Is the 'Khan detention' so much to talk about??'

ajit joy
ajit joy
from mumbai
14 years ago

There are so many Khans being detained in the US airports. If it not had been for SRK some other khan from india would have been in his place.

No one would have even known about it then. Our government would not have even helped him out as did our I&B minister did for SRK.wot say??

Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending
Nisar Ahmed
Nisar Ahmed
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

Agreed that too much is being said about it. But you also got to consider that he was no comman man. He is quite famous internationally and still he gets detained.

But I do agree that the media are trying to make a big story about it. Its unnecessary.

Sojo Varughese
Sojo Varughese
from Mangalore
14 years ago

Is Khan Detention so much to talk about? Yes, on one side. Because it brought to light the hypocrisy and 'muslim' phobia of American administration when it comes to managing their own security concerns! Detaining someone because they have a muslim name is unacceptable. I think the UN should address this issue! 

On another note, why should VIP's not be frisked or detained, if that is the rule of the game for everyone? If an Indian can be detained in US because he has a Muslim Name, US can do the same thing to SRK too. I don't see any problem. Indian Govt should not be addressing this issue because SRK is involved. It should address the issue because of the religiously fundamentalist American World View!

Anurag
Anurag
from Pittsburgh
14 years ago

This shows how some "Khans" have made the situation so bad that even celebrities like even Shahrukh Khan suffer in foreign land.

Really, in india no one is learning a part of the surveilance of the us authority but making a noise about this.  who is shahrukh, just a film star. that's it.  The lack of such measures in India there happens to be terrorist activites in India.  the media and Indian authority should not make it a point.  Let the law takes it course.  Vips are not untouchables.  Muslim terrorism has made this possible and when the question of security comes no one is above law.  for the activities of the real culprits, some honest people are harrased but that is unavoidable and we should be this. 

thanks

ARJuna
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I completely agree sir.

Citizen Pain
Citizen Pain
from Hanover
14 years ago

I have been subjected to such 'random' questioning. The issue here is- Why aren’t US citizens frequently detained for questioning? Perhaps the majority of 9/11 terrorists were from a particular religion, but if you see the total number of hijacks in US, wouldn’t American hijackers far outnumber the hijackers whose name is Khan?

If indeed they are doing this on the basis of race, religion, color then it is plain wrong.

crimes-of-india.blogspot.com

ARJuna
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Read todays Times Of India, many of the US officials even those from higher govt. offices have been detained at some point of time in their lives.

Anyways, why should India stay behind, nobody has stopped it from checking or frisking any and every body who lands on its soil.

Citizen Pain
from Hanover
14 years ago

I am definitely against the hoopla and furor caused by this. In my own humble opinion, SRK can not expect that if indians treat him like a super vip the entire world should also call him king. My blog post is also in the same vein.

However, I have seen myself, complete psychedelic punks US kids being let through seamlessly while decent looking men are held. Now, by no means am i implying that one can judge a book by its cover, but then what IS the basis.

In case of Bob Dylan, he actually did not have his ID on him, which is actually illegal. But I am sure SRK had his passport with him. The debate (if there should be any) on this should not focus on 'how can you treat my VIP badly' Vs. 'celebrity bashing' but focus on the actual issue. Because when people are detained 'randomly' for 3 hours, causing them to miss their flight and subjected to all sorts of searches including cavity search, they will not think that reciprocating it in india is the correct course of action to take.

Vipul Grover
Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

Yes it is important 2 take up d issue bcoz if sch a big celebrity cn b harrased like this, what happens to the non-celebrities. Stop seeing evrything through the prism of VIP's vs Common man..

Nd those who go all ga-ga about american security system nd their right to carry out sch chks should not forgt d serious racial profiling being done by their authorities.

Only if they chk the credentials of the travellers before carrying out sch chks, it will prevnt all this humiliation.

Thr is diffrnce b/w humiliating ur guests nd doing normal chking business.

Vijay Rajamani
Vijay Rajamani
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Folks, I think it's not worth even a discussion. So many well-respected Indians are harassed by the US Immigration and Customs, and Khan being a film star is no big deal. I don't think he was invited by the US Govt. nor is he spending time for charity in the US.

He would obviously like to use it to his advantage, being the celebrity he is. Whether it is Khan or Kishen. Given that his new movie is title "My name is Khan", this publicity will help him and his movie.

Let us get on with our lives folks.  So many other issues to talk about.

