Help me make the shiftfrom blogger to wordpress

Anshul Tewari
Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Hi guys!

I have a blogon bogger blog for the past two years and I host it on a custom domain by enom.

I need to make the shift from blogger to wordpress.com

I have downloaded the latest wordpress software but i have no idea about how and where to host the contents. Also, i am extremly confused as I have basic technical knowledge.

It would be really humble and kind of you to help me through the process of the shift. It's making me pull my hair.

My blog is www.yothkiawaaz.com

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending
Magali Vaz
Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Hey I know I'm not helping Frown, but any specific reasons why you want to move to Wordpress from Blogger?

Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Hi Magali,

Nice question. Actually Wordpress is far far better when it comes to SEO, and since we are in need of traffic to the blog, it could help. Plus, Wordpress gives loadz of freedom in terms of the look, feel and design of the website.

Wordpress is also a better and an easy to access/manage content mangement system.

Wordpress is also best when you are doing professional blogging, that is, running a business through blogging, and since Youth Ki Awaaz is a professional news blog, with over 100 writers, I think wordpress would surely give me hell lotta freedom.

I hope you get what I mean

Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Ok thanks for telling me. Smile

pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

I can help you make this transition. I have been using and running a WordPress site since before it even existed as Wordpress! (I've been using fiddling with its precursors and their precursors for a long time.)

Briefly, we will need to answer a few basic questions (which your web host can provide), and we can easily set up the WordPress site. Then, we need to import all your content from blogger to your new site. Then, we need to work on styling your WordPress site to look like your blogger site did.

Get in touch via e-mail (provided at the bottom of every page of my journal), and I will provide you with step by step instructions, and hand-hold you through them if you need to.

Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Thanks a ton Pundit, will get back to you ASAP. :) Kudos

Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

I have dropped a comment at out blog as I could not see the email option.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
Hey Anshul, for hosting Wordpress on a host, you will need a hosting provider. Though Wordpress works well on windows host, but a Linux is always preferred. You need to look for a good hosting provider. There are numerous hosting providers today but most of them are just resellers. Some also rent out a server from US. Which is not the best option if you target audience is in India. But these hosts turn out to be significantly cheaper as compared to those servers in India. As Magali mentioned you have over 100 writers, you might as well configure as individual blogs using Wordpress(u) if you so wish. I dont know what exactly called though. Or you can simply create new users in one wordpress blog. Also search on the forum for wordpress and go through some part discussions, it should help you. Good luck.
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

It's called WordPress MU.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

thanks Pundit

Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Hi Hemal,

Thanks for your help. I will try to figure out how Wordpress MU works and if it fits my forte I will go in for it.

The thing is that my blog is a community blog spreading awareness among the youth. I also dont want to lose my page rank, etc. as I have blogged rigorously for the past 2 years. What to do?

I will also go through the discussions ASAP. Thanks! Cheers!

Manik
Manik
from Delhi
14 years ago

Well, firstly you are not recommended to shift. You would be loosing a lot in term of followers, page ranks and publicity! But still if you want to shift to wordpress.org (self-hosted WP), stay warned as it is more intensive and therefore guarantees much better features if you want to get into professional blogging! I would like to recommend you to read official wordpress documentations and its called docs.

I would not elaborate but you can also take help from professional services like the one here - Tact9. I am going to use this service for my upcoming blog PinkCityBlog. A friend recommended me this service!

pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

What do Tact9-like services provide?

Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Hi Manik,

I will and am still considering all these factors but I believe that Wordpress will help me convert blog into a media company as it would give me more freedom. Also, I am ready to work 24/7 in case I lose my rankings.

But yeah! Thanks for the suggestions and I would also like to know what Tact-9 provides and how it will be beneficial. :D

Manik
from Delhi
14 years ago

As per my info! These people help us by setting up the layouts and all back-end coding things. We will not be needed to hand-code our templates, work for SEO and things and we will be free to focus on content of the site.

In my case, I want to avoid tedious works of PHP and other coding and wish to work like a journalist, meeting real people, interacting with them and then sharing it. So that service might help me.

I think their site gives information about their work.

Manik
Manik
from Delhi
14 years ago

As per my info! These people help us by setting up the layouts and all back-end coding things. We will not be needed to hand-code our templates, work for SEO and things and we will be free to focus on content of the site.

In my case, I want to avoid tedious works of PHP and other coding and wish to work like a journalist, meeting real people, interacting with them and then sharing it. So that service might help me.

I think their site gives information about their work.

pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

(I went through their site, but it wasn't clear to me in this context; so I ask.)

Right, but do you provide them an idea of how you'd want it to look? Or do they just give you make something for you that fits with what you want to use you site for?

And the reason I am asking you so many questions (I think) is that I am having the brilliant idea that I could just start doing this for a living!

Jimmy Pudussery
Jimmy Pudussery
from Navi Mumbai
14 years ago

You may want to refer to this post by Amit Agarwal who has a well written tech blog.

How to Switch from Blogger to Wordpress without losing the Google PageRank and Search Traffic.

Hope this helps..

Cheers !!

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
Jimmy, this would certainly help him. Anshul, here the scene is slightly different. You already have a domain which is not a xyz.blogspot.com. You have configured a domain to your blogger blog. So in essence what you need to ensure that the url of all these blog posts does not change. If you are able to keep it the same, the page rank will not be affected.
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
All you need to do is import all your blogspot posts to wordpress using the in built feature and then make sure all your urls remain the same.
Anshul Tewari
Anshul Tewari
from Noida
14 years ago

Hi guys!

Am finally happy as hell! Youth Ki Awaaz has made the shift and I am loving it! phew!

It wouldn't have been possible if you guys would not have taken the initiative to help me out with this. Special thanks to Pundit, for taking this over to email. Also, I did it by shifting to bluehost and opting for their one click wordpress install, made things simpler.

I would really really appreciate if you guys could make a quick visit to http://www.youthkiawaaz.com and check it out.

Thanks a lot again! Love you all!

Anshul

pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

Great show!

LockSign in to reply to this thread