Help with installing template on Wordpress

Roohani Deshpande
Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago

I have downloaded a template html file from the internet but I don't know where to paste the codes in wordpress in order to make it functional in my blog. When I go to the "templates" section I can only see wordpress templates, there is no option of editing the html. How do I install the template?

Edited 14 years ago
Reason: forgot to add info
Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
14 years ago

Hey Roohani, are you on wordpress.com? You cannot use custom themes there... custom themes are only for the self-hosted version from wordpress.org, for which you need to have your own web host...

Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago

I can't use custom themes? Why is wordpress doing this to me? Lol 

Ok so guess I'll have to stick to the ones they have. Thanks for the information Renie :)

Aria
Aria
from New Delhi
14 years ago

I am not on wordpress but as far as I know you can have custom themes on wordpress if you pay $1 or some such 'nominal fee' . If you do not want to do that and still want to have a different look then from the existing themes you better select some template which have the option of changing the header images.. at least that way you can have the satisfaction of some uniqueness and a header image of your choice .. but if you want to have an all 'unique look' you better stick to blogger.  :)

Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Frown

I just went to their support forum, they say that even upon purchasing credits for editing the CSS, I will not be able to upload new themes "due to compatibility reasons".

Maybe I'd stick to blogger then, thanks Aria :)

Aria
Aria
from New Delhi
14 years ago

I don’t think he meant that blogger is better or was badmouthing/supporting one or the other.  What I understood from his comment is that if uploading the template of your choice is the ‘only’ criteria then blogger is better however in other respects wordpress is more efficient but perhaps figuring out stuff is a tad difficult.

I can’t comment on that coz I haven’t tried wordpress. With my almost-nil technological knowledge I can’t host a site and then I don’t want to pay money for a blog which no one reads.. heh. With all that in mind I have no complains whatsoever with blogger and then its quite flexible and is improving all the time. Additionally there are so many wordpress style themes available on the net which we can use for free on the contrary wordpress guys have to pay for even that. :)

Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago
You have a point, Wordpress has all these restrictions regarding custom themes and even widgets, which don't let the blogger personalise the blog. But at the same time it's more fun working in wordpress, it's got more features and one can import any blog into it. This is getting more confusing.

LockSign in to reply to this thread