Would you travel to hear stories ?

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

If you are a writer, I bet you loved the bed time stories recited by your grandpa, grandmom or mom. Well, let's revive our childhood. I would like to collect some opinions if there are writers out there who share some common thoughts I dream about. I have designed a travel package based on some of the remote destinations of Bhutan and North Bengal ( Darjeeling and Dooars), where we would be meeting with the oldest people of the villages ( Some have even reached the age of 100) and hear their old stories sitting around a bon fire cozily. 

It can also be one of of the best way to organize a meet, isn't it? So if you are interested let's grow our links with comments and repliues. I would be answering all your queries.

Thanks

BABIT

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: correction
1-20
21-21
Replies 1 to 20 of 21 Descending
Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Stories are what make a writer drool... but funnily most writers look for trips that are either subsidized heavily or come as a prize!

So, I guess you're a travel consultant with a new idea... is it?

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

I am a social worker and promote rural areas, so you're right I am a travel consultant, but I make my living as a freelance writer. 

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Fabulous idea Grung! I can't give you my words whether I'll be able to join you right now but certainly would love to know more about it... like probable dates, rough itinerary, expenses and anything else that is mentionable......... [Cheers]

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Let's make our numbers atleast 15 so that we can get some concession on our individual expenses and plan it in the month of December. It will be a 10 days package where we will be visiting places like Bhutan , Darjeeling, Dooars and sikkim. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ok Gurung... keeping an eye from the reserved bench [smile]

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Hi All,

I have finally made the package...for all the writers

you can check it at 

http://quenchingwords.blogspot.in/2014/09/travel-to-hunt-for-stories-travel-plan.html

Thanks

Babit

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Cool idea... do share details once the plans are final.

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

sure ..the plans will be finalized based on the intersets the indibloggers will show.

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

I have submited the updates , you can check it now.

10 days is way too much of a vacation. Already had a 3 week long vacation this year Sealed

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Cool That sound's so refreshing, but any ways let's not take it as a vacation but more like a work, as you may realy get a lot of inspiration to start a niche.

Judy
Judy
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

When are you planning this trip..??

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

In the month of December, a best time to touch the clouds, capture the glorious sight of snow-fed kanchen junga and overall a time to enjoy cold nights sitting cozy around the fire with barbecues and stories.

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

knitha.urs
knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Interesting! !! Will wait for the updates! !

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Sure...will make a package ...and ask for opinions of all the writers....

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Hi all,

I am working on to identify the destinations that would best fit into a writer's closet. I just want some diversity in cultures because different culture have different stories to recite. The other factor is geographical location, because a story shared about hilld will never be the same on plains. So here are the factors that I will work up to create this plan, I request all the writers to share their views if they have one:

1. Culture ( Different cultures that we can explore in North Bengal) - Some of them are : Dukhpa, Rava, Bengali, Gorkhali, Koch-Mech, Raajwanshi etc.

2. Geography : Extreme hills like North Sikkim, Darjeeling , middle range like Mirik and kurseon villages, plains like the district of Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar.

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Found one place ...Totapara. I am including this village in the plan because it'll be truly a great experience to hear stories from a Old toto. This tribal village is the only kind in the whole world because  there were only 1184 totos left in whole world in 2001 and all were only found in this village. So it's amazing to explore a tribe that has no other families in the whole world.  Like them , their stories too would be unlinked from the whole world. 

In addition to this, recent finding by the Indian Anthropological Survey says that the average lifespan of the Toto tribal people is 35 years . I will soon come up with more remote villages in Bhutan and north Bengal to create a 10 day plan.

Thanks

BABIT

Bhavana Lalwani
Bhavana Lalwani
from Jodhpur
9 years ago

very very interesting ...  Bengal .. Tagor ka bengal, Vivekanand ka bengal and so many other bengals .. yessss .. would sure like to know more about  your plan.. kanchunjanga .. a dream unaccomplished 

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

I am identifying the remote villages of Sikkim, Darjeeling and other districts of North Bengal that have a lot historical influence. The stories revolve around the culture, myths and ethnology of foothills of Himalayas. One example I can give is about Silk Route that was once a major trading route of Asia.

