Suggestion for Changes in IndiVine

Tall Guy
Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I would like to suggest changes in the way IndiVine works.   Here is what I think that should be done:

The IndiVine needs to be restricted to a "time line" so that the voting of popular posts takes place within that time line which would allow fellow bloggers to go through the content and then vote on the same (In the current scenario, I don’t think the long thread of posts makes anyone go through the thread to read each and every posts and vote).

Let the time line be restricted to a week and after that it should be archived in weeks, months and year thereby generating a good list of popular posts in different categories every week.

The popular posts (Top 3 or 5)  should be highlighted on the site at one given day (For e.g., if the week for submitting post link starts from Mon to Sun, then Mon should be the day to highlight the previous week popular posts) and maybe an email could be send to fellow bloggers informing the same.

The top three or five posts should be picked on the number of posts links that were submitted i.e., if the post links submitted under one category is less than 10-15 then top 3 post should be highlighted and if its more than 10-15 post links then top 5 should be highlighted.

This will enable the bloggers to explore new blogs and content.

In the current form of IndiVine, only a handful of bloggers are getting voted while the rest have no votes at all, the above suggestions would tackle this situation giving everyone a fair chance.

What do you guys think??

Edited 14 years ago
Reason: make some format changes
1-20
21-37
Replies 1 to 20 of 37 Descending
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Wow... that's quite a bit of ideation! the archiving definitely makes sense, that's something we didn't think of before. Am making this topic sticky, let's see what the others think! Smile

Tall Guy
Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Thanks Renie!!

Neel
Neel
from india
14 years ago

i agree with the above suggestions,a demotion button should also be added for someone to demote a post he doesn't like.

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

something seriously needs to be done about indivine. Ive noticed people are simply posting posts and nobody bothers to read them. Very soon indivine is going to become a huge archieve of posts from the entire web. I had offered a solution to this in many other threads, but somehow it just didnt generate any response. I dont know if it is because the suggestion is stupid and nobody likes it, or it simply skipped everyones attention. Apart from just sorting out indivine problems, it can sort out many other problems facing indiblogger too.

Aria
Aria
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Sorry for asking a question here but my query seemed related to the topic. I checked that Indivine link for the first time today. It seems like a platform for individual posts, posted by bloggers themselves. It’s flooded with some really good posts but some of them unfortunately do not have votes, therefore its hard to dig them. So I guess archiving the posts after a while appears a good idea.

If you post something there can you remove that stuff later? If not, I guess that’s one change that can be incorporated along with the option of changing the sub-category which somebody else asked for.

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Aria

Archiving is seriously needed!! 

If you post something once you cannot delete the link. That sounds a good thought

Aria
Aria
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Thanks Survivor for answering.

Another interesting thing I noted is, if the writer of the post is ‘ranked’ high, the votes multiply. I fail to fathom the rationale behind this – assuming that the higher ranked person are better writers, they should get more votes on their own, then what’s the point behind this luxury? On a lighter note it seems like – if you are the sitting MP, your one vote will become two :)

A ‘low ranked’ blogger is capable of a better write-up than the ‘higher ranked’ one. It’s no secret that the latter would be more popular than the former ergo if a popular blogger writes an average post and the unpopular blogger writes an extra-ordinary post and they both get one vote each.. the popular guy will grab more points. The whole mechanism is designed in the manner that the ‘populars’ have more chances of staying at the top. 

I don’t think many would agree with my philosophy here but everyone should get fair chance esp deserving writers who probably aren’t very popular coz they couldn’t manage long friends lists and such .. in their case they got those precious votes purely on the merit of content.. and so ONE vote should mean ONE for everyone.

Thanks!

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I agree with that!!

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

i agree. No discrimination. India is a country which believes in equality of status. Next thing we need is higher multiples for people from backward castes

Googy
Googy
from Delhi
14 years ago

Agreed with Aria!

