Why so many widgets?

Susan Deborah
Susan Deborah
from Goa
14 years ago

I have seen so mnay blogs. the widgets seem to grab the attention all the more than the content. Even while reviewing, its the widgets which get the limelight. Now even I am getting dragged to this 'widget widget' bandwagon. Does it matter so much? Its content VS the widget or rather one blog's widget VS the other blog's widget.

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Hey Susan, frankly I think a widget should only be used if it serves a purpose. The IndiRank widget for example may be useful for a blogger who wants to estabilish his/her authority in the Indian blogosphere. However, if it takes the attention away from the content, then there's no point in having it at all. It all depends on how it's used!

I see that you're an Indi-llectual. Smile

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Ha ha .. widgets are just for up to date info and sharing apps/platforms .. dont worry widget or no widget .. content only matters .. keep blogging! :)

Navneet Kumar
Navneet Kumar
from Visakhapatnam
14 years ago

i think widgets do matter...as they enable the bloggers to maintain a proper followup as to what sort of public reads and likes what sort of posts. What topics they are interested in. Also, stats widdgets sure encourages the blogger to give more and more time in their blogs.

Sojo Varughese
Sojo Varughese
from Mangalore
14 years ago

both widget and content rules :) 

Navneet Kumar
Navneet Kumar
from Visakhapatnam
14 years ago

Rightly said Sojo...content is the king...but what to do when one has content but no one to look at it?

Susan Deborah
Susan Deborah
from Goa
14 years ago

I guess only should play by their instincts here. A perfect blend of widgets and content is what it is. I was just getting too carried away by the widgets. Thanks for sounding off. Shows that you take time out for all this. Nice!

Susan Deborah

Chhaya
Chhaya
from Mumbai
14 years ago

A perfect balance between the content and the widgets make the blog super attractive.

and yeah, the widget shud have a reason to be there..

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Widgets do matter . It brings value addition provided you choose the right widgets for your blog . Choosing a widget needs a study on your blog , your content , your template , your readers and how your view point on how it would suit you and not disturb the blog's main idea.

I personally like widgets that gives value addition to my blog. Its better not to cluster your blog with too many widgets but add the right one as a value addition.

Neeraj Shinde
Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

Widgets used in the blog must be supportive to the content of your blog. If the widgets being used do not sound to be relevant to the very purpose of the blog, I suppose they should not exist in the first place.

This is analogous to wearing garments that do not suit your own nature.

Keep your blog interesting, to the point, sensible and simple - that's paramount!

http://shindeneeraj.blogspot.com

Kshitij
Kshitij
from Faridabad
14 years ago

I personally don't like widgets. Of the blogs reviewed/read by me, I found most of them to be widget-heavy. I really didn't see a need for the widgets I found.

And, you know, for example, I don't really care about the live trafic feed on a particular blog. I am not sure how that is helpful.

On the contrary, some of the poeple who looked at my pages said I was quite blank... there were no widgets at all. Probably, I think we need to strike a balance - Keep the ones that solve purpose... and ignore the ones that add cosmetic value ONLY.

And yes, content will always remain the king.

http://dusht-ka-drishtikone.blogspot.com/

http://mitti-ka-sher.blogspot.com/

LockSign in to reply to this thread