which platform is better for blogging?

Pooja Gupta
Pooja Gupta
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Therr are many platforms out there. Prominent ones being wordpress.com, blogger.com and wordpress.org installation on own site.

If running a site as something dot com and not something.blogspot dot com or WordPress dot com, which one you find better in terms of:-

Cost effective

Theme optimisation possibilities

Customisation

Other Restrictions

Please share your views

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
Pooja Gupta
Pooja Gupta
from Mumbai
9 years ago

FOr my site, I have been using godaddy WordPress hosting and domain registration.

To first year cost has been 99 per month and thereafter 400 per month for both hosting and domain

I have used a free theme and customised it and found WordPress installation cheaper than blogspot or WordPress when running blog on self owned domain.

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

There has already been lots of discussion on this topic on this forum. Please search the forum for these. It's useless discussing the same things again and again.

Jay Neog
Jay Neog
from Golaghat
9 years ago

For a domain purchase on wordpress.com it cost $18 per year. But then hosting is free. 

And on blogger too, hosting is free and if you need a custom domain you can get it from godaddy at ₹99 for the first year. 

In a long run you have to the pay the same everywhere for a domain, its the hosting cost that differs. 

A self-hosted one provides the best customization options but then there are little problems in there too. You will need to take care of the security of the blog, also if your traffic increases a lot your current godaddy server might not be able to take the load and you will need to upgrade to a higher hosting plan. 

There are pros and cons in every platform. In the end its a personal choice. 

I currently blog at wordpress.com

Pooja Gupta
Pooja Gupta
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Its true that Godaddy comes hosting and domain comes around 4800 (76 $) per year compared to 18 $ on wordpress for domain. Are there considerable advantages to outweigh the cost. What are the opinions of bloggers using wordpress installation for their site.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Godaddy comes hosting and domain comes around 4800 (76 $) per year compared to 18 $ on wordpress for domain. 

Both are different! The first one is wordpress.org while the second one is wp.com. You can't use external themes, plugins on wp.com

Shashwath Acharya
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Big thing : you can't monetize your site on wordpress.com

I recommend you to register a domain and use self hosted wordpress blog.

Pooja Gupta
Pooja Gupta
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I am using godaddy WordPress hosting only since I started my blog..the first year cost was 99 per month now it is 400 per month.. I want to know if the advantages outweigh the cost

Shashwath Acharya
from Mumbai
9 years ago

400/mo is costly, there are other good hosts. Move from godaddy.

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I like blogger for ease of using but WP self hosted blogs give lot of returns both monetary and viewership

Salman Ravoof
Salman Ravoof
from Bangalore
9 years ago

That's too costly for a unreliable host like GoDaddy. Keep your domain with them, but move to other hosting providers. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread