Locked Calling for Submissions | by PepperScript

keenjal patel
keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago
About the Project PepperScript Publishing with Perspective lets all you budding authors to go crazy with your imagination and stand the chance to be published in an anthology! Here’s how: 1. Write a story of any genre centered on Ruby – a 25 year old woman who’s beautiful and a bit of a mystery. 2. Submit your story by participating in the project and make sure you maintain a word limit of 2500 words. 3. Selected applicants will receive a mail from us stating that you’ve been shortlisted to get published in our Anthology. Then, pay the submission fee of Rs. 2,000 and allow us to fine-tune your story a little. 4. Lastly, you wait for your complimentary copy of Anthology Unmasked and spread a word among your friends and family! Ruby’s Character Sketch: Ruby, protagonist of the story, is a 25 years old woman with a fair and clear complexion, honey colored eyes, brown wavy locks and a clearly defined jaw line. She is a confident and composed woman and loves exploring every facet of life. Visit www.pepperscript.com or https://pepperscripting.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/is-your-protagonist-a-hero-of-your-story/
Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
Snazzyawi
Snazzyawi
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Why to pay fees ???

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Budding or unpublished authors would probably end up investing more than this, yet may not be empowered by a chance like this. A chance to help building a product (Anthology Unmasked) which gives them a chance to share their perspective toward a woman with the world. The money involved will be used for creating more such opportunities and promote the participating authors. 

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Is this allowed? The OP seems to create business (generate money) for him/her.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

The business is to create more such opportunities where in the authors do not have to spend a penny to get published. Project Unmasked is an innitiative taken by a young start up. Instead of thinking whats allowed and whats not I think its time we, the young minds must think more creatively and not let the monetization tamper the same :)

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

But, the very idea behind your argument of giving authors freedom to get published without spending a paisa isn't working in this initial call for collaboration. Does it? And the question of what's allowed and what's not is because of the very nature of the place where you have put up your idea. We as members, do have the right to raise our concerns, and then there are guidelines which govern each member's activity on the forum. I wasn't aware of one of the guideline/rule that's why I asked if this is allowed.

There are hundreds of conning businesses running throughout the length and breadth of the world, so one has to take steps after serious considerations and checkups. I believe that if you are a genuine business you would be understanding enough and won't mind the concerns when someone asks you to pay up for something that's virtually non-existant.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Yes we do understand the concerns and are open to all the queries that the writers have. However, am sure anyone with good intentions and honest work culture wouldnt like being questioned 'If this is allowed'. I hope you understand what I am trying to convey, its more like asking someone, are you allowed to cheat? As far as conning businesses is concerned, please feel free to scrunitize the website and social media handles before jumping to the conclusions :)

Kalpana
Kalpana
from New Delhi
8 years ago

It's nver a good idea to pay to get your work published.

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Yes. If one is promoting young authors, why not do it as a collaborative work, where everyone could submit their work free of cost, instead of asking them to cough up money

for creating more such opportunities and promote the participating authors.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Your point is justified. But not every good writer is lucky enough to get published by big names in the publishing industry. There has to be a shift of purpose and service, someday! With this innitiative we intend to bring to the front those writers who are living in the corners of the internet with a few readers.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

@CyberKID to promote young authors (who submit their work for free, as u say) the publishers need to spend money for that too. Hope you understand the publishing business and the work culture. If some ask for a participation fee, others demand for a mandatory purchase of the book. Now, that we believe is making money.. publishing all the work worth it or not. Here, we are at least approching only the one's who deserve being published and not every one who submits. There's a difference of opinion, respect our idea and initiative :)

Parichita
from Mumbai
8 years ago

The money you are asking is supposed to come from the sales. There are thousands of anthologies released daily and  half of them are not even known. You want writers to give you their story, to pay for the story, and then to spread the word as well, which makes me wonder, what are you going to do? Enjoy what you get from the sales of the book and from the money generated via multiple submissions?