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Your plan is already getting a lot of attention I see... 

BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

I am thrilled, but would like to keep it up till I don't give out a date with the names of participants. In fact I've already started receiving attention from writers from other countries as well. So I think this will be a real adventure sharing stories with all other writers of different culture and nationality.

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Hi All,

I have finally made the package...for all the writers

you can check it at 

http://quenchingwords.blogspot.in/2014/09/travel-to-hunt-for-stories-travel-plan.html

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

The wirters will be from all the over the world , so it will really a great experience to share even our culture and style of writing.

DS
DS
from Mumbai
9 years ago
I do not know if this is allowed here on the forum. I have conferred an IP discussion on this, whether to let this thread be or not.
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Is it because I 've shared the link? well I have shared the same link as my post and its the blog I have included here in indiblogger. This is not a promotion, it's an opportunity for writers and obviuously if it's promotion I am promoting the rural areas, and that's the reason we bloggers write.

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

The team is getting built, and till now we already have three members from different regions ( even Abroad) for the tip. So it'll really be fun.

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

This package includes the remote areas where public transporations are not readily available like , { Lepchakha even doesnot have road facility and for Dzongu people have to hire only sikkim vehcles), in whole the package includes a hire vehicle for 10 days, Sikkim inner permit, Guide and porter charges, translator charges, Bonfire, accomodation, food ( Three meals), forest permits, etc.   This area is less explored, so even if one goes through a travel agent for 10 days package with all the above  cost, it's a cheap package.  Also all the members are from different regions and communities, so every individual needs privacy with seperate accomodation. If possible anyone can get the details of normal costs for cucha package in North Bengal and Sikkim. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

you can check some of these and compare - its of 2011...but i'm sure prices havent changed to that extend - http://coochbehar.nic.in/htmfiles/NBSTC_Tourism_eng.html

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Besides, we already have few writers from Malaysia and other countries who have joined the team. 

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

Nandini, that's great...I bet if the same rates go for this travel plan ...and whether it can be availed for Sikkim either .. the rates go well for mass tourism and some coneventional tourist spots...not the rural areas..

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

you can some of these check these ( see bottom ---even their packages of 6/7 nights doesnt cost as much ) .... http://www.denzongleisure.com/

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

maybe foreigners will fall for the plan with rates you suggested, but not many indians would...just to go to some rural indian village and paying almost 50k per head is bit ridiculous...

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Come on Babit its too costly admit it

BABIT GURUNG
BABIT GURUNG
from DARJEELING
9 years ago

It's 9 nights and 10 days package.....

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

it doesnt matter if urs is 9/10 days package.....the one i showed was 6/7days.. ( see this --- http://www.denzongleisure.com/images/dooars-bhutan-fixed-departure.png ) .that included return fares too....urs dont include that...so, ppl will gave to pay their own travel fares...and anyone can calculate extra 3 days wont jump to 50k...ppl here are well travelled, many are travel bloggers too...i doubt if anyone will agree to the price you are setting, unless they are really ignorant

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

+1 ND

Vibha Ravi
Vibha Ravi
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Babit, while this seems like a good initiative, you need to take a re-look at price vs value. I guess something in the range of 20-25 k might be more appropriate for a 9 nights package. I guess villagers are going to play hosts as far as accommodation and meals are concerned? I understand you are trying to sell the experience here but we don't earn in dollars.

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Buddy, you know for someone coming from Delhi this package of your is going to cost 10,000/- per day... and this is why no right thinking person is going consider it seriously. I have stayed in homestays in Spiti, Meghalaya, Leh & other places all over the country and like me, others who might opt for your package know what they are being offered and what it really should be. I agree with Nandini and her perception of ROI in this case.

1-20
21-21
LockSign in to reply to this thread