Do you charge to attend and cover press conference/ launch events??

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I got a mail from an agency pretty recently asking if I would be interested in attending a launch of a mobile phone from a 'reputed brand' (it was strange that they didn't mention the brand's name at first, but that's another story) and they asked if you charge for attending, along with other details like location, page views, etc. This is weird. With a 5-year experience of running a PC hardware website, I never got such email invite, but in a 2-3 month period of starting a mobile and gadget site, I got two of such emails. I am not talking about gifts here. It's an actual amount. 

But I got a reply, and it was from a blog called 'The elegant chic', a fashion/lifestyle site by the looks of it. The email was as follows:

I don't know how many people will talk about it, but its a good discussion for those who do get stuff to review, get invites, etc.

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
I got the page views but no money
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I was once invited to a pre-launch event of a restaurant, where I was to get a full meal of stuff that wasn't on the menu, all for free. In return, I had to blog about it, positively [that too, live].

Nice
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

So it brings up a question. If you get invited to a restaurant and have free food, in exchange for a positive write-up, then how can you achieve credibility and establish trust with your readers? 

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
from Mumbai
8 years ago

That dilema is what prevented me from accepting it.

Snazzyawi
Snazzyawi
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Yes we get invitations on a regular basis. Atleast here in mumbai. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Oh, one more email quote. Looks like I would be getting a few of these. Just sharing so that there would be some discussion. This one only starts at 12k:

HUSgC5K.png

HR
from Bangalore
8 years ago

Twitter ID is very nice TS Cool.

(Some of them get personal or blog detail without any offer as well).

Parichita
Parichita
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Sorc, can anyone who gets paid to do a review write a negative review? We dicussed this once earlier too: I don't think one can maintain one's credibility after getting paid for all the reviews.

Also, I do know people who get paid to attend the launch event, it is more like endorsing the brand. DoHickey must have been getting quite famous. :P

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I never did endorse, but I do have hosting sponsorships. The company takes care of hosting fees in exchange for 6 months ad. It works out for them, usually because when they pay the hosting fees directly it reflects as an expense, hence no VAT charges or anything else. 

Doohickey will take time, but whatever is happening is only because of bbq's reputation. two PC brands have vouched for me with other brands. 

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
8 years ago

With sponsored posts, I make sure to only give information to my readers, but I don't give a positive opinion about the product especially when I haven't used it myself. These posts are more informational than review type. If a sponsor asks me to write a positive review, I don't accept. Taking money and writing an unbiased review is very difficult. In other words, we will be forced to lie.  

Readers are more important than sponsorers. 

Ritika
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I don't think so. I feel if I am showcasing a brand on my blog, with its website link and everything. Even if its a neutrally put informational article, its still a sort of publicity. And if you are giving it a place on your blog, its advertising and the brand should pay for it. 

And I am not saying this because I want the money but because brands should respect bloggers more. I get approached by so many brands who blankly tell me that they want me to talk about their brand for free or for free stuff. And I really don't think that is fair.

HR
HR
from Bangalore
8 years ago

Very few products / brands discuss with Blogger too (as Embargo) prior to launching / releasing their product / gadget. This is healthy one for the bloggers and you can accept it if it is from well known brand company or receiving info from reputed PR, or else don't take the risk like Nigerian people tricks via Alibaba or other websites etc. Laughing

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I did few embargos. No in exchange for money, though they did give me first over established guys probably thinking ROI is better. I got few products for giving feedback for improvements. 

HR
from Bangalore
8 years ago

Yes, there are few brands who pay 'cash' for attending the event for bloggers. I remember one of them is Honda that paid around 5k via organizer, though I didn't participate in it.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

ah. I never encountered that with bbq. so seeing this with the mobile part seems strange. I am not sure how exactly is the cash part beneficial for both- companies and the blogger. Agency would because they're paid to do.  I seriously believe they should pay for ad space instead. It's beneficial for brands, and also helps the bloggers to have a media kit to show previous advertisers.  Showing relevant ads to the readers makes a more lot sense. 

HR
from Bangalore
8 years ago

so seeing this with the mobile part seems strange.

Mobile company pay the cash to its ambassador or organizer or host etc. as 'debit' / expenses, as far as bloggers’ concern, either company may give releasing smartphone (which can be used, or sell it for around 80 to 90% of the current rate and encash it), or company may give a small gift with snack/lunch/dinner etc. as 'Credit'. It is all depend on the company's scheduled budget, type of company, type of events like embargo, or launch, or release, or ad campaign etc.

how exactly is the cash part beneficial for both- companies and the blogger

Company will show the expenses / ‘debit’ for the Advertise campaign (saving IT as well) which is very important for the company including ‘debit’ column has to be some figure/amount in the Tally’s latest version. And blogger will participate in the campaign or contest, make an effort, show the winning, 'credit' and happiness due to product post detail on a blog “with a link of company / product” that also leads to a popular ad campaign globally via internet source, thus both gets benefit out of here. Company again save cost here.

Company or organizers are smart, they would transfer cash to bank a/c or give a cheque, and won’t give cash unless and otherwise a different approach.

Blogger becomes temporary and mini-ambassador for the company when he/she accepts for the contest or campaign and participates, so, obviously blogger has to support the product including minor negative points can be shown on the blog (which normally ignores it by the company unless otherwise calls from them or ineligible entry) that generally doesn’t do it by the company’s or product’s  real ambassador during their contract.

I seriously believe they should pay for ad space instead

That is separate one and you can negotiate for ad space as well. Don’t mix both of them and lose them (for blog post with link and ad space). You can do both of them.

It will be good if any company pay cash/EFT just for attending an event, like blog post with link, ad space and so on separately Laughing.

Note: I am afraid of my name in the IB Forum hero list or black list by answering as such Tongue out.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Aaaah.That explains some bloggers and reviewers coming in those advertisements that circulate around FB, Youtube, etc. Asus has one made for their earlier zenphone models with reviewers speaking about the gadgets...interesting. there's always new to learn.  

Vikas Kumar
Vikas Kumar
from Faridabad
8 years ago

I know it's a little of topic but do you write all the content for your blog DooHickey yourself? 

Regards

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

yup! Even for hardware bbq except audio reviews. a good friend does it. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread