Indiblogger of the month - Short stories - a discussion

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

I am not sure, whether we are allowed to discus the short stories  before the results. If not then admins please deleted this thread.

There are so many stories, if we discus at least few of them, it may give exposure to writers and some motivation.

My favorite story is Vikram Karve's - A dog's life.

http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/post/2008/01/a-dog-s-life.htm

The story is narrated from the point of a Dog; its views on the things happening around. The narration is vey good.

Interestingly when I voted for this story, I could see the ranking of all the blogs, And this story was no where near the top. That made me sad, hence the post.

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

1. It is possible that readers are not commenting because Indivine already has a related link.

2. Also, many bloggers don't like reading long posts/short stories.

3. Bloggers don't like to read other blogger's posts. People expect mutual commnets for the posts.

4. 55 fiction is killing - real short stories.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

55 fiction is killing - real short stories - I agree!

Archana
from Bangalore
14 years ago

also, people who do not have much networks in Indiblogger or otherwise, do not get their posts/blog ranked I suppose.

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

55 words is not the real thing! It is just a fad.

Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

well, its true 55 Fiction is killing the short stories is as true as T20 killing ODI's or Tests. But just like T20 has its own challenges, 55Fiction also needs a lot. Thr r many who just write a simplistic one, but i blive the 3 55ers i've written till now are by no parameters less than a short story. It is how much conviction you give in those 55 words. Each word should carry the weight of a sentence.

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

T20 is a nice example. (Do you like T20?). Interestingly I don't like T20 too. One other thing is - slow chess and lightning chess.

I guess people have their own opinions and tastes.

I commend the challenges of confining ones story to 55 or less words. However reading 55, doesn't gives a fulfilling experience. It is too short. I want to know more about the characters and their backround. I don't feel them in 55. (Anway, this is just my openion)

Well, I read your 3 stories (in one sitting!). The Journey of His Lifetime, has the potential of becoming a good long story. Something like - A train to Pakistan.

And, The Four seasons - also can become a good short story. But unfortunately, your readers, they need to be content with only 55 words!

Vipul Grover
Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

Well Ravi u r right about evryone's opinion and tastes. Frankly, evn i dont like most of the 55ers I come across but feel it is d mistake of the writer bhind it (who mostly end up writing murder, suspence stff with expectd endings) and not the concept.

nd yeah u r right those which i'v written can become nice long stories. Well, for my readers i've also posted some short stories. U shud read those too:)

Nd yeah I have started an ambitious work again by the name of Four Seasons, a series of short stories.. will definitely leave a link 4 u wn i strt posting thm mayb in couple of mnths:)

Nd hey u read my 3 stories in one sitting. isn't tht a big relief Wink

Shankar
from Chennai
14 years ago

I too hate 55 because I am very bad at it... http://ballat.blogspot.com

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

So far, I read half of the first posts, of the contest. Many a time, its  the author speaking than the characters. Anyway, we all learn over the period.

I will read your short stories soon. Or if you want me to read your best one, let me have the link.

One suggestion: Don't write like this - "leave a link 4 u wn i strt posting thm mayb"; this is killing the language. Don't use it even in forums and text messages. A person aspiring to be a writer should have respect for the language.

Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

yeah sure ravi.. bt really cant help it at times :)

Nd heres the tag link 2 my stories (including those 55ers).. not any gr8 wrk bt just a humble try at writing stories frm real life. (one is just a memoir)

Neeraj Shinde
from Pune
14 years ago

Of course it is killing the language... techies are addicted to this kind of verbiage! Indeed, it is a bad habit as far as good writing is concerned.

Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

I think now u guys r getting bit conservative. Change is one thing that is constant. So it can not be stopped. This internet lingo is here to stay. So you may frown about it or just accept it as a part of the language.

When it comes to serious writing, people know how to transform from internet lingo to real stuff :)

Archana
from Bangalore
14 years ago

just because twitter is 140 character-micro blogging, it does not fully hamper the other blogs.. aint it? guess 55 fiction similarly is kind of different and new thing which got evolved..

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

while casting my vote for indiblogger, i somehow didnt feel like voting for someone who dosent have good grammar. Specially since you are writing short stories, you cant write it in sms lingo or slang. I feel proper grammar and punctuation is necessary.

Madhu
from Chicago, Bangalore
14 years ago

Amen to that my friend. 

blog gore
blog gore
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Hmmm... Interesting... 55fiction

I dont think... short stories or novels will become redundant because of 55fiction...

In my opinion 55fiction is more interesting to write than read...  It definately hasnt evolved to the levels of Haiku which requires readers to think and interpret... at least not till now... or I havent come across something really interesting....

Stories are read and experienced in the mind over a period of time... Haiku requires extrapolation...  55fiction, so far tend to have a beginning,middle and an end that comes too soon... so one cant experience and relish the peaks and throughs of the story and neither does the end require one to take it forward in the mind...

I agree with Ravi... 55 fiction does not work... for me atleast...

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

its like writing a school precis

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

How did i miss this topic so far !

I was not a big fan of short stories till i stumbled upon 55F . Then , I thought of giving it a try and then realized - writing a good 55F is not that easy. ( i stress on the "good" again)

And then one of my co-author in my site too started writing 55F and I was bowled by it.

Good stories , be it 55F or Long stories have their own charm.

Just read the stories and give your honest opinion.

http://www.gingerchai.com/category/stories/55-fiction/

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

Guys, I just wrote my first & last 55Fiction story. May be it was a flash of geneius, I am surprised myself - wrote it under 5 minutes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

55th Love Story

He looked at her.

She looked at him.

She knew he won’t initiate. Looking in his eyes she said: “I love you”

“I can’t, “ he said.

“Why not?!” she implored.

“I am a Gay.”

“Oh Lord! How terrible? Tell me more?”

“I can’t; words are limited; This is 55Fiction,” he sighed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

lol.. see its so nice Wink

Ravi Lobo
Ravi Lobo
from Wisconsin
14 years ago

The story has exactly 55 words. Ha Ha. Now that is an achievement. ;-)

Still 55F is not my cup of tea.

LockSign in to reply to this thread