Changing Themes in Wordpress

Sneha Sasikumar
Sneha Sasikumar
from New York
8 years ago

Hello Friends,

I wanted to know what are the things i need to keep in mind before changing from one theme to another in WordPress. I wanted to switch to another theme just for a change but also didnt want to lose any of my posts or settings like widgets, apps etc.

Looking forward to hear from you folks.

Happy Blogging until then!!!

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
from Mumbai
8 years ago

As an idiot who keeps changing themes once a month on Wordpress, here is my list of things to watch out for:

1. Make sure the theme is responsive. Check it with Google Mobile Test.

2. Ensure that your widgets and apps are compatible with the new theme.

3. Make sure that a post appears normal. I once installed a lovely theme, but it had too big a font size and thus my image captions covered up half the images.

I suggest you go for a Live Preview and check out several pages and posts before you take it live.

Morish
Morish
from Jamshedpur
8 years ago

I look post excerpt and widgets, all themes do not support the same. I heard genesis themes are best, there are no changes on changing ..I didn't try myself, check if you wanna know more.

Hey Sneha, I changed my theme and I lost all my widgets, which really took a month or two to built(Ya they were so many) So I won't recommend you do that, you know.

Sneha Sasikumar
Sneha Sasikumar
from New York
8 years ago

Thanks Xavier!!!   And am so sorry that you faced issues. Even i gave up on the thought of changing the wordpress theme. Rather i redesigned the current blog. Thanks for the info

Great! no problem. I'll Make it again!

LockSign in to reply to this thread