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
14 years ago

The SRK syndromeI fail to understand why there is so much of 'hulla gulla' by Shah Rukh Khan and his well wishers  over his detention for two hours at Newark airport. One has to abide by other country law when they are there. One should appreciate that because of stringent security measure by US, there  has been  no further terrorist attack. In contrast, in India, our Government keep harping that they have tightened the security, but again and again the country is facing terrorist attacks. It is high time our Government learns the security procedures from them and our  Icons and  V VIPs should not feel offended by security checks.They all should behave like a common citizen because the constitution has given equal rights to each individual and no body should think himself aboveboard! S.R.Ayyangar, Bangalore

@S.R exactly what i said earlier.  this is but a security measure.  Not that others are not being checked by the US authority but our news hungry media picks up this story to rake mullahs.  it is simple,  too much noises are being made by us.  Anyone can sneek into high security zone like parliament.  this shows the laxity and sincerity of our security system that is interestingly highly fool proof to insecurity and laxity.  Other than entertainment what is the contribution of Shahrukh to the community?  I have not read about anything.  They are only earning and not a single pie trickle down to the community.  If all indian film stars parts a small part of their earning, i am sure there will be no Dharavi and no slumdog millionaire.  Why this shedding tears when even shahrukh is not pressing for an apology.  and if anyone demands so then certainly he will be violating the legal stipulations of the Us administration. 

Instead adopt a part and relieve us from the scourge of terrorism that has become a part and parcel of Indian community life. 

thanks

Neeraj Shinde
Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

Security measured enforced are merely established as an attempt to pacify the scorge of terrorist activities. Only strong security processes at sensitive areas like airports could help us bring about greater compliance. The hype that followed after the SRK episode is unnecessary. We have been coming across numerous incidents of bad media reporting. Frisking of VVIPs is turning very common now-a-days. Do you really think that this obligation is not a responsiblity of celebrities and VVIPS? I believe, the sec chk must be mandatory for all. Can the authorities deny the possibility of a likely sec. breach through the VIP's belongings? Does being a celebrity entitles him/her of a license of granted innocence? Absolutely not! Authorities should have the basic freedom to question a random person as a part of sec. measures. The claims that Indian muslims are maltreated due to their names is lame.

On the other hand, if some guests feel mistreated during the sec. chk. process, due to some rude personel, he should have a right to complain back to the authorities through proper channels. Media should not be used for expressing your disgust.

many ppl face the same problem,this time it got publicized so much only because  of sharukh's star status....

Or who knows if shahrukh was promoting his upcoming film "My name is Khan" or something like this.   I dont know how media came to know this.  Certainly, a deliberate effort might have allowed the media to muddle and it is guessed that Shahrukh or the production crew, producer or director of the movie might have called the media or stage managed the affair.  Security check was routine but Shahrukh might have tried to utilize the time to get some publicity. 

thanks

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

It's refreshing to see the views of the bloggers here as compared to the "outrage" on twitter. The outrage should be directed towards the fact that it's an Indian involved, and not because it's a "superstar". It's sad that the noise levels were so much lower when it was Dr.Abdul Kalam at the receiving end.

On the other hand though, it's dificult to blame the US authorities. Post 9/11, the profile they would be watching out for would be "Asians with Islamic names", or "Asians who have travelled to the middle east in the last 12 months". We all do profiling in our personal lives as well - if someone of a particular type steals from you, you're suspicious of everyone of that type hence forward. It's human nature. We don't know what parameters their profilers would have come up with. My brother gets detained everytime he passes through customs because he landed in the US the morning of September 11, left the UK a week before the London bombings and he has Saudi Arabia stamped all over his passport! (I can vouch for him, he's not a terrorist Smile). The kind of pressure that country puts on it's people must be immense - and noone wants to go down in the history books as "the one who let the terrorist through".

I feel that we're missing out on the bigger picture - it's terrorism to blame!

Neeraj Shinde
Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

@Renie - Completely agree with you! It is very obvious, at times to feel humiliated due to the scenarios like the one you brought up. Of course, terrorism is to be blamed solely for this. I believe that there is an immense need of some innovations in the field of 'profiling'. A need to come up with real authentic ways to identify the credibility of people. And when I say authentic, it must be foolproof and secured. It is the innocent people who always face the inconvenience. Sad but true...

Neeraj Shinde
Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

Just watched the hindi movie "New York" - I recommend everyone above to watch the movie - It is a real eye opener! The movie shows some real scenario depicting the cruelty of FBI, the tortures against 1200+ detainees suring the Bush rule post 9/11 situation.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Cool... is the movie in English or Hindi? Playing in theatres now?

Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

Just watched the hindi movie "New York"....

Renie u need some rest man Tongue out

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

He he... so people tell me... but you know what they say - Keep Walking! Innocent

ajit joy
from mumbai
14 years ago

@ renie...lol :) u hv nt heard bout new york?? 

Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

Of course Ajit! Renie has heard of New York! May be it's just the movie he hasn't known about! lol!!!!! Laughing

ajit joy
ajit joy
from mumbai
14 years ago

lol:)

Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky
Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky
from India
14 years ago

Well this topic definitely does make good content for blogging. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread