Greedy Indian Children

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Since last few decades, the number of nuclear families in India are rising. More and more old parents are either finding themselves penniless and in shabby old-age homes or they are physically abused and thrown in one corner of the home that they had built.

Recently, I came across an old lady in old-age home. She widowed at the age of 35 and she single-handedly raised her son. She forked money for his engineering as well as marriage. She retired and turned all her savings over to her son to manage. After 5 years, son and daughter-in-law moved out. The lady's savings were lost in bad investment. She had to sell her house and move in the old-age home.

I asked the son why did he move out. He said now he had his own family and he really couldn't afford the rising medical costs of his mother. And anyway, everybody in India was going global. Children all over the world have started living separate from their parents. He wasn't doing anything new.

Well, now I've one point. In other parts of the world, the children who aren't going to stay with their parents are also not going to ask their parents to pay for their college education. They also aren't going to have lavish weddings paid by their parents. First you need to become financial independent from 18. ONLY then you can leave your aging parents alone.

Right now what I'm seeing is, first children rob their parents of their money in the name of college education, cars in colleges and lavish weddings. And when parents retire thinking now it's their children's turn to take care of them, their children move out.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking to turn this into a blog post.

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: Polished.
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Saket Kalikar
Saket Kalikar
from Hyderabad
9 years ago

A subject worth talking about, Pankti.

I look at it this way- her investment in her son turned out to be another bad investment.

The parents " invest "in children exoecting reasonable "returns" in their grey years. Now there are two parts of thus investment- the emotional investment (love, care, time) and the second part is financial investment. Lets leave the emotional part for now.

Any investment has the potential to turn good or bad. Especially those which are not rated by any rating agency :)

The sane applies to the investment on kids. So these golden rules of investment apply here too-

1. Never put all your money in one basket, whether FD, ir equity or MF or you kids.

2. Never invest the money needed for your basic necessities ( old age food, shelter, medical expenses) in a risky investment (like kids edu :) ). In simple words, do not liquidate your PF or sell your only house for sponsoring kid's education.

3. Never let the kids inherit your money as long as you are alive. Rather write a will and keep in safe place.

With these you will minimise your risks.

And the emotional investment part? Think it as another bad investment. Develope a hobby and spend your old age without the emotional support from kids.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Sad state of affairs. Frown

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I am sorry to bring gender issues here. This is more of a problem of men rather than women. Women rob men in relations and men come on the street simply on marriage. Now in the name of marriage law amendment this govt. want to give 50% property rights to wife simply on marriage. This includes inherited, inhieritable and gifted property as well. In India other than a handful of MRAs no one is protesting these kind of family breaking laws. Everyone, including the mainstream media is promoting this as women empowerment and women are feeling good about it. The same way, compensation to all gender related crime was promoted and men were made scapegoat everywhere. Many men supported these laws without understanding that these are only ways to unleash legal terrorism. They suffer in silence as there is noone to hear there stories. Result - 80% homeless people are men.

The example you have given about son moving out and children being greedy etc. This is carefully ingrained in our brains. People in general have become more greedy. These laws for extortion is supported using social media and creating outrage among common people who do not understand law, not even crime. Who are not involved in courts or any legal process. Hence they suffer.

These are carefully planted thoughts in our minds that leads us to our own destruction. Disintegration of our country in the name of gender. A son moving out of parents house is more provocated by his wife. The son also wants his mental peace from constant nagging. We have already submitted to various feminists agenda promoted by UN and funded by different US groups in portraying our men as biggest criminals on earth. That is how we have first broken our family system and now breaking social integration and gender balance. 

India had a strong family system which was backbone of our culture. Hinduism is appreciated everywhere for their strong values and culture. West is trying to learn from us and they are sponsoring to break the same system. Everyone who created knee jerk reaction in any manner after any of the alleged crime, anyone who wanted knee jerk punishment are responsible because they didn't understand how the social fabric was changed and how deep rooted was the conspiracy against India. 

This had mostly come from bloggers as they could make or break opinions. The damage is continuous and still happening continuously. Happening through us. People who do not understand how the ruling section is taking away the freedom of every common man little by little every day. The early we realize that and fight against the same the better it is. Else we are very soon going to see complete anarchy here.

Remember, one innocent man in Bangalore is beaten almost to death on people thinking him as eve teaser. Many more such incidents are going to come. You see children leaving their parents. See the greater danger of disintegration of our society.

Now it is happening in the name of women empowerment.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Mate, this is foolish bringing in your baseless figures, again blaming women for it. Even if it were because of a wife's pressures that a man abandoned his old parents wasn't it more of his responsibility to take care of his old parents?

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

CK, chill. According to some misogynists, women are even responsible for global warming.  =))=))=))=))

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I think it's our collective responsibility to tell these "fools" that women were not the reason behind the ice ages earth went through, nor did women drop the atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and women had no role in Bhopal, 30 yrs ago. And the one who gave birth to such "fool(s)" too also is/was/are/were woman/women.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

CK, yesterday when I was saying this, you guys said I was over-reacting Tongue outLaughing

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

I like reading his comments though...ensures good debate whatever the topic is...esp with the replies he gets :p

Ragini Puri
from New Delhi/Ludhiana
9 years ago

I second CK.

Someone has an axe to grind against the entire womenfolk. 

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Lol..all your comments show that none of you are even aware of ground reality today. We handle divorces daily and we know what is happening. Today in most of the casses the wife pressurises the husband to live separate, else hel breaks lose. She files all sorts of cases. We have seen such mothers coming srying to us for relief. There are many feminists who were in the forefront in women empowerment battles who suffer such attrocities. You will call me fool only until you see this happening in your family or with you. Don't be surprised that day. 

And to verify whether what I said is true go to any family court and check it yourself. Or consult some family lawyer separetely and you will come to know the truth. It is the greed that is highlighted here, that works in most such cases. Unless you have direct experience of handling such cases and have knowledge about court procedure, please don't give expert opinion.

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Fairy Princess - You called me a misogynist, did you ever demand any punishment for the serial criminal Rohtak sisters. You would have demanded death penalty or even harsher punishment for men in many different cases but why not for ROhtak sisters? Doesn't that mean you are a misandrist, who hate men? Those criminals received bravery certificate from NCW they are also getting police protection. Can you imagine that happening to a man who is a serial criminal? You would have given death penalty if they were men instead. Doesn't it show that you are misandrist alongwith many others?

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Partha, atleast I don't want to see the ground reality, if people like you are spreading the "awareness" about it. It's good that you're fighting/working for a cause, but doing it this way makes you a MORON, nothing else. I'm sorry for using this word, I wouldn't have used this, but, your attitude towards the issue makes me use this word. You can't judge everyone with a single yardstick. Even all the fingers in our own hands are not equal, and so, goes the society. Just spreading hatred among the people, about the opposite sex seems to be the ONLY motive you and your so called "NGO" has.

Agreed that there are problems, impartiality in the form of some laws enacted haphazardly, like the Dowry, and Domestic Violence acts. But, then, if you actually want to do something, work towards getting these acts/laws rectified, rather than inciting hatred among people. Just for your own good, can you try comparing "FACTS" to check out how many MEN were actually burnt to death by their WIVES (for whatever reason)? Please don't try countering this with something you're good at. Reply if you actually can refer to some reference material, else, don't bother replying.

And I believe you're not the only one who has got access to lawyers. Just try looking out of your cocoon to actually understand what's happening.

If you want yourself to be taken seriously, go and get back with HARD verifiable facts from known REFERENCES. Just shooting out numbers, baselessly doesn't make you THE SAVIOUR of MENFOLK.

COME BACK WITH ACTUAL REFERENCES FROM WHERE YOU GOT THOSE NUMBERS - About the 75% rape cases being false, and this 80% homeless people being men. Without references, it's worthless discussing what you're trying to convey. I, for one, can't believe in the propaganda you're spreading.

