India's Daughter (BBC Doc) - Banned in India, what is your opinion ??

I am sure by now you all are aware of the controversy what BBC's documentary named India's Daughter has sparked.

It's banned by our government. But did you still defy the ban and watched it ?? What is your opinion ?

I have and I am speechless, sad, angry and feeling hopeless about the entire event, even after 2 years and being on Death Sentence (The doc has interview of the people who committed the crime) their mindset, their outlook towards the entire event.

I am so horrified that they are no special people, they are not from remote corner of the country, this mindset what they have is coming from our national capital and from people who interact with us thousands of time in our daily life.

I am shocked and honestly I am scared as we don't have any answer to their arrogance, their cold, dark and evil outlook towards the crime and the entire subject !!

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: N/A
Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

This documentary and the statements of Mukesh is scripted and it is evident from the way he is saying things. He was asked to say those things as he might be told that it would lessen his punishment. Those who have viewed the documentary intently would have noticed it. I have collated some comments from different social media those clearly show that the documentary was scripted.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

lul? 

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Possible.. But words which they spoke here is very similar to what these guys kept repeating in case hearing time also..

Saw it last night and it left me seething. More than Mukesh Singh's matter-of-fact view of the incident, I was digusted by the arrogant lawyers. Yell

Somebody hang them all please. 

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

They presented their views, we may not agree but they are right on one fact, expressing views are not crime.. Boycott them, criticize them but for expressing view, I am sure we are not such intolerant to hung them.. Are you ??

Ragini Puri
from New Delhi/Ludhiana
9 years ago

Hunky, you talk of intolerance...really? The present hopeless scenario is a result of tolerance in fact. Had the society and judicial system been even a wee bit intolerant in the past and set a precedent by making some hard judgements, the situation would not have been so out of control, like they are now. 

And the defence lawyers! Reflect for a minute about their audacious comments about womenfolk -  calling them meat for the dogs on prowl, using such terms as food, gems & diamond that everyone would want to loot, flowers that everyone wants to trample! I mean WHAT! These are so-called educated professionals and look at the venom they are spewing! And the icing on the cake - Indian culture has no place for women!

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

I can only hope, even with such dark hours, we can still stand by the words of our founding fathers, "An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind"..

We have a functional constitution and we must be proud of that. People will be punished but punishment is given with degree of crime commited.. For expressing their views, yes as per our law, certain sentences are iligal, they don;t deserve as harsh as hanging !!

Mind you, if news is anything to go by, http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bar-council-meets-today-on-lawyers-comments-in-nirbhaya-documentary-744653?utm_source=ndtv&utm_medium=top-stories-widget&utm_campaign=story-3-http%3a%2f%2fwww.ndtv.com%2findia-news%2fbar-council-meets-today-on-lawyers-comments-in-nirbhaya-documentary-744653

They are on their way to face punishment !!

I did not watch it, and I'm not sure I would watch it ever. I don't support ban of anything

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

Watch it...there is nothing worse than hearing arnab goswami...Tongue out

Our politicians have far worse mentality that the rapist Innocent

I get depressed and scary...so dont want to watch it at least for the next couple of months...have a ;ot already on my plate 

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

I understand it's really depressing and thought provoking. 

Ragini Puri
from New Delhi/Ludhiana
9 years ago

It's depressing, yes. I cried at her mother's tearful and heart wrenching sign-off saying - hum uske liye kuch nahi kar paayeCry Cry

The bigger concern is the new censor board, listing words that should not be used in movies as well. Atrocious. We can only regress with thihes kind of men at the helm

Shameem Rizwana
Shameem Rizwana
from Chennai
9 years ago

I saw it too and I have never felt more hopeless before. They don't even show a bit of remorse.Yell They say it was done to teach a lesson and that the girl should co-operate when raped. !! It's basic human instinct to close the eyes when the wind blows too hard. He asks the woman to ALLOW IT when being raped. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? And those Lawyers, damn. If they are the one's who deal with the law and order of our country, no wonder we are so screwed up!! Disgusted. 

