Negative book reviews

Amita
Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
I am in a situation. An author contacted me for review and I posted an honest review. Well as expected, the author is now disappointed and requests me to take it down!!! What should I do? I know I sound like a kid asking his mom to Leo, but then I am a starter...
Edited 9 years ago
Reason: Category update
Replies 1 to 15 of 15 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

As a reviewer, I wouldn't take it down. Rather I follow a policy that if a company says to take it down, I post that they've asked me to take it down, but I won't take it down. But then, mine are product reviews and they usually have a set of testing procedures, etc. But I come from a family that owns a small bookstore in Bandra. Suffice to say, I wouldn't like to keep a horrible book in stock because no1 will buy it and it would just lie around. We used to display books in press conferences back in the 80s but now-a-days we don't because unknown authors have an annoying attitude as if we're their servants. Not all, but there were few cases. Eventually, distributors and certain branded book franchise stores started doing it in their own stores, in a controlled environment. 

Movies, books, etc. are different but I am sure all reviewers have a certain benchmark that a movie/book is supposed to meet on a personal level, even if its subjective opinion. Unless a book or movie is really that bad, it depends on the taste of the person. Whoever searches for book/movie reviews know this very well. They're not dumb. But in any case, asking it to take it down is wrong. When you have a fan following and you have been reviewing things for a long time- people tend to relate themselves with your likes and dislikes. Those who do- at least on most part if not all- will still read your reviews. Contrary to the popular belief, reviewers are never a marketing tool. They become a marketing tool if one doctors a review, does not post reviews of stuff that are not good- and takes down a review because someone didn't like it. In my case, I don't care a damn if a brand decides not to be in touch with me. But I would post the facts that even though I was requested to take it down, I will not. I know we're in a different field of reviewing, but from one reviewer to another- you must not degrade the respect and credibility that a reviewer holds by taking down that review- even if the distributor/author decides to blacklists you. That simply means that they do not respect you, your opinions and your loyal fanbase. Ask him to point what problem he has, and if he has an opinion, add that opinion in the end of the article. Let people know that. If they agree to what the author said- fair enough. They have a choice to either buy the book or not based on the opinion put up by you and the author. At least you gave him the platform to say why he felt that the review was "wrong"- ultimately, people will judge it. But if he doesn't like the entire thing and wants you to take it down anyway- don't. 

Also, can you change this to blogging ethics. This is more suited over there and should be on the indiforum main section. 

Amita
Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
I agree with you... My bad luck it was my first on request review and I did not like the book... More ideas on how to respond would definitely help me
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

No bad luck. If you believe what you did was right, it was right. 

Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I think your blog's value comes first to you then the author's value. 

Deepika
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Its your review, your words, your blog and your expression. As a writer, you have the rights to voice out your views.. and as an author she should be think-skinned and be prepared for any reviews.... 

Parichita
Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I review books, and I never take my review down. Whoever the author may be. The best I can do is remove any backlinks to the author's site or any group associated with it. But once a book is in my hand, it is my choice and my blog. The author is being too high-handed. 

Shubham Agarwal
Shubham Agarwal
from Ajmer
9 years ago

I have been both a published author and a book reviewer, so I think I am qualified to reply. As a reviewer, it is quite natural that you'll like one book and not like the other. And a negative review makes sense since you gave that a precious few hours of yours to feel disappointed in the end. But at the same time, a review is something that will show up everytime someone searches for the book and compared to your few hours, the author had put maybe a few months in that book. So in my view, even a negative review should also focus on the good points of the book. Specially if the author sent you the book himself, you can imagine it would have costed him some money. If the review is your own i.e., not because the author asked you to put it, that does give you all the right to be as critical as you want, but again, a bit of a pros and cons type review is always preferred. 

There will be times when you absolutely hated the book and can't find even a single good point. I'd say go for it only if you bought the book yourself. If the author had sent it, it is always better to discuss it with him before publishing it. It is not binding on you to take the review down, but you need to think from the author's perspective too and to me, it does sound a better option to talk first.

Completely agreed with the opinion above "Ask him to point what problem he has, and if he has an opinion, add that opinion in the end of the article. Let people know that. If they agree to what the author said- fair enough."

To end it, I've had experiences where I was asked to take a review down. Except one time, I didn't. I did change the language a bit without changing the crux of the review though.  I was lucky enough not to have received a very bad review for my own book. But one time I did get a call from a reviewer who told me that his review wasn't good and if he should post it or not. I told him to go for it, but I loved the fact he cared to contact me first.

Shubham, how does it matter whether the reviewer has bought the book or not, when the review is focussed on discussing merits and demerits of the book? They don't change, at least not in the mind of the reviewer.

Parichita
Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I read the review and you've focussed on both good and bad points. Also, I don't think three stars doesn't constitute a bad review. 

