara!

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Fun Fact: Men touch feet, too. Infact I've seen men touching parents/elders/politicians feet. I think I've seen some ad about a guy getting a back pain unable to touch his in-laws/elder feet- and that moov aunty ad as well- I am pretty sure the bending-to-touch-feet isn't a gender thing. I am not sure what made you make that 'you are not a woman, right?' comment, but unless women are required to strap in a 150 lbs weight while touching elder's feet I don't see how the point I've said may not apply to women. But if you want a solution that applies to a particular gender- that's unfortunate. I was under the impression we were talking about 'generalisation of those who don't touch feet."What I am saying is: Its an opinion.

Either one saves themselves the hassle with their in-laws by touching the feet and call it a day- or don't touch the feet and deal with the situation accordingly- or use charm. You have a choice. There are those who do all that, but don't respect elders/culture once they turn around. Humans will always judge based on what they look, and not the way one interacts unless someone points it out for them. But in my opinion, if one's in-laws calls one as 'manner-less' or 'disrespectful person' just because one does not touch their feet, then they don't have experience in interacting with many types of people in their lifetime. Some people do namaste, pranam, hari om, etc. as well. Some people touch feet only for certain occasion or doing something very important, and they feel they need the required blessings.

Jyoti Kapoor
Jyoti Kapoor
from Wettingen
9 years ago

Sorry for my late reply, I am a new blogger, I messed up my blog by installing multitude of plugins and was cleaningup .. your answer is very good and apt as well, thank you. I respect your opinion.

I was hoping to get more comments, someone might have another view point, like why bending to touch feet makes the elders feel much respected while we are showing respect in many other ways too. You are indeed right in saying that men do touch feet too (of politicians ...err ..that topic i would skip, intentionally) but there have to be people who think this is not required, or if this is a way to show respect then both the parties should do this.etc. etc.

Talking about  touching the feet of in-laws, In India men do not have to live with in-laws so they don't have to touch everyday. Not 100 out of 100 families enjoy here-are-my-feet-so-touch-them-and-make-me-happy thing but many many do. Belonging to a punjabi family, I see most of women in my family do this on my husband's side (pssst the sons are not touching everyday, you are right they are touching occasionally, but we must, everyday). I was wondering when should this have started, who made this arrangement that daugter-in-laws should touch feet every morning, more so I was wondering how many people would be 'for' it and how many 'against'.

To personalize it, I touch their feet and get this out of my way. Everyday. I am charming as hell ;) so I can amuse them around other things and skip it .. and god knows sometimes I do..but to make it obvious that I don't want to do this will call for some sour notes, and I count 'peace at home' as the most precious thing and can go to strange levels to maintain its sanctity. Discussion around this at home would be simply stupid. Let me confirm I don't do it with any zeal, I just do it for the reasons mentioned earlier...and to tell you the truth ashirwad bhi roz nahi milta yaar... somtimes they just mumble something .. sometimes don't say anything. So here I am just wanted to know what are other people feeling about this..

Is there anyone who thinks this is just a way of in-laws to make their new DIL feel that she is under leveled... or reminding her that she's come here to serve and so ...just looking for various view points that's all..

Jyoti Kapoor
Jyoti Kapoor
from Wettingen
9 years ago

Hello people someone has to reply to this IBs, where are my Indibloggers each with their own opinion!

LockSign in to reply to this thread