Blogger vs Wordpress

Aditya Jha
Aditya Jha
from New Delhi, India
9 years ago

I know this debate has been going on for insanely long and there's no end to it, they both have their pros and cons but for someone like me whose been blogging on blogger for 2-3 years now, I cannot help but think - is wordpress a better idea? 

For me personally wordpress sounds a little too confusing. The free domain vs premium domain thing just doesn't sound fair considering that in blogger there's no such thing as premium. 

In wordpress you only have a few free themes unless you go premium which costs $99 per year - which I being a young writer cannot afford. Further, the in built SEO tools (again for premium users, correct me if I'm wrong) is an added benefit if you're willing to pay the price for it i.e. $99. 

Does any one of you has a better idea of which one of the 2 is better and how? Also, I was reading through a blog post recently and it mentioned SEO techniques for blogger users, could someone please enlighten me on this? Currently on an average I get only 1000 followers per month and the blog I mention gets 5000 views on individual posts. I'll appreciate some SEO tips. :)

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
HR
HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Blogspot is the best for the beginner (blogger) and Wordpress premium is for professional one who can manage the expenses as per their requirement of the blog designing and hosting etc.

Blogspot post hardly get natural traffic (but referral) whereas Wordpress 'with own domain name associated' get reasonable traffic or higher traffic based on quality and rich contents. This is what I heard from the expert too.

Lot's of misinformation:

I've used both. I'm now only on Wordpress.(.org and .com both).

I don't know how you can say WP only has a "few free themes". Have you looked for yourself before making that comment? WP themes are richer than Blogger themes, too, IMO.

Just because Blogger does not have a Premium option does not make WP Premium unfair. Different business model.

SEO: WP.COM has auto xml sitemaps as far as I know.

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

You can buy a domain name from within blogger for $10 per year. Also, Blogger has some wonderful themes: have a look at my site - solarwindhydroenergy.com . Can you believe that is a blog hosted in Blogger with a free custom theme? 

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Also, SEO is the same for both blogger and WP, it doesn't change much wrt platform. Besides, Blogger is google product, so don't worry about SEO! Just focus on creating useful and engaging content - that's the best and only SEO. 

WP is a great tool if you want to expand the functionality of your blog with infinite plugins. That will be required only for professional bloggers, and most of them can be done with Blogger also with a little more effort. 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

For me personally wordpress sounds a little too confusing. The free domain vs premium domain thing just doesn't sound fair considering that in blogger there's no such thing as premium. 

Looks like you are talking about wordpress.com and not wordpress.org. While people may argue about whether Blogger or Wordpress.org is better, almost everyone (except a few) would accept that blogger is better than wordpress.com. 

And there is the equivalent of free vs premium domain in blogger also. (subdomain and custom domain) The only difference being that you need to pay not just for the domain name but also something more in wp.com

Does any one of you has a better idea of which one of the 2 is better and how?

Blogger.com is much much better than wp.com and wp.org is better than blogger in some aspects.

almost everyone (except a few) would accept that blogger is better than wordpress.com.

Really??? That's a sweeping statement. Define better, first. Then define marriage... :)

If you want to just blog, then chose the platform ghost Sealed as self hosted of tumblr Wink

Want to do a business, like earning from websites, then better be ready to invest something Tongue out

and there paid themes of WordPress makes sense..

My point is, if you want to blog, anything, which offers basic layout, which is easy to access and read would be good enough Innocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Ghost! Surprised Hearing it for the first time Innocent

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

There is a first time for everything in our life..

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Innocent

Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Wow, should check out this 'Ghost' :)

there is also Medium.

Dr Sweety Shinde
Dr Sweety Shinde
from Mumbai
9 years ago

There is a difference between 'views' and 'followers'. Views = hits (or folks who visited your bog for a glance, but may not necessarily want to come back), while 'Followers' are usually repeat guests to your blog posts and blog.

http://sweetyshinde.wordpress.com

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Signing your forum posts with your blog link is not allowed.

LockSign in to reply to this thread