You spent time reading the book, and writing the review and you should be the first one to respect your time. Tell him that you won't take it down, and also ask him which particular lines he had a problem with in your review. I read your review, and I felt it was decent enough, at least it won't ward off any prospective buyers. Tell him why you felt so, who knows, it might even make him a better writer, one who may impress you the next time around

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Negative reviews are important for an author to learn and improve his/her craft. The author should feel greatful that he got a frank review. Btw, I can send you my book, can you give me a (predominantly) negative review too? ***Serious*** :)

Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
Haha.... Well, I dont't mind any free books untill they fall into ones I read - fiction mainly
Amita
Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
Thank you everyone for the replies... They raised my confidence:)
Vaishnavie K
Vaishnavie K
from Chennai
9 years ago

You shouldn't take it down. If the author hadn't wanted a frank review, the book shouldn't have been sent for review at all! The author must be open for both good and bad reviews to make him or her a  better writer.

Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
Agreed.... Plus I myself hate to write bad about any writer as I truly respect anything he/she writes.... It takes an effort.... But then one cannot expect everyone to like it
Amita
Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago
This grants me a lesson learned to post some basic terms and conditions of the reviews I post...
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Also, when the author communicates with you in the mail, just ask if the author will be comfortable with frank (and if need be, negative) reviews.  

Kalpana
Kalpana
from New Delhi
9 years ago

Don't take the review down. It's your blog and your opinion which it's important to stick by. You've mentioned both good and bad points which points to a balanced review. I was asked to review a book that was dreadful. It made me angry just to have to read it - terrible grammar, arbitrary plotting, no noble thoughts or fresh insights - it was as though the writer had simply vomited her thoughts onto the page and self published. After much deliberation I decided not to write anything at all, rather than devastate someone. But that's only because I couldn't find ONE positive thing to say. 

Did you not like a single word in the book. It is simply your call. My opinion would be why hurt a poor author. He must have given his best but failed to impress a sharp mind. Now, one way out should be to simply take it down and let him be on his/her clouds. I do not see any reason one should hammer budding authors. If he inquires opinion then if you are capable advise by email or phone etc. you can tell that writer to contact me. I hope i would be able to lift his spirits up a little at least.
Btw my time costs a lot though, only free for indiblogger, and some nutty companies who show a lollipop of some 1k and get my golden words then retract it and I get only thenga. But still, life goes on....,,
Amita
Amita
from New Delhi
9 years ago

Yeah... i did not want to hurt the guy... but then ofcourse i hadinvested my few hours reading that and reviews are meant to be both appraising and critical...

I myself am soft hearted and always try to jot down atleast few good points..

Anyways, i haved informed him polietly that deleting the post would not be possible for me. I also asked him if there were any sections which he wanted to be rephrased or removed specifically.

Thankfully, he turned out a bit supportive in the end and said that was OK.. :)Cool

That's great. He is lucky he didn't ask Arvind Passey. He wouldn't have been as considerate as you.
Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Don't you worry about that author... if his/her writing is crappy, it needs to be labelled as one.

I've had quite a many of them FIGHT with me on facebook and elsewhere.... when my review of their book/s wasn't as flattering as they presumed it would be, but tended to reveal all the inconsistencies and the flaws. 

Please do NOT be afraid of these aggressive dolts who fancy themselves as authors... go ahead and be as critical as you want in your reviews. Another point... dont get awed by middlemen and agents contacting you to tell you that you need to be a 'responsible' blogger and reviewer. Ask such people and organisations to back off... 

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
9 years ago

Unfotunately there is a lot of bad writing coming out these days in the publishing world.  Many a time the final version we see is the result of hard work done by a diligent editor in ironing out the flaws.  You as a reviewer should not budge from your analysis of the book, there is no point in trying to find a few good points if the book stinks.  Maybe you could have emailed the author and said my book review will not be favourable do you still want me to do it.  But then you are compromising your identity as reviewer if you do only sugar coated reviews.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

No. That's wrong. When anyone gives a product/service/book/experience, etc.- by default (and it goes without saying) they are accepting the analysis by the person at the end of the day. Reviewers are not PR stunt providers or advertisers. They're not giving it to a random person on the internet. There is a certain number and quality of reader base a reviewer holds and they give a product/service/book/experience, etc. They're giving a product/service/book/experience, etc. to a recognizable name- a brand- either it's the author or the site. Whether it's big or small entity, it has the power to influence a certain type and quality of people- even if they give books to a LOT of people. They will accept that. They will have to accept that. The only situation that they have the choice is this:

• They can either revise the content and then the same reviewer can write a review redux

or

• Not agree with what they said but accept it and concentrate on the one that appeals them the most.

Assuming the review points out facts, it's ultimately the loss of the author or the publication if he/she doesn't acknowledge. Would he rather prefer of gaining a bad reputation from individuals who purchased it with money? Or would he prefer reviewers pointing out the facts, therefore preventing people to get that same feeling the hard way which would make a bad and an irreparable reputation to his name. With the latter, he has the chance to re-correct the mistakes with a newer revision and re-introduce the books. The same happens with products. I don't see how it wouldn't happen with books, services, etc. 

Hopefully the author will get an editor who will correct his/her mistakes and help to give a direction to his project. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread