Display the Archive widget in wordpress like blogspot with tree

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

I used to blog with Blogspot and found that the Archive widget used in it is very handy. it will be like a tree and the reader can expand it by year, month and also the individual posts.

But ever since I moved to WordPress, I notice that there is no tree like structure in Archive. It only shows the month, and no possibility to expand the Month to see individual posts.

The only option is to click on the Month, and it takes to the full list of posts on the main page.

How do I make this Archive in WordPress similar to blogspot? Is it possible without any plugins?

Thanks for the help.

Edited 5 years ago
Reason: Typo corrections
Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
Srinivasan
Srinivasan
from Chennai
5 years ago

I think you can customize your widgets since you have a paid plan.

Maybe I'm wrong, but without any plugin or modifications, I think you cannot change the default widget provided by wordpress.

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

Thanks Srini. I am open to use any free reliable plugin for this widget. i tried to find some plugin, but with no success.

yes. Create Categories and sub categories. Then use the Category widget ( default ). I use that method on my self hosted ( new ) blog

Right now, I have only one cat as I'm still building out. But as you can see it works - notice the Cricket Category has a child.

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

No, I am looking for Archives. Currently, it shows 2 levels. 1 level for the Year, and next for month(with number of posts). [I believe that its same for Categories too. Does not show list of posts under category.]

What I am looking for is, when i expand the month, it should list all post under the Month. This was by default happening on BlogSpot. But some reason, I could not make it happen in Wordpress.

It does. You can set it up as a dropdown. But this particular widget won't list the post titles in that dropdown. Is that what you're looking for? 

I personally would rather reader was taken to excerpts for all the posts in that category. My implementation does exact that. 

If you select a cat or subcat hoi will see ALL posts for that on the body. Heading and excerpt not just a heading...

If you can post a screenshot of what you want, it may help me get you what you need

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

Here is what I am looking for. This is much faster then clicking on the Month, and opening the archive pages with all the post and experts. User can expand the Month, get the list of post titles, and click directly on the title to land in blog post.

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

Oops. I pasted the screenshot in post. But Not to be seen here.

Thakns to a fellow blogger on twitter, I found the WP-dTree plugin which is exactly what I want. But its 2 years old and not updated for years. Not tested on new versions of WP. Have a look, and you will get the idea of what I am looking for.

LockSign in to reply to this thread