An open letter to Times Now on 26/11

Saurabh Hirani
Saurabh Hirani
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Hi guys,

I had watched a coverage on Times Now of the recounting of 26/11 and wrote them an email regarding my thoughts on it. I have posted an open letter version of the same on my blog.

Just to make it clear that I am not using this post as an excuse to gain hits to my blog, I am reposting what I wrote on my blog here. Its something you all can contribute to:

---x---

Dear Sir/Madam,

I watched the coverage on 26/11 that Times Now telecasted at 2 pm on 22nd Nov, 2009. I could relate to Mr. Arnab's comment on the collective anger arising out of the thought that we are sitting ducks or soft targets for the terrorists. I appreciate Times Now making a consistent effort in making the common man rethink about what he might have forgotten.

But frankly speaking, I was hoping that the show could question more about the road ahead than reliving the terror through the eyes who saw it. Where do we go from here? Every debate show that I've watched on Times Now, be it the Newshour or something else, always progresses from being a bold question to a constructive and hard hitting discussion. You have an idea, your expand upon it, ask all the necessary unpleasant questions, you gain clarity, and then, when its ready to be pushed to the next level, the clock strikes 10 and the debate ends.

Can't Times Now do a show or discussion, which in the end creates a summary of the issues discussed, suggestions taken and submit them to the Government, with a fixed deadline on the Government replying what they think about it and how do they proceed to fix it? Can't the Government conduct simple polls on a regular basis through the Internet or other media on what the citizens think about various issues?

As much as we might have progressed in the speed and efficiency of dissemination of information through the media, there is not a single channel which is in lockstep with the Government. There is a need for a clean and a simple feedback loop between the people and the Government. The media is the bridge.

You have on your board the best minds who are willing to fix things. They have the intelligence to work out solutions. But their words are just thoughts hanging in air if they are not converted to actions - and actions by the people in power. Please give this idea a thought.

--

regards,

Saurabh.

If you think this raw idea of having a back and forth transfer of information between the Government and the people is worth implementing and if you have the ability to spread it, please do so. It can be a simple blog post reiterating what I said or what your thoughts are on creating a medium of interaction between the people and the Government. This one thought will not serve its purpose unless it multiples in proportion and sharpens in form by being read and thought upon by others, especially the ones who can pull the right strings.Thank you.

---x---

Link to the original post which contains the same content:

Open letter to Times now

Edited 14 years ago
Reason: same reason - forgot a few line breaks.
LockSign in to reply to this thread