Huge spike in traffic on my blog, is it a spam?

Razina
Razina
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hi all, my blog is around 5 months old and the average traffic that I get daily is 100-150, but yesterday I got a huge spike and the stats shows 1500+ and the country from which all this traffic came is Israel. May I know if it is some kind of spam and what I need to do to stop it in future, pls help... tia

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

I am assuming you're using Google Analytics? It doesn't sound so bad. Is it direct or did someone referral your content towards an article?

Razina
Razina
from Bangalore
7 years ago

No, this traffic is not towards any particular content, so I'm assuming it's a spam. May i know if i have to change some settings in google analytics? 

HR
HR
from Bangalore
7 years ago

You can ignore those bot and crawls traffic for the blog contents, they are neither organic traffic nor harmful. No setting / action required.

Razina
Razina
from Bangalore
7 years ago

thank you for your reply.

can someone please guide me on how to setup my google analytics, tia.

HR
from Bangalore
7 years ago

I forgot to add, some individual also can use ananymous search tool to crawl the blog / content etc.

Regarding Google Analytics, this is a big story and can't explain with few steps. Try to search in Google with keyword like "Google analytics guideline 2017" or likewise and choose the latest (2017) article to know better since the old article might conflict the current Analytic guideline. 

Go to under View Setings and check the box stating exclude traffic from known bots. This way you can reduce some junk traffic.

Moreover, If you can identify the exact site URL which is generating junk traffic for your website, you can exclude those by adding fitlers. See the image below , I've added fitler that excludes such website :

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a good day.

Soumi Datta
Soumi Datta
from Mumbai
7 years ago

I actually noticed the same in my blog as well, and all of them were from Israel :o

Ha ha, seems that these Isrealis have lot of free time in hand!

HR
HR
from Bangalore
7 years ago

There could be other reason as well for a particular visit from that county, like,

1. Publishing paid post from other country but tracking (ad banner / traffic etc.) is from that particular country.

2. Using Infolink adv and tracking the blog / traffic / ad banner etc. from that country.

3. Using proxy IP address from any country that reflect a particular or a different country and on.

Razina
Razina
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hi, I donot have any advertisement on my blog, so I really need a help to protect my page from getting spammed

HR
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Comment spam can be protected with dashboard control but traffic spam, or hacker, cracker or even virus affecting in system (despite using anti-virus) etc. can't be easily protected. Sometime even techies hurdle on these.

This is probably a bot and all you have to do is add filters to your reports. Don't worry it has no harmful effect and the traffic goes away in some time.

LockSign in to reply to this thread