A travel blog needs tech-related help.

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Three things:

1. I have recently bought the domain my blog had, and since then the feedjit traffic feed has disappeared. It only shows Feedjit Traffic Feed written in text, which is hyperlinked to its site and it takes me to their home page.
  2. Does the page you choose to display (current post or a static page) have any impact on statistic. Or posts per page has any impact on the same? 
  3. Need suggestions regarding themes (preferable free) for my blog. I need a text-centric theme which doesn't kill images. 
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Blogger or wordpress ?

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Wordpress.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Since you have moved from .com to wp .org cms you will have install the plugin again from feedjit page and your point no.2 is related to that.

For themes you can get free as well as paid from a lot of sources just check free wp themes in google

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Vijay.

I am still at .com, just bought the domain name. I don't think I can buy plugin etc. 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Plugins are free Divya.  You brought the domain from WP itself ?

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Plugins are free for self-hosted thing or maybe .org.For .com, some widgets are free. I just paid to make http://aborrowedbackpack.wordpress.com  read like  http://aborrowedbackpack.com

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Hi Desire v/s Destiny,

thanks! I did, but it did not help one bit.

Divya

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Do one thing , check the javascript again.Or else remove the feedjit and see if other widgets are working.

Also first start with free templates from wordpress/blogger then just start seeing what is missing

when you can list down 5 things that the free templates dont provide from wordpress/blogger then only go for free templates.

because once you install these templates you have to keep modifying it.Because they become outdated and often(once a quarter) needs to be debugged.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

DvD, there's a saying, you must be aware of - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I don't agree with the notion that you are supposed to change the template or modify it regularly or it becomes outdated. A template is a template, afterall. If you need features (New features), you can always make changes, but this DOESN'T mean that you HAVE to change it regularly to keep up to date. Yes, we all like keeping up with the new features and trends, but, still, it's a personal choice, nothing out of necessity.

Here I'm able to see some confusion over Domain names and plugins.

Plugins are free for self-hosted thing or maybe .org.For .com, some widgets are free. I just paid to make http://aborrowedbackpack.wordpress.com  read like  http://aborrowedbackpack.com

Divya, as far as I've seen WP, most of the plugins are free, including the source codes. Ofcourse there are a number of premium plugins, the developers of which, think they need to charge for a license, other than that, most of the WP's plugins are free. And, I don't think whether you're on a wordpress.com hosted blog or a self hosted wp blog makes any difference on the implementation of plugins, whatever is free is free (maybe, some of them might have chosen specific criteria, like for akismet-the spam blocking plugin, it's free for personal use, but once you start earning from your blog (i.e. commercial activity), you're supposed to purchase a license to use it, and what's the problem with such an implementation?)

You're getting confused with the domain name purchase and plugins. Domain name purchase is a totally different thing. When we move from a subdomain, i.e. from abcdef.wordpress.com or abcdef.blogspot.com to abcdef.com, we are purchasing a domain name space (abcdef.com is a domain name, also known as TLD -Top Level Domain) Since you're customizing from a subdomain Wordpress or blogger provided you to run your blog from, you're supposed to pay for it. Plugins, on the other hand are totally different. Plugins are nothing but small pieces of code that you install to enhance your blog/website's functionality. Purchase of a domain name/hosting space is an annual affair, as you're supposed to pay a recurring annual cost, every year, while, most plugins, I suppose, have a lifetime cost, where you pay for a premium plugin only once and you can use it till whatever time you want (maybe, only to be restricted by number/website/blog where you're using it).

In your case, I think, you may like to uninstall and install the feedjit plugin for WP (if you have already not done so).. You can check out your WP dashboard, uninstall the plugin, and then reinstall it again to check if it resolves the issue.

Regarding your second query, I don't think there is an impact on statistics, except that each post is treated as a page by our analytics software, and the post you put up on your home page will receive the highest number of pageviews, because it's loading everytime someone visits to your blog directly, using your domain name, or some backlink to your domain, not an article.

I'm using Pinboard, you may like to check it out.

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Na , I am more concerened about the bugs , Example : I used the facebook themed template for my website last year , When google and Facebook made security changes , few features like who is online stopped working.

So with free tenplates thats alway sthe case.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Regarding your second query, I don't think there is an impact on statistics, except that each post is treated as a page by our analytics software, and the post you put up on your home page will receive the highest number of pageviews, because it's loading everytime someone visits to your blog directly, using your domain name, or some backlink to your domain, not an article.

The home page URL receives the highest hits and not the post Innocent

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

ok, that needs a correction. What I meant was in comparision to other posts.

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Thank you CyberKid and D&D,

Cyberkid, I do understand the difference between plugins and buying a domain name. What is taking me by surprise is, why is everyone talking about plugins when wordpress.com has no option for plugins (free or paid, whatsoever.). It only has option for Widgets. The one with the plugins is Wordpress.org, where you self-host your blog. 

I am attaching a pic for your clarification.

Ok. looks like I can't attach any pic :/

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

you can actually attach a picture like this  

BLAH

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

where did the picture go Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Can I reincarnate to correct my mistakes?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

You may Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

I tried but failed

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

No problem. forgiven Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

trying trying untill I suckceed 

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

How to attach pic please? 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Upload the picture to Picasa / Dropbox / Google Drive and paste it here. 

Divya Rai
Divya Rai
from NEW DELHI
9 years ago

Thank you Ranjith :DCyberKid and D&D, see , there is no option for plugins.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Yes, wp.com sites don't allow plugins. Probably CK thought that yours is a wp.org site. 

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Widgets is the key to suckcess 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Dvd you don't use any widgets on your blog Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

I do use widgets on my blog  !

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

They are gadgets ( Blogger blog, right? Tongue out )

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Which Blog did you refer 

I have blogs outside IB too.

And I mostly talk about them :P :P :P 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Sealed

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon