Money transfers from foreign advertisers to be liable to 12.36% service tax

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

A new circular issued by the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) says banks and financial institutions which levy a fee or commission for facilitating the transfer of money from abroad will have to pay service tax.

My question on the forum is will the bloggers come under this service tax regime and if so will the tax be on Service charges levied by the banks or on the total amount received by the bloggers.

The circular is given here > http://www.servicetax.gov.in/notifications/notfns-2014/st14-2014.pdf

But it is typical government language so kindly comment on what your thoughts are about this new service tax laws

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: xx
Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending

Selling of space or time slots for advertisements other than advertisements broadcast by radio or television is not taxable service vide Clause (g) of Negative List of Services u/s 66D w.e.f. 1-Jul-2012.  In other words, service tax is payable only on advertisements on radio or TV.

I have already got my Media House (Press) Registration for NexGenBikes.com which takes me out of service tax for accepting advertisement !!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

How did you do that Innocent

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

An existing media house can apply for second registration.. Where as new individual has to be active in journalism (with registered press org) for 1 year or as freelance for 3 or 5 years (i think) before he / she can file petition for his / her own publication / media house.. If accepted then a lot of red tape work and I think around Rs. 45k of total spending would give you the registration !!

NexGenBikes.com is active for 5 years and based on that my petition was granted !!

6 month of total paper work and then got my registration !!

Yearly fee I think is Rs. 5k as of now !!

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

spill the beans, yo!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

That is long drawn and combo is only 2 years old Cry

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

What if I am writing articles for someone and I get paid via PayPal. The amount gets calculated based on how many articles were posted. Would I still need to pay? Its not deemed as "foreign advertisers", is it? I need to send invoice to the site owner. it clearly states "news writeup" and no of articles 

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

They forced Google and Paypal to include the PAN card few years back and this is not new, Adsense or Paypal was always subjective of TAX.. Be it income or Service Tax..

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Sorc am supposed receive 20 pounds in Paypal withdrawal within 3 days will come to know after that.  But I think when Paypal receives payment in foreign currency it will trigger this ST.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

@VP..

Calculation is sent to gov as year end data !!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Hunky this circular makes it compulsory for the service providers to deduct ST at source

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

na na. what I wanted to ask was that will it be considered as a salary or ad revenue? 

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

@VP..

You have to wait till they enforce the rule in Paypal system !!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

The circular was issued in July and is enforceable from 1.10.2014Cry

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

I have read it few times now, it has nothing to do with enforcing TDS.. Please quote the line which you believes to makes it mandate for payment issuer to deduct TDS ??

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Read the article in Times of India, Mumbai edition

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Cant trust it.. :))

Since the rule you posted has no mention and the entire topic is 5 years or more old..

Blogging was taxed long back..

Google and Paypal froze many account sine owners were unable to provide PAN Card back then..

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Sorc this has nothing to do with Income tax, it comes under indirect taxation rules

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

The Times of India article is here > http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Money-transfer-from-abroad-in-service-tax-net/articleshow/44818306.cms

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

They talk about NRI funding and tax on banks :|

In a circular issued by the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), the government said banks and financial institutions which levy a fee or commission for facilitating the transfer of money from abroad will have to pay service tax.

They are going to TAX the bank or the service provider who charges money for the service.. Not you directly

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

But why will the connected bank pay ST on behalf of you Undecided They will make us payCry

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

They talk about remittance under which bloggers come I suppose, though I am no authority on this.  Will wait till Tony or Harsh can comment on this.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

But why will the connected bank pay ST on behalf of you

Suppose you walk into a Western Union in USA and ask them to send USD 500 to me in India.. WU will charge you USD 10 or such for the task.. This new rules will force WU to pay 12.36% on that USD 10, not in USD 500 which you are sending..

So from now on, either they have to pay TAX from their own pocket or charge you USD 10 + ST

Hope I am clear !!

Same applies with Paypal since I think Paypal takes fee in trasfering money to your account right ?? So now they need to pay service tax on that fee

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Yes my thots exactly but they will recover that 12.36% from me I suppose

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Yes my thots exactly but they will recover that 12.36% from me I suppose

They may or they may not.. But even if they do, its not on the money you receive rather the commision you pay !!

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Even that is high Cry As it is paypal loots us Yell

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Even that is high

That I have no comments, its out of our hands.. Switch to direct banking else Pay paypal the fee Innocent

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Read this topic on productforums > https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/adsense/Service$20Tax%7Csort:relevance/adsense/aGeSXPagCd4

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Read.. Google has no transaction fee so there is no TDS.. Yes Bank may ask you for your tax declaration there you are in need to either clarify why its no taxable or if its taxable, then provide your TAX receipt and pay the tax..

Note one thing its been more than 5 years since Blogging earnings were made taxable under service TAX..

Google and Paypal all took our PAN card numbers or closed the accounts without PAN Card.. I remember since Paypal refused initially, RBI barred Paypal out of India and they where forced to collect PAN Card for every acc and close acc without PAN Card..

Soon they may levee a tax on prizes that you win from blogging =))

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I think they already do that via Gift Tax Undecided

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

I think they already do that via Gift Tax

I wonder if all the winners have paid that who wan in IB ?? :-/

By the way, how much is that ??

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Dunno will have to ask Inditeam or Renie Wink  BTW the Nexus 7 I received was taxed 9K and was paid by Nestle

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Companies usually keep aside promotional units aside Some are given to reviewers. Some to chosen retailers for personal use. Some for inhouse contests, promotions, product placements. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I feel that they should implement service tax like the way they do for renting commercial places (not sure of residential). Its like this, if you rent a space which crosses a total pay of 10 lakhs per annum, you pay service tax. I don't understand why is there service tax for renting out the place, but its there for a long time. Government should excuse small time guys who usually use that money to stuff to promote business, hire people and take care of expenses. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread