Google Operating System: What do you think?

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Finally, the moment has come - Google is stepping onto Microsoft's shoes (albeit very lightly for now). They've announced that their "Chrome OS" willl be available on netbooks later this year. This says it all:

However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010.

Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

It's about time we had a web based OS. Strangely though, I'm feeling very affectionate towards my Win XP right now...

I had written about Google's plans for World Domination 2 years ago - now it looks like they're a step closer. Smile

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Strangely , with Google spreading its tentacles , i started liking MS more Tongue out Human psychology i suppose ? Tongue out

GingerChai.com

Parth J Dave
Parth J Dave
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I think that Google introducing an operating system is a great initiative in this era of modernisation. I guess there shall be tons of Google OS users since our dear Google has carved an unique identity of itself.

Now as far as Microsoft is concerned, they also need to work on their products and utilities, in order to compete with Google.

It is definitely a great step for Google now, and I am eagerly looking forward for the release of the Google OS.

At this juncture, a thought arises in my mind - What if Google and Microsoft collaborate? Won't that be a historic step in revolutionising the future of computing?

Anyway, this is never going to happen since the thought of this solely gives me goosebumps... Cool

Suman Bolar
Suman Bolar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I luuuurve Google. Big Google fan. IMO, they know what the word "innovate" means. However, I agree with Subhayan about Chrome's shortcomings as a browser. My 14 yr old son was an early adopter... I stuck with Firefox, and am happy with that decsion. Even when we see a Chrome OS, I'd wait for a V2 before adopting. Oh, and corporation or not, I'd still place my trust in Google over MS, anyday... for the exact reason Subhayan stated: the future can only be based on collaborative, user-driven platforms.

Srinivas Iyengar
Srinivas Iyengar
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Well, giving a technical overview of the entire episode of Google introducing a New Operating System "Chrome". What I feel is they want to quench their thirst for Technical Expertise that is it .. they don't care about most of things. Chrome Browser used a number of Firefox Plugins and also Chrome OS is built on top of Linux Kernel (as far as i could apprehend Sealed) and they want  to drive out the traffic on to the web so that they will have greater market share with Search and Ad's. Chrome OS would focus on using Google's Products which are on the web .

What Microsoft is good at is having everything from scratch. You name it they have a Microsoft Product in that segment, MS Office,MS SQL Server, MS Operating Systems, MS Search Engine(Bing) to Azure, Visual Studio, SharePoint,BizTalk Server,Live Mesh and Live Services.

Microsoft is planning a Paradigm shift in the Operating System Segment with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Having used Windows 7 for a Pretty long time(Windows 7 Release Candidate aka RC ) i can say it is way better than Windows XP and Windows Vista.. a go -ahead from my side if you are hell bent on using Windows Operating System.

Lastly,It is as difficult for Microsoft to get ahead of Google in WWW as it is for Google in terms of Client OS and bunch of desktop applications . But having said that , Microsoft is ahead in the Race  Wink .

Subhayan Mukerjee
from Pilani
14 years ago

Microsoft may be ahead in the race it they CANNOT, i repeat CANNOT hope to win the race if they don't change their attitude towards customers ... open source is the IN thing now ... and Google will wipe away all traces of MS if MS continues the way it is ... just as the once great 30 volume Brittanica Encyclopedia had o accept defeat to the open source wikipedia ... within a couple of years or so ... Google will bring about the downfall of MS soon ... 

aativas
aativas
from Delhi
14 years ago

The more competition in the market, the more options consumers have. So, I welcome the news.Smile

aswin
aswin
from chennai
14 years ago

I love google alot,it gives all applications needed in web. With the intro of open source google chrome OS  may reduce the usage of pirated OS.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Its was long time coming! Google finally had put the cover down! there were rumors that Google was doing this but no one believed.

Google just wants to keep Ms in check. I was assuming that Google was doing a linux when i heard it first. This is startling.

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
14 years ago

I've always wondered about a web OS. Finally Google checks that off my wish list. People now ask, "Have you googled it?" when they want to ask "Have you searched it?". Google is certainly on their way to googlefy the world.

leon
leon
from kolkata
14 years ago

i have heard this 2 years back ... said to be a rumor in the webworld ... but i kindof feel that it's gonna come one day ..

so here it is

LockSign in to reply to this thread