WORDPRESS PLUGIN: AKISMET - How effective is it?

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

I have been into blogging for a little more than 2.5 years now. However, all of my blogging has concentrated on blogger as the platform of choice. Whatever features I required, I added with the help of some workarounds. Recently, I started a self hosted wordpress blog. The blog concentrates on the niche of blogging. Since my choice of blogging platform has been blogger, I have some knowledge of blogger, but when it comes to wordpress, I am just a n00b. Taking a look at the Akismet (the spam comment blocking plugin) statistics for my blog, as of writing this, it says it has blocked 197 spam comments. Reading through some of these spam comments, I found some of them to be really spammy. However, some other comments appear more of generalised comments and somewhat relevant to my blog posts' contents. Reading through these many comments being marked spam by Akismet, I now have a certain doubt arising about the efficiency of Akismet. Is it really that great as it claims itself to be? If yes, what about these general yet relevant looking comments that are being submitted and being marked spam by Akismet. Shall I ignore these comments?

I would like suggestions from whoever who has an exposure to wordpress for blogging. For your reference, I am quoting a few comments I have received but are not moderated since Akismet thinks these are spammy comments.

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed tobe on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, Idefinitely get annoyed while people consider worries that theyplainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also definedout the whole thing without having side effect , people can takea signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment isadded I get four e-mails with the same comment.Is there any way you can remove me from that service?Cheers!

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it istruly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.I will be grateful if you continue this in future. A lot of peoplewill be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

May I simply just say what a relief to uncover an individual whogenuinely knows what they are discussing over the internet.You certainly know how to bring an issue to light and make it important.More people have to check this out and understand this side of your story.I was surprised you aren’t more popular since you most certainly have the gift.

Maybe, my judgement is flawed reading through such comments, but I would really like to know the thoughts of bloggers using Wordpress, on such comments. Shall I approve these comments or should I just go ahead and click that Delete Permanently button?

Edited 8 years ago
Reason: Updates
Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending

I think these comments are spam

Vishal Verma
Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
8 years ago

go ahead and click that Delete Permanently button

go ahead and click that Delete Permanently button
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I have been using Disqus. No need for Akismet. But I plan on using WordPress-xenforo linking which will post a part of the content from wp to xenforo automatically and also link comments between both the CMS. 

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Thanks ND, Rohit, Sarma, Vishal and TS. You guys have helped a lot. Laughing

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
8 years ago

These are so obvious spam comments. No doubt that Akismet is such prestigious spam detection tool.

No doubt, they are all spam! I've received the same comments exactly word by word in my blog too. I generally don't check comments blocked by Akismet. But once I found a fellow blogger's genuine comment blocked. 

I do always check. But then I'm desperate for feedback, ( how else do I improve ). EmbarassedI have found genuine comments from previous readers there on a couple of occasions..

Akismet has done a wonderful job so far. The comments you posted as examples are definitely spam. If you read carefully you can see that they make very generic, flattering statements but say point to nothing specific in your post. Also, if you look at the sentence structure you will see how robotic they are.

The very first one: "Unquestionably believe that which you stated." Spam! A real reader would agree with *something*. Of course, there are readers who are cop outs....

Also check out the senders id: 9.9/10 it will be a someone selling "iphoneunlockcode", "ToryBurch", "SEO services". All Bots!

Also: check your settings. Any comment with 2 or more URL links is automatically held for moderation, by default.

LockSign in to reply to this thread