HTTPS will be a factor in Google search ranking! Are you planning the switch to

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

As you may know, Google has recently announced that sites with encrypted traffic (i.e. HTTPS) will have advantage over the rest of websites. This change will be applied gradually and Google will be giving somne guidelines to make the switch easier for the site owners, Apparently, this is a move to encourage webmasters to opt for HTTPS as standard.

Source: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal_6.html

My question is, are you already using HTTPS with your blog? Or do you plan to buy a SSL certificate soon? If yes, from where do you plan to buy one?

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending

I too read this..

I was too thinking about the same but the problem is the cost involved in the same..

1. Dedicated IP Address is required.. Monthly fee here Frown
  2. Most of the time dedicated IP is coming with VPS :((..
  3. SSL Ceritificate purchase and rent :(..

Cost is something I wont be able to afford.. Infact I am having hard time only afford my present hosting, let alone increase the budget..

So it is a bad news for me !!

Only hope is that, google said it would offer marginal benefit..

Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

Yes cost is indeed a factor. I was checking with MaxCDN (I use them) and they charge like 34 Euro a month for a basic SSL. I saw that GoDaddy offers a cheaper SSL cerificate for like $250 per year or so but its 128 bit encryption instead of the Google suggested 2048 bit encryption.

I don't know if one needs a dedicated IP for SSL. I'll have to check. Perhaps my current hosting gives me a dedicated IP.

P.S. I see that your blog is in a unique niche, specially for Indian audience as not many people in India do small bike repair stuff on their own and prefer to go to mechanics. I would suggest to promote the blog through social media. You can also see if there is any possiblity for you to use affiliate marketing.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion..

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I don't think that will have so much of an impact. I mean, what I have read about is that Google will give preference and thus increase the search rankings of results having a secure protocol associated with it. This won't entirely mean that Google will filter out all the non HTTPS results, so, I believe we don't need to worry about this a lot, as atleast I am not the one appearing on the first page of google's results pages. So, it won't really matter if I am shifted a few ranks below in the current rankings to make way for HTTPS results.

But surely, I am not the one planning to spend 5K+ every year, to get a top place in google search results, especially when I have no plans to monetize my site/blog.

Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

I did not say that non-HTTPS traffic will be eliminated Tongue out

Being on the top of Google search matters a lot to for a tech blog. And if an SSL certificate keeps Google uncle happy, I would be willing to invest in it :)

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Neither did i say that you said or suggested so.Innocent

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

but I want to get top place.. at-least under my subject.. Innocent

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I don't think that Google will implement it totally very soon....One of my friends said that this may not apply for blogs, but apply only for E-commerce sites......If this is applied then it will hurt many...Many students try to take up blogging as a hobby thinking that they will earn money out of it...If Google strictly implements that only blogs with https will rank higher then new bloggers won't be able to get success as everyone can't invest in start...So wait and watch....

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Does google care about students and their earning ?? I wonder... Innocent

Google cares about their income and perhaps cleaning up the web as content stealing may now be controlled this way i guess..

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Hunky I know that they won't think of anyone..I just expect them to not make blogging a hobby only for rich people......as buying https while starting blogging may be difficult for any newbie...Lets hope for the best...

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

as buying https while starting blogging may be difficult for any newbie...

I dont know if I am considered a newbie or not.. But I have been blogging since a really long time and with my present 5 year old blog, I can't even think of affording HTTPS :((

By the way, Google changed the world with their free offerings, so why dont they start offering free SSL Tongue out

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Don't worry Hunky we all bloggers will write blog posts so that Google doesn't implement it or makes https as cheap as $1..

Did a lot of readind and found few things..

• Number one, Google wants SHA2 algorithm..
  • Google wants to phase out SHA1 sooner than its original deadline of 2017
  • Problem is Android browsers are having problem with SHA2

SSL it self will increase the load in the server.. So not just SSL and Dedicated IP is costly, but you have to consider resources to run SSL !!!

Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

I'll wait for my hosting service, Synthesis from Copyblogger, to comeup with some nice offering. Till then, it's not hurting me.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

even with SSL it seems this IB forum got hacked.. cant delay much Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

They use X.509 certificates and hence asymmetric cryptography to authenticate the counterparty with whom they are communicating, and to exchange a symmetric key. This session key is then used to encrypt data flowing between the parties. This allows for data/message confidentiality, and message authentication codes for message integrity and as a by-product, message authentication

It doesn't guard against XSS attacks. Tongue out

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

And that is not going to provide you security against script injections.Tongue out so, even if you get some 2048bit SSL certificate, you can't be sure of such injections resulting into hacking.:))

Something worth considering... If Google, Facebook, Apple and Sony can't secure themselves from the prying eyes of HUGE teams of Chinese and Russian hackers (I'm sorry to generalize that!Undecided), then, what are we?

SSL is only spending money, nothing to gain from it.. I wonder why Google wants webmaster to adopt the SSL :-/

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

SSL improves security Sealed

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Yes, I can see, how secure IB became :P

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

No Hunky, you got it all wrong :| let me make a picture essay, and post it once I reach home. Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Security has different aspects and protection from XSS attacks is not a service offered by SSL. :P

I'll also make a picture essay with the limited knowledge I have about https. Money mouth

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I will do that when Google gets rid of Ad Block because thats the only way I would be able to afford it :D

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

I may go ahead with the SSL when I get know about installation and taking care of the side effects.. A lot geeky stuff out infront, which I am not that comfortable with..

LockSign in to reply to this thread