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

suggestion for improving voting on indivine:

today when someone opens indivine the popular posts section opens up. From there someone has to click on the submit button and submit a post. In short, the latest posts get totaly ignored. Instead of popular posts opening when clicking on the indivine tab, can we have the latest posts opening up. That way even if someone wants to post a new post, simply glancing at the latest posts would attract a persons attention. the popular posts do not need anymore highlighting and a person may access it only if the click on the popular posts link

hows this?

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

sorry not popular but latest in 48 hours.

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Hey Aditya

I think a time line seriously needs to be considered!!

I also observed that if one checks the various categories under IndiVine only the posts which got votes stay up while the posts which has 0 votes moves back.  With the thread getting only lengthy who is going to bother to read the posts at the bottom?

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

what do you really mean by a timeline?

its exactly because new posts with 0 votes dont get noticed, I am insisting that the latest posts get shown when the indivine tab is clicked rather than the popular posts in the last 48 hours.

Tall Guy
Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

One of the fundamental flaw of IndiVine is not having a "Time line"

The mess of the long threads of posts that we see is because of the lack of it!!

The Indiblogger community may have more than 250-500+ (assuming) bloggers who have written a good number of posts (at any point of time) and would like to sumbit them to IndiVine. This has resulted in the long threads which just don't seem to end...!

The next question comes in "Who gets the Votes?" in such a scenario.

In such situations, bloggers who have a wider reach would undoubtly get more votes while the people who are new to blogging and would like others to explore their content wont get any votes if the post link appears somewhere in the middle of the the long thread

When I talk about "Time line", I mean getting rid of old posts and letting the new content be the judge. That way no one has an advantage and with the introduction of time line, the no. of posts that are posted in a week's time (Refer the Suggestion at the top) are restricted and helps in archiving too.

Showing the latest post link or last posted in 48hrs does not address the issue as bloggers may have posted their old post links all together which would put a blogger on an disadvantage who has just posted one post link (which one might miss to see it).

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

great,  now all we need is to get Renie to read this :D

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

since there will be a timeline will it also make sense to display the day when the post was put up on indivine?

Tall Guy
Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Well even I am wondering where is he? Surprised

To display the day wont make any sense but yes the week date should be mentioned (will help in archives) and most important a blogger should be able to post only one postlink during that period.

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

i dont agree with the idea of limiting one post in a week. In that case, everyone will wait till the week-end and post their best post of that week. I know you want to limit the flow of posts on the indivine. Instead why not do something like this. Only those posts which have been published on the blog over the particular week can come on indivine. In short, older posts cannot come on indivine.

Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky
from India
14 years ago

@Aditya

Great idea

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Aditya

That's what I was talking about to consider posts posted over a particular week, but talked about restricting it one postlink per blogger as there might be bloggers who might be publishing  3 or more  posts per week.

If all the posts are allowed it would lead to current scenario wherein a blogger sumbits all his postlinks together which would be disadvantage to a blogger who probably publishes one or two posts a week.

So to take care of that, a blogger chooses one posts which he/she think is their "good content, but the restriction that I talk of is one post per category.  I don't think that should be an issue :)

Talking Skull
Talking Skull
from Kolkata
14 years ago

The sound-bytes generated by Indivine seems to be going up a few decibels. We should go back and learn to net-browse (particularly, this site) the Hispanic way....

RENIE/ GENIE (Whatever!!): It is only recently that I have come to terms with the ways of INDIBLOGGER. Please do not change anything. That will be completely disorienting!!

aativas
aativas
from Delhi
14 years ago

The Survivor has initiated interesting discussion and others have contributed too. Yes, I support the 'Time Line' concept and even I have found the luxary to high ranked bloggers little confusing. Afterall, we are promoting a particular post and not the blog.. ..So, we need to have equal weightage to voting - a single vote. I also support the idea of adding 'Did not like' option. Some posts are surprisingly highly promoted - but I guess we all have different choices, so it might be fair.

