Timeless blog content?

Folks,

Have you ever thought about the following?

- How much of your content is news or trend driven and how much will stand beyond time?

- Do you have a good mix of traffic driving, trendy topics and posts that guarantee prolonged search visits

- How can one create timeless content?

I have recently written a post about it on my blog (dollarshower.com) but would like to take IndiBloggers view on this topic Smile

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Hey Ajith .. I was just facinated with the concept alone .. "timeless blog content" .. Posts with no dates and talking about general issues and connecting it with an existing trend.. It becomes timeless.. beautiful!!

I gotta do some more thinking on it .. bookmarked your blog!

Himank
Himank
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

Nice thought man, this is one thought which never entered my mind earlier.Cool

Gives me one more reason to start visiting the forum more regularly!! :)

@Anoop, @Himank, thanks.. I hope to contribute more towards this topic :)

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

If am right , that is what we call " pillar topics "

Topics that would bring traffic through all seasons :)

I usually make sure to have a right mix of pillar posts along with current affairs and other sundry posts.

Appreciate this topic Ajith ! Looking forward to more discussions on it.

GingerChai.com

Sojo Varughese
Sojo Varughese
from Mangalore
14 years ago

You made me think bro! Thanks for that! Lately, I realized, my blog has become news driven. And news become old, and obsolete. 

Do you think 1:1 trend driven posts and concept focused posts ratio would do the trick? 

@Mr.R, Pillar posts are of course the stalwart content on your blog. However, timeless posts do not need to be pillar posts :)

@Sojo, it's very difficult to achieve a 1:1 ratio of trendy posts and timeless posts. I would say, one great timeless post for every five to six posts would be more practical :)

@Anwin, Great to know that you have continuous search traffic via those great posts. One more topic, I should have mentioned is the role of  in which the post title, keywords and first paragraph in driving traffic. In fact, I had mentioned it in some other post! Balancing act is the key as you rightly said :)

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

@ Ajith

That is interesting to know that pillar posts need not be timeless posts. Can you tell me the difference ?! :)

@Mr.R, pillar posts in my opinion are longer, exhaustive posts which logically explains all aspects of a certain topic and it can definitely be timeless though I thought it's not mandatory. For example, if somebody writes '50 ways to effectively use feedburner' it's a pillar post but only bound to a certain technology and can't live longer. However, stuff like 'How to write a killer post title' may live longer. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

@Sriharsha, glad to hear that most of your content attracts search traffic. That's another key thing about the timeless/pillar posts... The more uniqute you are, more prolonged hits you will get.

LockSign in to reply to this thread