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

The documentary brings to ight what these men actually think and lets your compare the mentailty with the people around you...most of politicians have said far worse things in record...Innocent

Roji Abraham
Roji Abraham
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I watched the documentary and wrote my blog on this https://sixstringsforsupper.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/indias-daughter-revisiting-a-story-told-many-times-before/ 

The lack of remorse comes probably from the fact that they had already justified this act in their minds. They simply fail to get what is the big crime they did when so many others get away with it.  The voice of the rapist is an indirect reflection of a greater social problem. 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

arey baba. time and a place. With such a sensitive topic and you're promoting your blog with a link? A bad impression is made at the cost of 0 pageview, at least from my end. 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Sorc Sharing relevant links is allowed. :-/

TechChumz
from Bangalore
9 years ago

in my humble opinion, roji comes across to me as someone concerned about human safety and not a link promoter when he writes this. and i agree this link is relevant

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

That juvenile will be out by December 2015, according to the messages put up in the end. Boy, we human don't anything, do we? 

Those lawyers are sickening. The second guy is clearly dangerous. I believe there was some talk show with him yesterday in NDTV, where he probably said shut up to the audience? 

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

17 years and some 100 odd days was his age at the time of the crime.. wow, few months later in his age, he would have been hanged and just because a certificate reads 17 years and 100 odd days (we all know, here in India, from cricketers to student, reduce their age a lot to take advantage in exam or playing field), he is allowed to roam free..

TechChumz
from Bangalore
9 years ago

thanks hunky, you are so right. in fact, if i recall, the court prevented a bone ossification test from being carried out on this boy. since the test has a maximum error of two years, had the boy tested 21, he would have been proved as at least 19. in addition, in villages, sometimes illiterate parents do not even rememeber the child's birth date and often innocently reduce or increase a child's age. in fact, when i visited a village as a child, i was surprised to note 22 year olds being passed off as 16 Tongue out. i have also seen children increase their age to 18 to get paid to vote. 

while i can understand the court protecting a minor, i cannot understand their refusing to test if at all he is eligible for that protection. 

TechChumz
from Bangalore
9 years ago
Tanishq
Tanishq
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I didn't have the heart to watch it lest, it would break me once again.

Gaurab
Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

Watched it...Condemn the ban...that's a straight attack on freedom of speech. Innocent

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
9 years ago

Don't have the heart to watch it, but I do not support the ban either

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I haven't watched this particular documentary, and do not intend to watch it too. The reason is not the ban initiated by the Indian Govt. and the Delhi High court. The reason is much deeper than these face saving tactics of the government. The reason is, I can't face my failure to confront two school kids who were doing indecent acts in front of a woman in a car, while I was behind these two on my bike, and chose to ignore these, as that woman did. Two of these, if unchecked, might grow on to become the culprits in future. The question shouldn't be why the world shouldn't watch the documentary or why is there a ban on freedom of expression of speech. The question is why the country's judicial system and law becomes so toothless that crimes like these go down the memory lanes and criminals, most of the times, go scot free, like the so called "minor" who had the guts to rape a girl, inflict injuries and still his lawyer went on to save him from the death sentence, even after committing such a hienous crime. It's time the judicial system of the country called India be rethought of, as per the requirements of the modern times, and teeth be given to the law to consider crimes and criminals as per the current situation and not as per the rules and laws written a century and a half ago.

The root of this all lies in the "sanskaar" we Indians boast of. See the sanskaar a number of us have that we go out and commit crimes like these. The education system too is to be blamed. So is the part played by the parents. As a parent, it's one's responsibility to make his or her child a good human being. If your child can respect the people and even animals around you, you can assume you were successful in raising up your child as a good human being. But any such incident that puts up a bloat on the entire society tarnishes everything, and we become the culprits, the ones responsible for these crimes in the society.

But then, what would one do for the insensitive approach of the Judicial system, Police and other such people associated with the law of the lands? I expressed this a couple of years ago, and would like to express this, here too, since the time and the topic is just right. You can catch and bring to justice the criminal, but what would you do to the insensitive people who are supposed to impart you justice? A number of stories published over years will give you a clear indication of the clear apathy the judicial people have towards the victims, and not to say, the attitude of the common people, you, me, the neighbours, the relatives and the society, not in it's enterity though, but a considerable chunk of it, towards the victim, and the our speculations that might have led to the turn of events.

