Censorship on Blogs

Palahalli
Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Namaste all,

We are all aware of instances where popular blogs have been asked to apologize for or delete posts that were critical of well known personalities.

What we don't know or probably ignore, are instances wherein blogs censor or delete or even block commenters that ask inconvenient questions. Questions that are opposed to the stance that the blog owner takes.

I have undertood it's owners discretion. However, when commenters decide to spend time and in many cases, money, to share their thoughts on blogs they find are of value and are popular, their comments get shut out if they speak about something they feel strongly; when they give voice to positions that are at variance to what is generally accepted on that particular blog or is against the owner's viewpoint.

My view is that blogs need traffic to survive/sustain interest and visitors are basically customers. When you shut out customers who voice opposing views, do you value your customer? And is that ethical? After all, blogs are supposed to provide a platform for free exchange of thoughts and viewpoints.

Thoughts will be musch appreciated.

Thank you

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
umashankar pandey
umashankar pandey
from Bhopal
14 years ago

I've had blogs for over five years. Some of them still survive while others met the cruel hands of death, which they might all eventually, some prematurely, some having outgrown my whims. So far, I only four instances cross my mind when I was forced to delete the comments.

Deletion of a spam doesn't warrant explanation. Unpalatable frontal attack is another incidence when the blogger has every right to wipe off the obscenity. Verbose and irrelevant blabbering could be just a method of diluting the seriousness of the subject and is again, difficult to digest. Horrible language also puts me off but I've rarely pressed the ultimate button on account of just that.

U. S. Pandey

http://uspandey.in/

http://uspandey.blogspot.com/

Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky
Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky
from India
14 years ago

It all depends on why do we have a blog. Some blog because they want to publicize themselves. Some do it for business purposes. Some do to voice their opinions. Some do it it because they don't have any other thing to do like me. So, it depends on blog to blog whether they need to delete posts that were published or not. 

Palahalli
Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Thanks for responding guys!

U. S. Pandey - I can relate to what your saying. I think my gripe is that some blogs keep rejection a private affair. They email the commenter and say - "stay away" or "go someplace else". Owners are probably scared to come out in the open and speak on the debating thread itself for some reason.

I like some blogs or forums that dedicate a thread to "grievances" where folks who have an issue with deletions can go to and speak out. This also does not derail an ongoing discussion on any other thread.

Madhu - Yes, there are many popular ones that resort to cheap tactics like these. Can I take names?? Wink

Bamboo Lounge - Completely agree. There are various blogging agendas. However, I'm mostly speaking of blogs that attract a lot of commenters and moderate these comments. I'm not against moderation but done without providing cause on an open forum? That's a problem.

Thanks again!

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
My view is mine. If any one comes calling with a knife, i might have to remove. Else i will retain the post. I think its only fair to respect the fact that not every one's view is same. My blog readers can get both or more views of the same topic.
kinnos
kinnos
from Bhubaneswar
14 years ago

censorship on blog and comment is against the basic reason of blogging i.e it is against the freedom of voice.But sometimes censorship is needed to keep those not so decent and extra sex-freindly messages out of sight ( if you are not running a blog about mid night, bed room activities.)

http://www.iluvmyfamily.co.cc/blog/

tys
tys
from Sharjah
14 years ago

man , i dont see what the fuss is all about. The day you get a hate mail is when you should open a bottle of champagene becoz you know you have arrived. My blog has been getting flogged on a regular basis by my readers , some of whom has been checking up on me ever since I started...so sometimes I get a good word, sometimes get my butt kicked...i guess thats what is called a relationship...some of these people have gone on to become good friends...i think , personally, bloggers shud permit people to say what they feel like...even if its goes against their comfortzone...but thats my personal opinion....because I feel it really opens our mind to acknowledge that theres always another perspective...

but at the same time I feel all bloggers have the right to do what they want with their blogs...if they want to delete, block, censor; allow them to do so...its their space...I can live with that

Palahalli
Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago

You have a good points Anwin, Hemal, Kunu and tys.

The blogger's rights, I feel that when a blog becomes popular and starts to attract a lot of traffic, then no censorship must be invoked.

I still feel that all popular blogs should have a "grievance thread" or post, wherein they can either raise complaints or address queries.

Thank you

Palahalli
Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Btw guys I'm finding it difficult to use this code on my blog. Can anyone help?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.indiblogger.in/widgets/forum_my_v.php?id=19388"></script>        

This allows a window of all my threads on indiblogger.

Thanks for any help rendered!

Roohani Deshpande
Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Sometimes the content removed is offensive in nature, sometimes it is merely expressing the reader's opposing views. Thus as Parv says, the issue is subjective.

maya
maya
from baroda
14 years ago

i absolutely agree, comment moderation shouldnt be there... let the reader speak his mind..

LockSign in to reply to this thread