And best of luck for what you're doing. Atleast I can't imagine my life without women around me.

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Dear Cyberkid - If you want real reference, please do a study of India's crime statistics. See how many cases in each category is true. You will get that on NCRB website. You spoke about how many husbands are burnt by their wives - Today we don't have that statistics as the govt. does not maintain that statistics. But in terms of both accidental deaths and suicides men in India outnumber women far more. Again to check this please study NCRB stats.

Before calling someone a moron you should have checked his background and the study he has already done. I have never said a world without women will be good. I have only said today all you guys, who call me a moron are creating an extremely biased society that will kill your near and dear ones one day. I have never said that no one has access to lawyers, If you have access to lawyers, please go and check with them. It is a big business for them and when they themselves get accused, bar council step in and prevent all harassment for advocates. But no one comes to the rescue of a common man. So a common man only suffers the legal and social attrocities and lawyers never bother.

Today I wrote this only because I understand what is happening very much. I have probably studied all national and international social reports, crime stats, judgements more than anyone else commenting here. 

To know whether what I said is right you need to have some knowledge on the stats, please check them and come back, without proving yourself as a moron. 

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I shouldn't. It's you who is shooting those numbers. put up references for your numbers.

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Lol...your comment exposes you completely. If you don't want to study yourself then you need to blv me. Else you need to do your study from NCRB website. Data is there and it is not my imagination. If you can't verify, then you will have to blv me, no option. From next time please don't give expert opinion if you don't know smething or don't have the capacity to check the same yourself.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Prabhu, (no offence to Vijay Prabhu), you've gone through and studied all the world's literature/reports on gender crimes. Will you please bother enligtening us, poor folks, about the sources you found those numbers in? We are just asking you to tell us the source, which shouldn't be a big issue for you, as you've studied all the reports, right? Just, if you can, please tell us the page number and report name/year so that we also could get some gyaan ka prakash.

You really think my comment exposes me? You put up baseless and ridiculous numbers and allegations, and when people ask you to cite the source of your numbers in answer you tell them to check NCRB records.You say you don't have statistics for how many men were burnt to death by their wives, as GOI doesn't keep a record, but I suppose GOI keeps a record for the opposite? Isn't it a crime burning to death one's husband? What does NCRB do then? just keep a record of crimes against women only?

And regarding the Expert Opinions, I guess you are the one posting those numbers, alleging women to be root of all evil, see how beautifully you've changed this thread too to something it wasn't. You are the one who has done all the studies in the world on gender crimes and you are the one asking people to find a needle of a number in a mountain of hay of the NCRB data, and you say, I'm exposed and shouldn't put forth my expert opinion? Sir please read carefully, who, except you has put forth expert opinion on the subject matter?

Partha, 

I wish, some day, you will realise that you are defeating the very cause you are fighting for

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Cyberkid - Are you a dumbass? Didn't I tell you that the source is NCRB website, National Crime Records Bureau...please visit their site before you prove yourself a fool. Regarding all international reports etc. Please visit my blog to get those reports. 

Narasimha - I was on your side until five years ago because I was heavily influenced by media reports. Then I started my study and involving myself when I realized the issue. Today, "living separate from parents" is a demand that mostly comes from the wives, else the husband gets criminal cases. You guys are good bloggers, any of you can make or break opinions, just do your research, talk to victims, go through law commission reports, Judgements and decide. Don't create a situation that will kill you one day for mistake of yours. 

I will give you two examples - Do you know about Khurshid Anwar and Tarun Tejpal, No one demanded their death penalty or castration or there was no knee jerk reaction for them. Rather feminists like Shoma Chaudhury came in support and wrote articles for them and did character assasination for them. In recent Rohtak case too No one bothered about the suffering of the old woman who were denied her seat by the cruel girls. Everyone including NCW given bravery award to the cruel girls. No one demanded any punishment for the girls. The guys in fact spent three / four days in jail for no offence. Do you think it is justice? In Bangalore one innocent man was thrashed by a mob almost to death - do you think it is justice? You all are giving in to a situation of anarchy.