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

@Parichita I think its best if you self-publish your work (If you want to get published) :) People like you dont need publishers to reach out to people. Good Luck!

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

This is not exactly what people like Parichita or people like me need to do. We have our apprehensions, and we are putting those in front for discussion. Instead of pointing what people like us should do you should bother about what you should do to make people like us believe in your "initiative". The harsher your responses become, the more alienated you will be from those who'd like to go your way.

And anyways, if yours is a startup, you should have invested money in getting people published, and then should have tried to find ways to get back your investment and earn profits with the help of contracts with the authors whose stories you are publishing, and when they get published and start getting incomes, I don't think they will have any problem paying you up for the efforts you and your startup made in getting them published. But before anything like that, where the "Anthology is VIRTUALLY NON-EXISTENT", it'll be foolishness to pay up to someone whom you don't know.

And being a member of this forum, my question still remains intact - IS THIS ALLOWED? I am seeking response from IndiPolice or IndiTeam, whoever is available to respond first and in a manner acceptable by all.

Apart from everything else, please do note that I AM NOT IN THE BUSINES OF JUDGING PEOPLE, so I'm not judging you or your motive. I'm just putting forth my point of view in the light of many other things, like NGO's working for various causes, where the office bearers are drawing salaries in lakhs, from the donation people make for these causes, and yours is still a startup, which is supposed to earn profits.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

@CyberKID I wonder what made my reply to you or any of the above 'harsher'? I suggest you go through your responses again. Every critisism will only make our intentions more stronger. We never said no to any queries or concerns nor are we forcing anybody to participate. But there is no harm in trying what you believe could mark a difference. If it goes well its wonderful, if it doesnt, like we have planned, we will learn a lesson. That is upto us. In anyway if you are showing concern for our idea, thank you, if not, my reply remains the same. Hope I am not being harsh here :)

Parichita
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Keenjal, I might not be published yet, but I do know a little about the publishing world. In my opinion (and that is really a personal opinion), paying for getting published makes sense only in rarer of the rarest case when the judges are someone you admire or the publication is so esteemed that the sales are automatically guaranteed. But here, not even the exposure is certain because it is not sure how rigorously you are going to market the anthology or how strong your customer base is right now.

But more than anything, what I object to here is that you are not giving anything back to the authors. You have not promised them any royalty or anything compensation even after the sales.I understand publishing world needs investment and all those arguments, but don't you think writing world also need something like that? That merely a chance of being seen is not sufficient when someone has given their input to the stories?

Anyway, that is my take. There might be people who would like to participate in the program and I wish you good luck with them, but like Cyberkid said, this is not the right place for promoting such stuff.

Rajesh K
from Chennai
8 years ago

+1 to kalpanaa & Parachita for their spot-on comments. 

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

This: @Parichita I think its best if you self-publish your work (If you want to get published) :) People like you dont need publishers to reach out to people. Good Luck!

Appears to me to be Sarcasm! I'm sorry if it's not.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

@CyberKID just so that you know, you mentioned you are not juding anyone. I'm sorry if you are not. Also, thank you for the above suggestion for how to go about a start up company. Having said that I hope you do good in your business area too. Peace out. 

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Did I do that? I'm sorry for it. But, I just put up what I felt from your response to Parichita. It's always good to speak up instead of keeping things to yourself.

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

@Parichita Appreciate your opinions, thank you. Good day! I really really hope that this project happens successfully and that you enjoy reading Anthology Unmasked :) P.S. No sarcasm here. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Who is the actual publisher? Cedar Books? And how do authors earn royalty? 

keenjal patel
from Mumbai
8 years ago

PepperScript is the actual publisher, visit www.pepperscript.com For anthologies publishers usually don't pay royalties to the authors. However, a complimentary book to all the published authors is guaranteed. 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

so you take publishing fees, but not share royalties? seems legit *sarcasm*

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I also did a whois search of your domain and google searched the physical address. How exactly is 'Dial-a-book' connected to pepperscript? 

LockThis topic is locked.