Pictures on blog - best strategy

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Asking a question here after a long long time

I am talking to someone to get my blog professionally deisgned to look like an author website. Now thinking after doing that, will the random free to use pictures sourced from google or something made by mish mashing few of those look professional enough on the site? I obviously can't afford to buy custom made images for every post. Nor do I have sufficient artistic skills to make my own.

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Take your own photos. It doesn't have to be artistic. It just has to be relevant, clear and something that can relate with the content. 

Astha Goel
Astha Goel
from Jaipur
7 years ago

Click photos yourself always. Use natural light and add some background. 

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
7 years ago

Yes, pictures help... though a strong/ powerful/ lucid/ well expressed text content stays at the top position. The truth is that not every post needs pictures... though they help. But so do quotes interspersed in the post. Or illustrations. Or sketches and drawings. Or maybe even a flow-chart. It all depends on what is actually required. A picture isn't always 'the right companion' to a well-written article. Accessing pictures is a different matter. The right free-to-use stock pictures on the net will generally take a long time to search... and there is every possibility of uploading one that doesn't do justice. Afar better idea is to clcik a shot on the mobile, edit it a bit, and use... 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Naming the image according to the content is important. There are 6-7 photos which gets direct traffic from google images only because the image is named according to the content. 

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Everyone seems to be suggesting to click my own. Seems like I need to become a photographer as well to support my writing. Photography was never my forte - my hands shake and I can't even take a clear picture.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Well, most cameras have decent image stabilization. In my earlier days I used a basic sony cam that broke down on its own, later shifting to a 4k canon plasticky cam and then 600D. You get those small tabletop tripods for small cameras (even for mirrorless due to the formfactor and weight) and you can get extra attachment for cellphones. But at least start taking images and then think about getting better images if and when you need it. 

Arvind Passey
from Delhi
7 years ago

Come on TF, even smartphone cameras are now reasonably good. Clicking your own pictures gives you a personalised advantage and you don't have to worry about copyright issues or the money involved when you're purchasing.

As TS says, OIS is advanced and minor shakes are indeed taken care of.

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
7 years ago

And, by the way, if fixing a smartphone on a tripod seems difficult, the easier way is to attach it to a selfie stick and then use a tripod. Selfie sticks also have screw slots at the bottom.

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
7 years ago

There are hundreds of legitimate free image sharing sites. why not search for them. Afterall, not everyone is that money-minded. Try searching for the not-yet-discovered-web.

LockSign in to reply to this thread