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Ck, not worth talking to someone who believes their assumptions are the ultimate facts. He already had too much footage on this thread now just let it go!!!

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

knitha - that shows even you are not interested to see the true side and continue to live in your make beleive world. All of you as bloggers can change the opinion of the world through your blogs but you should check the data yourself before doing so. There is no point in blindly arguing on something. Go check our crime records online from NCRB website. Why is that too much for anyone of you? You guys are such fantastic bloggers and personally I like many of your blogs, but none of you are ready to see the social anarchy that is being created today. Please understand crime has no gender and today crime against men is not even recognized. That is creating a lot of criminals in the society out of common men. Ordinary men are committing henious crimes, murders. Please understand the change. I am sure as bloggers you all are thought leaders and capable of doing this. 

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Exactly partha!!!"Crime has no gender"

Sweety Pateliya
Sweety Pateliya
from Nagpur
9 years ago
I totally agree. Children look at the western culture and try to adopt it by living nuclear and not wanting to help their parents financially. Even if they do, they do not miss out a chance on making them count their EHSAAN they are doing by keeping their parents with them. They do not see the other side as you said. They take summer jobs, right after 16 and are independent after a couple of years. The topic totally deserves to be a blog post.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Yup.

Saket Kalikar
Saket Kalikar
from Hyderabad
9 years ago

Why blame the kids alone? No son or daugher will want their parent to go bankrupt spending lavishly on marriage. Yet the parents spend for show off. Why do they agree to buy a car of the college going son or an iphone6 for daughter and not buy any health insurance for themselves? Lack of correct financial education, probably. 

Sometimes the children can not live with parents for reasons attributable to today's limitations like 1 BHK flat in Mumbai. And simetimes its just their fiercely independent personalities and attitudes which parents have dificulties adjusting to.

Not saying that children can wash off their hands snd should not try to find s way out from limitations. But its time now that parents should start anticipating such situations and plan well in advance, like buying health insurance, pension plan with the money they use to  buy cars and iphones for their college going kids, just to prove themselves before their kids.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Totally agree.

Parichita
Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

You cannot blame children. I'm not saing they are right, but think about the circumstances too. Sometimes, it's jsut the circumstances which forces the children to abandon their parents. The rising expenditure and decreasing attachments-- you cannot blame a child. Sometimes, the distances between parent and a child become too long to cover. aain I'm no defending the children, but just being devil's advocate.

Don't you think it's better to send them to old age home than seeing them treated as a dirt in the household, or than feeling them burden and cursing them silently for the expenditure they cause?

Also, I'm kind of a very distrustful person (as is my mother).  I have two brothers, but my mom has refuse to sell her simple house for bigger or better place only for the reason that she should have something which is hers later on. Times are changing. If you cannot expect the child to stay with you forever, why not make plans beforehand?

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Laxmi, I agree with your stand about parents being cautious. But I simply can't absolve children abandoning their parents after robbing them blind. There's something like morals. If you have problems with your parents or you are detached from them emotionally, don't take their money. Pay your own way. But asking them to pay for your "necessities" and then abandoning them when they can't do anything is disgusting. There's no excuse for it. Sorry.

I think our generation has learnt the lesson. I, for one would love not to have any children, and even if I have, I will spend on them, only after I indulged myself to my heart's content and throw away the rest on his/her face.

TechChumz
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I think Pankti should now write about greedy parents who rob their children even before their birth Tongue out

I can take such posts. But not children Tongue out

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

@TechChumz, I have written about gendercide before Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Bad NSV Uncle! Undecided

Yell

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
9 years ago

When I saw the title, I thought it was about small children greedily gobbling away at their food.

TechChumz
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Laughing

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
9 years ago

Undecided

Snazzyawi
Snazzyawi
from Mumbai
9 years ago