What do you charge for a sponsored review?

Khushboo Motihar
Khushboo Motihar
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I was approached by a company to do a sponsored review and they asked me to send in a quote. I asked for Rs. 2000 for a 500 word post, thinking that they will probably bring it down to1500. However, they agreed to it immediately. Now, that got me thinking. Should I’ve had asked for more? Or am I being too greedy? How much do you charge for a sponsored post? Please do let me know. Thanks for your help ☺

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Ascending
Ekta Khetan
Ekta Khetan
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I know bloggers who review things without using and say big big good things about those products just to have-

1. multiplicity of posts
  2. Covering different  brands
  3. Being in good books of PRs
  4. God Knows!

The review need not be 100% negative unless the experience had been such. It should rather be more enriched, should explore and highlight different things about the brand/ product/ solution it aims to give ...should cover adequate pictures and relevant information. Good research also helps. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

With bloggers taking money for reviews, something that supposed to be neutral and honest so that buyers will know if something is worth it or not- who needs payola journos. 

Not a good habit to develop. Imagine if you read a review (or reviews) from people who are paid, and it turns out to be a sour experience, how would you feel? No offense, but anyone who takes money for review shouldn't review anything at all. Brown paper bag promoted a scammer who took pc gaming tournament giveaways for himself and most likely sold it off rather than giving it to the winners- unknown even to the brands.  Understand that reviewers earn from ads, and ads come when there's traffic- new and returning readers. Don't expect to grow returning readerbase unless you have your facts right. Taking money for reviews directly indicates that the review will be biased and anything factually bad will be omitted. You take money, and you're obligated to write positive reviews automatically. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

why do u think their reviews will be biased....for example if someone uses a skin product they are reviewing and their skin burns...will they write positive review just cos they are paid?

Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
9 years ago

This is not a completely valid concern. Actors get paid to advertise products on TV or in advertisements. You (as a viewer or reader) have the choice to buy or not buy the product. If you buy the product then it probably is based not solely on the actor or commercial but upon the information in the commercial. Or, the commercial may provide additional information that you needed to come to your conclusion.

Yes, a paid review probably would be (and should be) positive, to attract future sponsors but it should also be objective and verifiable to attract more readers. This is a win-win-win situation (for the blogger, sponsor and readers/purchasers), and I do not think that it is impossible to achieve this.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

a paid review probably would be (and should be) positive,

if blogger has bad experience with the product..it neednt be positive

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
9 years ago

I am glad that this thread is not locked because I have a follow-up question: how can I get a sponsor?

I frequently promote my posts here at Indiblogger (although, I assume, not many potential sponsors look through the posts) as well as Expat-Blog.com, and especially at Google+ (and sometimes at my wife's small FB page). Moreover, I have written 2-3 posts stating that I am open to writing a favourable post about a product or service. Lastly, I have a "Reviews" label/category so anything that I write would fit nicely into the theme of my blog.

I have been blogging for over 3 years and have over 350 posts, so I do not think that my blog is insignificant. Why aren't sponsors rushing to see me?

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

IndiOne Innocent

Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
9 years ago

?????????

That does not address my concern. Although my ranking is close to qualifying for membership in IndiOne, it is not close enough. Moreover, even if I do qualify for membership then do I automatically get sponsors? There are IndiBloggers who are not part of IndiOne who have been sponsored. There are bloggers in India who are not part of IndiBlogger who have sponsors. There are bloggers outside of India who have been sponsored.

How can I be like them? How can I get sponsors?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Moreover, even if I do qualify for membership then do I automatically get sponsors? 

Sponsors approach IB with offers. You will be able to access these offers from your Indi1 dashboard and apply for them. If sponsors select you, you have to complete the assignment and you get paid (varies between 2k-15k) .

How can I be like them? How can I get sponsors?

As far as I know, bloggers take the initiative to contact potential sponsors rather than sponsors looking out for bloggers...

There are some sites like sponsoredreviews.com where you can go through offers and apply for them.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

@Micky..

There are two ways I know..

1. Make sure you influence right people.. Here volume wont matter, but make sure you write something, which is really good and make sure it reaches those influential people..
  2. Just forget everything and develop content which out performs any of your competitor.. Make sure you do it in consistence basis so that influx of users are always in increase.. Advertisers will automatically come..

I am sure you are aware that you wont be the only one in your subject looking for advertisement and sponsorship, so what is different between you are others ?? Unless you create that difference, there is no advertiser would approach you.. Even if you approach, they would surely either look for profitability else personal connection Tongue out

I have been blogging for over 3 years and have over 350 posts, so I do not think that my blog is insignificant. Why aren't sponsors rushing to see me?

As I said,

1. Make sure you have personal contact with the influential people, who can make decision or influence the decision.
  2. Make sure more and more visitors !! Out performing all your competitions !!

I have been blogging and present blog is approaching 6 year mark.. I have relied on general platforms, like Google / Yahoo and Bing for advertisement !!

Till date, never did any..

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Yo Hunky good to see you after a long time Smile

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Innocent

Khushboo Motihar
Khushboo Motihar
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Thanks Anant and Knitha. Will check the thread. IP can lock this thread now as my doubt is cleared. :)

knitha.urs
knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=19202 refer this page Khushboo...You will get an Idea

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

OOps I didnt read Anant's reply properly....He already mentioned it

Anant Aggarwal
from Faridabad
9 years ago

Does not matter Knitha. In any case, your comment will prove more fruitful since you hyperlinked the address while I left it to her to copy-paste the address.

LockSign in to reply to this thread