The same reflects in the statements of this gentleman who did this hienous crime, and then claims that the girl asked for it by roaming around on the streets of country's capital, the largest democracy of the world, the second largest country in terms of population, one whose head of state was a woman herself, and still this happened. Did he think that the girl had no business roaming around with a male friend after 9 in the night? Does this mean that after night the streets of Delhi become a lawless forest and people like him, become feiry predators who roam around in this jungle of a city in search of prey and have the right to do whatever they want and prey should not resist their acts as it's their jungle?

The deeply infested patriarchal mindset is partly to be blamed. Not because it's bad, but because it, at some instance makes people feel that being men, they can do whatever they want and that women are their slaves, and should not resist being supressed. The mentality of such men is clearly sick for thinking this. But the way justice is met in our country, this mentality is no easy a task to get rid of. Why, because being men we can do anything without the fear of law. A woman we try to supress should stay silent, no matter which way we violate their body or tarnish their emotions.

Agreed that women are to be blamed partly because in a majority of these cases, the accused was known to the victim, in one way or the other, but, isn't it a man's responsibility to act sensitively and responsibly for a woman who places her faith in this devil of a man who would pounce upon her at the next possible chance?

I came through a series of articles, you can call these interviews (as these are claimed to be), of rape victims, and people who were part of the judicial system, the way they handle the crime and the victim, which, in itself leaves a lifelong scar on the victim who goes to them in search of justice. I don't recall the actual titles so as to search and give the links here, but some searches seem to have given me some fruitful results. Here are some:

1. http://www.tehelka.com/the-anatomy-of-a-rape/

2. http://www.tehelka.com/you-have-to-live-with-your-violated-body-you-have-to-live-with-the-memory-of-what-was-done-to-you/?singlepage=1

These articles present to us the sorry state of affairs for the rape victims in this country. Now think again. Aren't WE the culprits? How do we save our faces and turn down the responsibility we share in forming the society as it is.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

Conclusion is still missing.. What do we do ??

Yes we want them to be hanged, but we really still don't have any answer to their arrogance.. From the beginning, the constitution of India is on belief of rectifying the criminals, but here, even on death row, their mentality reflects no guilt.. That is the most terrifying thing to me, as really are they alone, isolated ?? Rather it seems they are reflecting the views of many out there Frown

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

The conclusion? Well, there's none. You can go out blaming everything and everyone, but there is something each one of us are doing to let this happen. And our constitution might have a provision for corrective reforms of criminals, the current IPC and the way the criminal justice system is implemented, you can't take out the crime out of the criminals, and this is bound to happen.

While we had no lawyer who came forward to take on Kasab's case, lawyers came forward in this case to take on the fight to see through these men out of the jail, even after the crime and the criminals were clearly established. Frown The lawyers need to take a stand, and their self consciousness has to take a stand, that could look beyond money they will get taking up such cases.

Tanishq
Tanishq
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I request everyone to read Marge Piercy's Breaking Out once. It is a poem, if you can't comprehend it, you will get its summary online.

Tanishq
from Mumbai
9 years ago

It is somewhat related to this.

By the way,

Does any one know (with source link please) the official reason behind GOV and Delhi High Court's decision to ban the doc ?? I mean why is it banned ?? What is their version behind banning this ?? Curious to know !!

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

They say it insults the victim. Can't give you an official source though. A quick search for it might give you some helphul links.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
9 years ago

cant find any good links to read the actual reasons stated by gov for banning the film..

I watched it too. Really i am lacking words for those lawyers. If there was a law for derogatory statements at least in public, these people most certainly required a lesson to be taught. The parent's words made me cry. But the offender's lack of remorse and statements, shook me. I actually felt very helpless. These people definitely dont deserve a platform to voice their blather. very sad and insulting.......

LockSign in to reply to this thread