Freelance Writing

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

On a very serious note, I want to know how many of you do freelance writing and how much do you charge ?

Do you find clients or clients find you ?

Also, can anyone make it a full time job ?

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: Changed category
Replies 1 to 18 of 18 Descending

correct answer: It depends. I don't do freelance writing. But I am a consultant and my charges are based on market rates based on which part and how much of my brain they want.

So far clients have found me....

Yes, you can make it a full time job. You can make anything a full time job.

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Ritika there are plenty of options available for free lancing and yes many make it a full time job. Content creators are very much in demand. However you have to be in the right place for finding clients and clients finding you. 

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

In other news, I applied for some freelance jobs an hour ago and just got one :D

where and how did you apply?

Heta
Heta
from Mumbai
9 years ago
Please let me know some details too. Even I am interested for freelancing jobs. Where should I apply? Our the sites trusted where we disclose our details?
Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Check out https://www.freelancer.com/ 

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I just made a new resume for the position of a freelance writer, mentioned my blog in the resume and applied on the various vacancies on naukri.

Some of them were paying as less as 500rs per 3000 words but some of them were very well paying

The company that contacted me is paying a little more than my current job and wants me to take up the position as a Content Writer permanantly. I don't know yet, I have an interview tomorrow.

Wish me luck !!!!

May be I can finally leave the IT industry behind :)

Good luck leaving the it industry
Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

You made a resume and in one shot got an offer to join the company?

You must be extremely talented.

Dipanwita Chakraborty
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Good luck Ritika. 

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I dnt think I am talented :|

And they haven't offered me the job yet, I am yet to have an interview. I just meant to tell everyone that there are a lot of freelance writing jobs available if anyone is interested :)

Heta
Heta
from Mumbai
9 years ago
How are the interview process? We have to visit their office or just through a call? And thanks ranjith for the site. Will try today. And Ritika are there any other sites where you have applied?
Amit Pattnaik
from New Delhi
9 years ago

@Heta, you may go through these sites too - iwriter.com, odesk.com and elance.com Smile

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

The interview process depends on the company I think..

I have heard from two companies till now - one asked me to come to their office for an interview while the other gave me a sample topic to write about

I just applied on naukri, thats it.. Didnt even think I would heard back from anyone

I think I might create a new profile myself on naukri to run away from IT :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

nsv Run into civil eng related job Foot in mouth

I dont know anything about Civil Engg.

Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

NSV, IT is better.  Let the changes happen before giving up on IT. :P

Yea Pari. I know IT is better. It's just some wishful thinking #Kaash

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
9 years ago

The best thing that you can do is that you can do part time freelance writing and at the same time blogging. The another option you have is that you can start working full time for a company. Do whatever you want to. Don't listen to others as your opinion should matter the most to you.

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Now i am super confused.. Its not even been 24 hours and i already got 4 calls for interview

This can't be that simple :| Somebody help!!! 

You should be super happy, why are you concerned? Tongue out

Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Ritika, give the interviews first, and just remember one golden rule: Anyone who asks you to pay first is wasting your time. 

(I am not a freelancer, but this golden advice was given to me by one of my well-wisher ages ago!)

Shalini Digvijay
Shalini Digvijay
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I also want a freelance content writers jobMoney mouth

me too..

+1

Vishal Verma
Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
9 years ago

if anyone is interested in writing an editorial for a news website can drop me a mail at contact @ thetimesofworld .com or indimail.. Pay is not that much approx 0.25-0.32inr /word. Only Editorials on any topic of your choice.. Or you can guest post on same website. 

DS
DS
from Mumbai
9 years ago
What happened at the interview?
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

It was okay, they wanted to offer a permanant position and I wanted a freelance position :/

DS
from Mumbai
9 years ago
What were they paying? What did they ask you at the interview? Any terms and conditions? Come on, you started this thread, now tell us the full story!!
Parichita
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Ritika, was the salary better than the current job?

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

They asked about my experience in content writing and also about SEO. 

And what were my thoughts about advertising online and how could it be turned useful

Salary was exactly the same as my current job but they had location constraints. I wanted to work from home and in a flexible way but they wanted me to take up a 9-5 job

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

What's the salary they are offering...atleast give some rough figure...info on this thread will be useful to many writers. Smile

Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

They were offering about 4lacs p.a. which I guess is good for a new content writer but I just didn't want to do a normal office job :(

Dr. Lawrence Kindo
Dr. Lawrence Kindo
from Shillong
9 years ago

Hi Guys,

It's been a while for me at IndiBlogger. Good to be back again!

The concept of freelancing is surely a quirky one in the beginning. I started freelancing sometime in the year 2009 and fared pretty well, but my job as a practising doctor was eating up most of my valuable time. My charges are variable but they range from anywhere from 5 USD - 55 USD per 500 words depending on the depth of research required and the website through which I provide my services. Of course, I focus mostly on health-based articles, but I do write any type of article.

Here are some of the websites that I have worked through:

• Elance.com - now in partnership with oDesk is one of the best platforms for a freelancer. The workplace within is great. One niggle I have with it is the bidding process that requires lots of patience. I usually bid for numerous projects at the same time. One or the other clicks! If you are starting out, just go for any rate around $5-10 per article or 500 words. Anything less than that would be too much work. You will find thousands of SEO companies on Elance that are willing to pay $0.50-1.00 per article of 500 words and make you permanent content provider for them. I have earned more than $3000 at Elance.com over a period of 6 months in the past. Due to the demands of my regular job, I have put on hold any new projects on Elance at the moment.
  • Fiverr.com - Don't get fooled by the $5 tag attached to this website. I write 300 words for $5, 600 words for $10 and so on! My average selling price is $10 as of now. You get $4 out of each $5 you earn on Fiverr.com. Those starting out can try it. Once you get a couple of orders, you are well on your way to multiple orders and requests. There is also the possibility of custom quotes for those who request your services. Don't hesitate. Get your hands dirty and it will pay you! Fiverr has given me enough to pay for my new MacBook Air and a little more! Currently working on a 1500 words article for a website for $30. Of course, Fiverr will pay me only $24!Frown If you work regularly on Fiverr, it can pay you anywhere from $100 - $1000 per month with much less effort than that you put into a regular job. But remember, 5 star reviews are a must to keep you in the good books of Fiverr to promote your services.
  • Running your own blog - You can always use your blog to promote your services. Sponsored posts are a great way to earn a bit of extra cash if your blog is somewhat popular. Takes time and effort!

I hope this helps you guys. I am sure if you try hard enough you can survive only through freelancing. Wishing you all the best!

Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Lawrence, have you linked your paypal account to Fiverr ? I am always scared of these websites asking about my paypal account :(

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Ritika They only ask your email address and nothing else, right? :s

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

When I checked freelance.com and odesk.. they were all asking for paypal details :(

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

freelance and odesk are highly popular sites. You can share details with them without worrying much. After all, to receive payment, they do require details of your paypal account. ;)

Ritika
Ritika
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I know..but the reviews I saw online of these websites were pretty bad :(

have you used them ?

Sweety Pateliya
Sweety Pateliya
from Nagpur
9 years ago
Ritika I have linked my bank account to odesk and my payments get transferred directly to my account. Some fee is charged ofcorse but it makes things simple. Giving out PayPal details is not risky unless you give them your personal acc info ofcorse;)

LockSign in to reply to this thread