Double Standard

rekhaP
rekhaP
from hyderabad
9 years ago

The Recent Uber Cab incident and the aftermath has lead to cancellation of licence of Uber in Delhi and recently because of there bad services even in Amesterdam some stern action is taken against this firm. As you all know, it is private foreign firm which has flouted certain rules and got the licence to run cabs in India. This firm being American has three step background check process in the US but not in India. Uber has a strong policy on background checks in the US. On their  website they have boldly explained this policy:These are double standards. Background check and police verification in USA but not here may be they take us easy, who knows? So let us all raise a strong voice against the double standard. When I got a mail from Alina Tiphagne, New Delhi to sign her petition agains this double standard at change.org, I immediately signed it Smileand thought of sharing this with you and want to know your views on this. If you also want to sign Alina's pitition you can go to change.org and do it.Laughing

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: spell check
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending

Hi,

I don't think Indiblogger is the correct platform to indulge in these kinds of activities. I'm afraid IB Admins will delete your post shortly

Try to write a post about the activity, why you feel we should sign the petition and submit it on Indivine. That is the way to make your voice heard on IB.

Cheers.

rekhaP
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Thanks, I changed it, you can go to change.org find the details there.

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Also based on mere allegation how can you consider the man guilty, let the law take its due course. Please don;t create prejudice.

Snazzyawi
Snazzyawi
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Partha are you seeing news channels & News paper !!

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Did you see news channels and read papers after Badaun rape case? What happened then?  Do you know it was false? Do you know why courts don't rely on any news report? Are you all judges here who can deliver verdict?

rekhaP
rekhaP
from hyderabad
9 years ago

The law will take its own course in punishing hte culprit; but it is about the double standard attitude of the firm is in questionUndecided

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Please don't form judgements or create prejudice here. 75% of India's rape cases are false. Rape can be proved only after a forensic examination and before that please don't create unnecessary hysteria here or anywhere else. Any woman can file a rape complaint against anyone, but that does not mean we need to hang every accused. This street justice if not stopped then women will lose their trust and no man will be comfortable with women and vice versa. As based on simple complaint any man becomes criminal even without a proof.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

75% of India's rape cases are false ----------------------------------------------Really? Where are these numbers that you are citing?

Please don't say whatever you want to just because you are a misogynist. When you are unable to discuss anything without personal prejudice, you shouldn't be a part of any discussion.

Smart people don't. Morons will continue to spout such nonsense and defend their pathetic stance.

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
9 years ago

75% cases are false? Really? Where is the source of these figures?  Place it here before pulling such factoids out of....thin air.   The issue is not about accusations but the double standard attitude of Uber.

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

If you don't know anything about India's crime scenario why do you need to give expert opinion? Go check our crime stats. Also the driver was earlier arrested in a rape case but was also acquitted after trial. Don;t form opinion based on baseless media reports that you don't understand.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Subroto, I second your opinion.

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
9 years ago

Ok I have seen your blog and now realise the futility of continuing this discussion.  True men are in great danger in India and need protection from evil women who falsely tarnish their name and reputations.  I salute your heroic efforts in highlighting these issues of gender discrimination.

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

If you have no knowledge of what you are talking of then keep your mouth shut. You are not a judge and can't deliver any verdict. Also any accused can't be termed as an offender until proven guilty. One day even you can be accused by any woman in any false case, then would you like to be hanged by the street mafia like you? In earlier cases he was acquitted but still media is trying to project him as srial offender. Shame on everyone..Simply on accusition one is made a confirmed criminal.

++

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Maybe, on some other day, I wouldn't have agreed with Partha, but here, given the recent incidents, maybe, I'm not wrong agreeing with Partha, atleast, not today. Anyways, he isn't saying anything wrong, in saying that we shouldn't make any judgements unless the law takes its due course, and proper investigations complete.

