How do bloggers deal when someone steals a picture?

Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

Hey!

(This is the first time I am posting something on a forum, so please feel free to advise if this is not the right place and I will remove it)

I came across an article in an "esteemed" newspaper, The Asian Age, which used a personal picture of my husband and me in a very degrading article. The picture had been put up on my personal blog. And also mine, and the wedding photographer's, facebook page. This picture was one of our favorite shots from our post wedding shoot and the said article was titled "Live-ins lead to rape?" Neither me, nor my husband, or the wedding photographer gave any consent to publish this picture. I wrote an email to the newspaper, as well as facebook message and tweets, but they have been completely ignored. As you can guess, this is taking stealing pictures to a new height and very disturbing for us. Specially, as I've had readers and family comment on the disgraceful fact. In fact, that is how we got to know of the misuse of the picture. Any suggestions on how we can handle it?

Thanks a tonne for reading this,

Pallavi

P.S.: I cannot personally register a FIR right now as we're in US and will only be back after a month

P.P.S.: Asian Age had earlier published another of our pictures sourcing it from our photographer and we had consented for the same.

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: topic was unclear
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

Any help guys? Pretty please CryFrown

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Would it be possible for you to give a power of attorney to a trusted lawyer in India to file a case? I am assuming you must have consulted a lawyer that you know of in India. Assuming its an online content, quickly take the screenshot of the entire page.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Also:

P.P.S.: Asian Age had earlier published another of our pictures sourcing it from our photographer and we had consented for the same.

Written or via email? Do you still have it with you? Can you copy-paste the consent letter and reply for it over here?Also see if its printed on the newspaper as well. If it is, keep the newspaper of that date with you, preferably 2-3 copies of it just to be sure.

Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

Thank you The Sorcerer. We did get in touch with a lawyer today and post his call to the newspaper, they requested us to brief them about the incident with a picture of the paper. It was a hard copy of newspaper as well as online version in which it appeared. We have taken and saved copies of both. As for consent for previous picture I just had a messenger chat with the photographer and gave my consent there. No formal contract or anything for that. Thank you for the help again. I do hope it gets sorted out. I had dealt with other blogs stealing pictures but a newspaper misusing it is a first. 

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Following this topic....

knitha.urs
knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Pallavi looks lke magazine has taken out the picture and I also saw your comment there....let me know if I am wrong and still its your pic...I shall also add my 2 cents.May be leave the  link here and ask other bloggers also to comment on it..That may show the paper that not to mess with a blogger...

Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

Here's an update guys: Post the lawyer's call, the reporter who wrote the article called our photographer and asked for a way to contact us. He gave my email id and now I am waiting for them to get in touch. Thankfully, our photographer is reputed and professional and on our side. If this isn't sorted by next week end we'll be forced to take legal action. Desire v/s Destiny: So, previously, consent was for one particular picture for one particular article. And yes, the photographer was very precise about which article he's okay with getting picture printed in. Honestly, we'd have been happy with an unconditional apology but by not ignoring us the paper has provoked sterner actions.Knitha: Yup, my husband has commented on it. Here is the link to the said article: http://www.asianage.com/relationships/failed-live-ins-lead-rape-593. Thank you for the help and support. I do hope next time no one would misuse personal pictures. P.S. A million thanks to all of you guys again. Your help really means a lot.   

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

My Point is do you have it on paper or even on email that for what the consent was given and for what not

Do you have an evidence ?

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Forgive and Forget..

I have seen in many debates women telling me this when I talk about crimes committed by women in relationships and demand their punishment. Let me see if you can practice the same in reality.

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Partha,I think you have mistaken this thread to one of those men Vs Women thread.This thread is all about a happily married couple i.e Husband and wife having a some sort of problem with news paper. both HUSBAND and WIFE asking for blogger's assistance to deal with the issue.

I have seen in many debates women telling me this when I talk about crimes committed by women in relationships and demand their punishment. Let me see if you can practice the same in reality.

This has no scope on this thread....Laughing

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

this is among those super LOL moments [clap clappp]

Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

Desire v/s Destiny: We do have electronic record of what was agreed upon.Partha: ummm, I don't know how this is relevant.

Knitha! Thank you for explaining here :) The latest is, we have been contacted by the newspaper and they are willing to publish an apology, not for using the picture, but for not printing a disclaimer with it. Not sure I am entirely happy with it. Tomorrow, if I decide to publish a picture of me holidaying on a beach or clubbing (not that I plan to as of now) I would be scared that  it might end up in a newspaper with a super negative article! What spurious people do is bad enough, but now do we have to have our guards up against newspapers too?And guys, what do you suggest? Is an apology enough or should we push for harsher punishment? Honestly, I'd be really upset if they publish a line of apology snuck back in page 6 somewhere that has to be located with a magnifying glass. 

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Do they have an FB page.Screw them there and post the link here , we will surely ask for their answers..

They are surely playing with you basically because they know you wont have enough evidence to prove that you are @entirely@ right.

So just take care  !

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I agree 1 line apology in some corner of the page wouldnt make anyone happy.Pallavi,If you expect harsher punishment-next step is dragging them to the court.But Indian courts are quite frutrating,If you can hold yourself strong and If you are sure,Yo will not loose intresest in middle,go ahead.If not,follow DvD suggetion,Make their life hell in social media.....Smile

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

I did that to one of the leading bank and made the appologize on twitter for the harrassment I faced.

Social Media rocks.just keep the facts ready when asked to prove .

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

More to it,make the evidence public saying you only allowed the things mentioned in the evidence

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
9 years ago

If its related to a pic in a blog post then I don't mind as I embossed all of them, so even if they try to use it then they would be sending more traffic to my blog.If its regarding a personal pic being used by them so ask them in written proofs via email that if media is allowed to use pictures like that?? As you said they are ready to publish an apology for not printing a disclaimer with it that means as per them they are allowed to use any image like that.And they have removed the article now but you should take this seriously as they did it with you, they might have done or would do in future with others. Everyone does not get aware of the articles and even if they do, they don't know or want to fight the way you did. Also make an remarkable comment for them here ---- https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/asianage.comI already did so that the users of this popular add-on can get to know about their ethics

LockSign in to reply to this thread