Help needed to fix my Alexa rank

Charan A.C
Charan A.C
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Hello all,

Before couple of months my android blog's alexa rank was around 3 lakh and 37K in India. Then slowly it started droping and today it has reached 7Lakh and I don't even have rank in India. I don't see any change in taffic, infact it has increased. I remember changing my template and robots.txt recently. Now I am not sure if that has affected my rank or some other factor which is causing this problem. Can anyone please tell me what could have caused this?

Note: I know alexa rank is not that accurate and we shouldn't be worrying much about it. I have read such things in many other websites. So please don't post anything on those lines.

Thanks and appreciate your time.

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Hello Charan,

As you already know, Alexa is not that accurate, infact, any ranking system can't ever be. Though you're seeing your blog's alexa rankings in your own perspective, i.e. comparing your blog's current performance with the past performance. However, Alexa doesn't work that way. What alexa shows is a number based on your blog's/site's current performance compared with the past performance, as well as the performance of the other sites in relation to yours and hence you can see conflicting/"misleading" results a number of times.

The answer to your question is already there on Alexa's Support Page. I'm quoting the content of that page, here.

How can my rank get worse when my site traffic is getting better?

The short answer is that any ranking system ranks you relative to others. The Alexa Traffic Rank ranks your site relative to all other sites in the world.

A good analogy is running a race. Let’s say that yesterday you finished the race in 3rd place. If you race again today and have a faster time, you could still finish in 4th place if 3 other people run faster than you. Even though you ran a faster race, your ‘ranking’ got worse because other people ran even faster.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Apart from that, this is how they rank our websites/blogs:

How are Alexa’s traffic rankings determined?

Alexa’s traffic estimates and ranks are based on our panel of toolbar users which is a sample of all internet users.

Alexa’s Traffic Ranks are based on the traffic data provided by users in Alexa’s global toolbar panel over a rolling 3 month period. Traffic Ranks are updated daily. A site’s ranking is based on a combined measure of Unique Visitors and Pageviews. Unique Visitors are determined by the number of unique Alexa users who visit a site on a given day. Pageviews are the total number of Alexa user URL requests for a site. However, multiple requests for the same URL on the same day by the same user are counted as a single Pageview. The site with the highest combination of unique visitors and pageviews is ranked #1. Additionally, we employ data normalization to correct for biases that may occur in our data.

If your site’s metrics are Certified you can display Global and Country ranks for your site based on Certified Site Metrics, instead of metrics from our toolbar panel.

Alexa’s Traffic Ranks are for top level domains only (e.g., domain.com). We do not provide separate rankings for subpages within a domain (e.g., http://www.domain.com/subpage.html ) or subdomains (e.g., subdomain.domain.com) unless we are able to automatically identify them as personal home pages or blogs, like those hosted on sites like Blogger (blogspot.com). If a site is identified as a personal home page or blog, it will have its own Traffic Rank, separate from its host domain.

For more information about Alexa’s traffic rankings, you can visit:

http://www.alexa.com/about

There are limits to statistics based on the data available. Sites with relatively low measured traffic will not be accurately ranked by Alexa. We do not receive enough data from our sources to make rankings beyond 100,000 statistically meaningful. (However, on the flip side of that, the closer a site gets to #1, the more reliable its rank.) This means that, for example, the difference in traffic between a site ranked 1,000,000 and a site ranked 2,000,000 has low statistical significance. Sites ranked 100,000+ may be subject to large ranking swings due to the scarcity of data for those sites. It is not unusual for such sites to decline to “No data” Traffic Ranks, or to improve suddenly.

Additionally, we discuss the Long Tail phenomenon and how it relates to sites ranked more than 100,000 on the Alexa FAQ at:

What’s Going On With My Alexa Rank?

Source: https://alexa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200449744-How-are-Alexa-s-traffic-rankings-determined-

Charan A.C
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Thanks buddy :)

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Hi Charan dont worry about Alexa and you can do nothing about it dropping Cool I came down from 80k to something I never watch now Tongue out

Charan A.C
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Tongue out hahahaha.... But the problem is with adverstisers, they usually tend to check alexa rank Frown

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Only media.net and madads check Alexa, adsense and other dont.  Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

How do you know Vijay? Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Madads and media net contacted me Ranjith Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Surprised

What is the min alexa required?

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

below 800000 for madads and below 500000 for Media.net ads

Sasidhar Kareti
Sasidhar Kareti
from Kavali
9 years ago

I faced the same problem. But my site wa sperforming much better than ever! Alexa totally sucks

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Sasidhar as I also said Alexa sucks stopped keeping a watch on it Yell

Sasidhar Kareti
from Kavali
9 years ago

Forget alexa and care for Google rank, Moz Rank, DA and PA

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Google rank on priority 

Anant Aggarwal
from Faridabad
9 years ago
Sasidhar, what's DA and PA?
Mansoor
Mansoor
from Pune
9 years ago

First of all Alexa is not accurate to check traffic. It does shows data of average 3 months. So if you think you are really getting traffic. Check whether its real or fake traffic. If it is real traffic then wait alexa will show changes.

I have a very poor Alexa rank.. Tried few things, one thing which every one says to work upon is Back Linking, but I dont see any legal way of doing it, apart from waiting and working harder on content in expectation of natural back links..

LockSign in to reply to this thread