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Aativas

Thanks for the support.

We do have different choices but have to draw a common line that satisfies everyone :)

Hope others too contribute to make it more efficient and just!

Neel
Neel
from india
14 years ago

I would suggest that points or score should be given for voting which means reading a post and then voting,these points should then be added to indirank,this will give bloggers an incentive for participating,there should be a thread to post comments on submitted posts and here also points should be given.

Bloggers should be encouraged to form groups,as this will ensure that their mugshots appear on the landing page and they get some votes and pageviews otherwise nobody is going to vote for them.

Also demotion option should be added.

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

i have suggested such a method earlier too. Although i dont think its a good idea to add it to indirank. Indirank is only on the basis of your blogs performance. Each individual should have an account where they can earn points if they vote for a blog on indivine. These points can be redeemed against something. Probably somehting like space to advertise their blog

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Prophet666

I don't think adding points/score to IndiRank will enable to voting.  They don't work and it might work the other way where a blogger might give a vote to each & every post link just to see the IndiRank go up.  Plus this is a participative process so this cannot be enforced.

@ Aditya

Same problem as mentioned to Prophet666

Neel
Neel
from india
14 years ago

what the blooger really needs is traffic,and giving points for views will be an incentive to read posts and generate traffic,this will be good for every one.

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

those points can be earned through other means too, like reviewing other peoples blogs, sommething which also many ppl dont do.

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Prophet666

Everybody needs traffic mate :) But how do you keep them coming back?I don't get the point system that you talk about, can you elaborate?

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Looking at Indivine now.. I think the most urgent problem to be dealt with is that people are posting, but not voting! Frown

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

That's one of the problems Renie.  That's why a "time line" concept needs to be introduced.

Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@survivor

that is why i said that points should not be added to indirank, but to a seperate account.

@Renie

can we do something where in people earn points by voting on indivine, reviewing blogs and voting on IB which can be redeemed for ad space and the ability to nominate ones blog on IB?

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Hey Aditya, this point system is exactly what I have in mind, I've mentioned it on this post here. Redeeming it for ad space is a super idea - never thought of that. Thanks dude!

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

well renie i was harping this ideaology in many threads but it just somehow escaped notice. Are you aware of what is lockerz? if not visit lockerz.com and have a look. We can do something like that. Earn points by posting on the forum, reviewing blogs, voting on IB, voting on indivine and spend them for ad space. Since we want to control the number of posts coming on Indivine, we can also charge peoploe points for putting up posts. That way only the good posts will come up. However, there is the issue that people might spam to get points. Like voting on every post of indivine without reading it, posting spam and junk on forums for points. That needs to be curbed

Neel
Neel
from india
14 years ago

@survivor

what i am talking about is certain points per view and per hit,ie.points for viewing a post,and points earned for your post being viewed by someone else,this practice is widely followed as it ensures traffic and competitive spirit,also points for voting and commenting are considered,otherwise participation without incentive becomes difficult,maybe indiblogger knows how many hits the top voted posts get i dont think it is much.

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

i think blog explosion or some site like that follows this method

Tall Guy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ Prophet 666

Thanks for the explanation Mate.

This can be used as an upgrade for IndiBlogger to the next level wherein the point system can be implemented and other features introduced.  I am though not sure if points can be given for viewing posts.

Neel
from india
14 years ago

@aditya

i don't know about blog explosion,what i know is that everyone follows this method,the popularity of a post is decided by the number of hits it gets,plus total votes upwards after deducting negative votes.

Vipul Grover
Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

Aditya, a very nice suggestion of earning and spending points.. why not start an IndiBlogger Currency for the same - maybe IndiRupees.

And its right, we'll need 2 have safeguards 2 curb any spam like measures 2 earn money.

Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

thanks. We can actually sort a lot of problems on indiblogger if we try and implement this.

1-20
21-37
LockSign in to reply to this thread