We just have a classic example in the Rohtak "eve teasing" case. Based on the allegations of the girls, both the men got arrested, their jobs and life got disrupted, just based on the allegations made by the girls. Both the girls were hailed as brave hearts and what not, the government announced prize as well. Isn't this injustice? Without knowing the other side of the story, without even doing proper investigation, the men were labeled eve teasers, got beaten as well. Just yesterday I was reading about the Nisha Sharma Dowry Case which concluded in 2011, after 9 years of trials, with the courts pronouncing the accused not guilty. The lady and her family had alleged that the bridegroom and his family asked for dowry and as a result, the girl (Nisha Sharma) decided not to marry and lodged a police complaint. What came out of the investigation was that the lady had married someone else before this marriage, and her family knew this. The bridegroom and his family members had to go through a lot of pain and harassment for a baseless allegation. The courts pronounced the accused as not guilty, but there was no punishment for filing a false dowry case. And there are a hundred of such other cases, we come through in our daily lives.

Just like these we have a number of rape cases lodged everyday. I'm not saying all are false, but then, a number of these cases are ones where failed relationships lead to lodging of false rape cases.

And talking about double standards, we are subjected to these almost everytime and everywhere. Just try recalling the recent Global NCAP crash test reports. where the company said that Maruti Suzuki Swift failed the crash test, while the version sold in EU zone comes with all the safety features. While these companies like Nissan, Suzuki provide all sorts of safety features including compulsory Airbags, ABS and such other features, in the "developed countries" they leave out providing such necessary features stating that there are no regulations in the country to provide these.

In this case, it's unearthed that the company did get a police verification done with Delhi Police, and even after having a past criminal track record where the accused driver was involved in a similar incident, he was given a clean chit by Delhi Police. What does one expect from the company then? Which authority should they get in touch with, to get a proper background check and verification done? Or should they do that themselves?

Yes - there are frivolous and false allegations and we should suspend judgement from media reports, given that media reports are usually poorly written, badly researched and more often than not have editorials disguised as "facts".

It is also true, that women are more in danger. Partha's comments seem to imply that all cases are wrongfully brought against men and his blog has a decidedly misogynistic flavour to it, so his assertion that we should suspend judgment seems to be the right attitude based on the wrong reasons.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Sir, that's the reason, I said:

Maybe, on some other day, I wouldn't have agreed with Partha

But IMO, what he's pointed out here, has nothing to do with what he expresses on his blog (which, I haven't checked out). Maybe, he's not all right, but, he's not all wrong either.

sneh
sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

I also myself in agreement with part ha,  even thought the language written to deliver opinion leave much to be desired.

Also one must not blindly believe media, as they are in the business of generating TRP'S and not presenting verified facts. 

You can take the instance of actress sweta basu widely reported to be caught in prostitution racket but then court of law cleared all her charges. Just go ahead and read the letter she has written about media which is pretty damning and completely clears her situation. Infact going by the letter, you will be shocked to see that almost 99% of so called reported facts by media was wrong. I was shocked too. I still view her with suspicion though since she refuses to file a anti defamation case.

So the case is, don't believe media, let the law run its course.

Demand for justice where it is actually required, I. E massive ccorruption in delhi and the uber company because it seems they were in violation of many rules, for one, they did not have authorization to work as a cab company. 

So Uber has it coming, if already people have not passed verdict on top of GOI appropriately banning it.

@Rekha : before supporting this petitions please get a clear idea what you are supporting so as to save yourselyourself time. At no point you can accuse these companies of double standards. They are only providing services best of their capability in accordance to the law of land. U be r has strict background check in US because it is requirement by law there, in india law is not that strict so Uber has full right to be lax on background checks as long as they don't encroach laws. However in this case, it seems they were breaking law so they will accordingly tried. Therefore no need of petition. This same logic is applicant for cars as well. The so called double standards come because indian regulations are just not strict enough.

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago
You should check facts. Many have reported issues with Uber even in the United States. There have also been reports where drivers confirmed that there were no checks being done, and many times where Uber drivers in US and UK created problems for others. This is the latest case in United States:   http://www.businessinsider.in/Now-San-Francisco-And-Los-Angeles-Are-Suing-Uber/articleshow/45445424.cms   That said, people should read terms and conditions of other private taxi services as well: http://www.nextbigwhat.com/indian-online-cab-operators-terms-conditions-297/     Its absolutely wrong of Uber using the word 'safe'. You have to deliver what you promise. But people should also know what others are doing as well. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread