Writeup Cafe ~ Can they do this?

I posted a book review yesterday, and there is a website called Writeup Cafe who published the same post with a backlink to my post.

Their post comes up in the first page when I search for a review of the book, but my post is no where in the first 3 pages

http://www.writeupcafe.com/blog/10-personal/47623-book-review-patang-by-bhaskar-chattopadhyay

My question is

Can they do this?

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
They have done it bro.
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

No more than an excerpt. which is the case here. But did you create an account since its listed under "your" profile: http://www.writeupcafe.com/9098

The link having My profile directs to their blog. I think its all much ado about nothing from my side.

I'll check from home if I have registered on their site.

Amitesh Gupta
Amitesh Gupta
from Patna
7 years ago

Yes. Riozee is right. They've already done that! Tongue out

Sarmistha Goswami
Sarmistha Goswami
from Guwahati
7 years ago

Ideally they shouldn't do it without your permission but yes, they have done it and I don't what can you do about it. I recently came across a site that has my profile and some random photographs from my blog along with some other photographs under my prfoile appearing as if I have posted them! I know for sure I never signed up for an account in that site. Aanother time a reputed fashion magazine used full spread images from my blog without my permission and didn't even bother giving any credits! I guess, that's web-life!

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Copying an excerpt and linking back is fine. Even in PC h/w reviews we have the same system. One excerpt, 1 featured image (depending on the site) and backlink. As it is people will have to click on the link to read the content anyways. Its not a big deal. I do the same for review website that does for me. links are no follow and doesn't provide pingbacks. So the source of traffic through the site is always direct. 

If you dont like it, you can ask them to remove. You're just cutting off a potential option that may get you traffic.  Its like when I got 14,000 pageviews in a day few days ago. 32% were referral links- websites, and discussion forums. Its no different. Some give small traffic. some give none. Some helps to gain traction for your website that generates good loyal readerbased out of websites that have loyal readerbase. If the entire content was copied and then linked in the bottom, then that's when the problem is. That's not called plagiarism, but that's also not called fair use. 

Always an eye opener, reading your views. Thanks and anyway I felt it was all unnecesary..only realized it after I posted in haste. I wouldn't mind if you delete this thread, lock it or somehting

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
7 years ago

Now it seems sorted after TS' lid-traction. On a different note, I think it's better not to register with myriad sites who bother too much and mostly turn out to be unrewarding. Cheers Sharmaji!

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

He didn't. If you click on the author's name, it links to the genral blog URL trail. Fair enough, at least it didn't create a fake ID. Just used his name but backlinked it to one of its general section. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
7 years ago

When I visited the WC link provided by Sharma, I landed up on an excerpt, which further guided me to his specific book review blog post. So, it seemed really okay to me!

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
7 years ago

I personally know the guy behind Writeup Cafe.. His name is Siddharth.. Really a nice chapa and can personally vouch that he'd never think of remotely taking credit for another person's post

He actually encourages blogging and ask people to write more :)

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
7 years ago

As far as I know Write up Cafe was run by Binay Karan - not sure if he has handed it over to this Siddharth in the recent years.

Amitesh Gupta
Amitesh Gupta
from Patna
7 years ago

At least, you got a backlink! 

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
7 years ago

There are a lot of sites where the primary aim is to get others to write... and if they don't succeed at getting bloggers to contribute, they go ahead and publish a relevant post giving credit. This has happened with quite a few posts frommy blog... yes, they did contact me for contribution/s but get desperate if I do not reply. The next step that many of such sites take is what happened in your case.

Just wondering if a backlink and all credits given is enough to absolve such sites of the online lack of etiquette that is certainly displayed. So far as I am concerned, I have never protested, but then it could be because i do not want to get into any acrimonious debate now.

LockSign in to reply to this thread