When the Ink literally runs dry...

Shahen Pardiwala
Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Recently, I visited the Tata lit fest. There were a bunch of accomplished writers who spoke on a topic that aroused a lot of curiosity in me. “When the ink runs dry!” i would love to know how my fellow bloggers cope with this feeling of vacuum...when we have absolutely no ideas!!! and when the Ink, literally runs dry!!!Cool 

thank you, 

Shahen...Laughing

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: I was unaware I couldn't put a link in the forum for posts..
Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending
CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Shahen, I'm sorry but we are not supposed to put up links to our blogs/blogposts here on the forum. Please use IndiVine for sharing your blogpost with others, and you can invite fellow bloggers to give you feedback directly on your blog. I hope you understand.

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

How can you humans run out ideas? 

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Well, we never run outta ideas but sometimes we definitely run out of ideas to write about

Shahen Pardiwala
Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Well, we never run outta ideas but sometimes we definitely run out of ideas to write about

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

We dont run out of ideas; ideas run away from us Tongue out

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago
I have ideas but no time :|
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Time runs away from youTongue out

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

If we put it to the best use time seems endless...however sometimes it does look like it is running!! Oh man! How do I catch those running ideas??? 25000 ideas per second!!!

No. You don't have ideas and you have time

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago
Nsv i really dont have time :|
Shahen Pardiwala
Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

If we put it to the best use time seems endless...however sometimes it does look like it is running!! Oh man! How do I catch those running ideas??? 25000 ideas per second!!!

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

If I run out of ideas, I watch a movie or read a book and write a review :)

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Exactly...that helps us to write something to post...something can also inspire us to create something new and unusual...

Shahen Pardiwala
Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Really funny...I have written a post on the similar topic and it is on indivine! Do check it out...its title is "When the Ink, Literally, Runs dry" do give a feedback.

Nice talking to you.

To be pedantic. If you are blogging then the ink isn't "literally" running dry.
Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

But what about this. You have an idea. But you aren't on your laptop and there is absolitely no way you can write it down or type it...you have no means to preseeve the idea in order To write when you have the time and resources...

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Ink does really sometimes goes dry, that's why we use gel/ball pens. Wink

I suppose this happens with almost everyone, more importantly when your blog focuses on a specific niche, and you're reluctant to try on other topics.

This often happens with me, I run out of ideas, inspiration, content to write a week's blog post. Since my blog is one that heavily depends on factors other than my creativity, and, ones, that I have little or almost no control on, I look towards knowledge scattered over the internet. There have been times when I had nothing to write upon, at some of these occasions, I head over to the internet to help me, at other times, I let on pass the moment, till I feel a bit more creative to work without content, or, have something to write upon.

And for the general/personal blogger, who takes the liberty to blog on variety of topics, I feel ideas like IndiSpire come to rescue, where people share ideas, and this really helps, when the ink has dried up.

Except that the Indispire topics are less than inspiring.

Out on Wordpress Daily Post they had a post about putting a Roundup together. Essentially, curating some interesting articles from around the interweb and putting in some commentary around it. It can work when the "ink" runs dry and the liquour shop is closed.

I have on a couple of occasions indulged myself in a stream of concsiousness post. "Fish" was one such and the latest "Coming Soon" was another. Just a ramble, stringing words together, letting them fall where they may. See what happens. You may surprise yourself and come up with something.

It's strange, on the one hand I really cannot understand how bloggers can post everyday. I worry so much about what I'm saying and how I'm saying, the language, finding the right images that I'm an irregular blogger. Yet for me the actual blog post itself hardly ever takes more than 20-30 minutes.

I should stop here before I'm accused of writing another essay.

Really: my advice. Just write. One word at a time. Don't worry about it making sense. It will, at the end.

Trust me.

I know what I'm doing.

I know I'm right.

Now, off I go to find readers who can take the total visitor count above 9,000 lifetime visitors.

Shameful, isn't it?

Yet, I'm giving advice....

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I have a personal blog and I write about a very large variety of things...niche blogging sometimes is difficult and hence I have stuck to what I do. I write everything, from relationships to personal experiences movie review and anytging n everything that inspires me!! But indispire topics, sometimes don't really inspire...however they have come to the rescue a lot of times. And also the contests. Thank u for telling me that I cant put up links in the forum.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Actually, I must thank you for your understanding of the importance of following the rules, otherwise people start questioning the very motive of the one who points it out.  The rules are there for greater good, and this keeps the forum clean of all sorts of promotional activities, leaving room for meaningful discussions like this one.

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
9 years ago

Sometimes the ink can come out in a trickle too.  Often the best thing to do when the ink runs out is to take a break.  Breaks can be rejuvenating too.  

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Yes...taking a break is always useful..but then what does one do while he takes a break? Walk, eat sleep play???

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
9 years ago

What to do during a break? Maybe take time to get reacquainted with the other people who inhabit your universe...the people who live in your house..family...spuse/kids/parents/etc...i don't know may meet friends...go out..live a life...For many of us writing/blogging is a stress buster from the presssures of work/life..so writing once a week gives you ample breaks in between...it's all up to individual preference... 

When you review restaurants on a regular basis then it is also good to take a break..your stomach will thank you Laughing

Shahen Pardiwala
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Yes its important for us to know that writing/blogging is not the only thing that exists and there is a world that is left to be explored. It happened with me...I forgot that there is a social life to be fulfilled.

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Ink... well, you've reminded me to clean my parker frontier fountain pen that I bought from York in 1995 and write at least a line or two this year. So quite literally, the ink in my pen is dry... but hey, who said anything about ideas? Or writing? People who go arounf with iPads and Tabs will just smile at the metaphor and murmur, 'Low on charge seems more like it!'

But then we have powerbanks, man... but seriously, look around and you'll agree that life has no dearth of ideas. Thewriter just needs to be idea-ready and there needs to be a 'will for ideas'. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread