A topical blog always?

Yuvika
Yuvika
from Chennai
14 years ago

I have come across a lot of wonderful topical blogs - by that I mean blogs dedicated to a single theme or topic - for example, cooking, travel, parenting, and so on.

When I started blogging, I had no particular interest in mind, and that may also be because I have no "real passion" :). All I wanted to achieve through my blog was writing what I felt about anything and everything that came to my mind - with the result that I now face a small challenge of not having recurrent categories that I can say I write about - which makes it kind of difficult to categorize my posts. 

I wanted to ask fellow and senior bloggers out here if this does seem normal or a pattern is almost always necessary to qualify as a qualitative blog?

Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending
pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

What's a qualitative blog?

Yuvika
Yuvika
from Chennai
14 years ago

Apologies for the ambiguity. I mean a blog that can be considered of high content quality - that makes for intellectual, substantive, stimulating reading...

(I hope I am making sense here) 

pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

No, you don't need to have a narrow focus to have a blog of high quality. One of two things happen to long starting blogs that start without a focus:1. They continue to remain unfocused, but the quality of the writing gets much better with time.2. The author finds a few niches interesting, and they start to return to those recurring themes in their posts. And the quality of the writing gets much better with time. :)

Yuvika
Yuvika
from Chennai
14 years ago

Hoping only one of the two things happen to my blog - either one is fine :)

Ketan
Ketan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Blogging need not be "topical"...  but try to keep content quality good... It is very obvious that non-commerial blogs typically would be ramblings of an individual... blogs not specific to a topic and sometiime more worth reading than topical ones, since they cater to vast variety of readers and quality can keep bringing them back....  Imagine a blog on say "ïPhone", would not attract people not owning iPhone even if the quality of the blog is superb. I think blog because you want to and try to keep improving your content quality...

I don't know how helpful it can be while sticking to one topic.......but i found this work or blog....dedicated to "SHAVING"Smile

http://perfectshave.blogspot.com/

i admire the work.......

Magali Vaz
Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Yes I too don't think blogging needs to be of a specific topic. My Personal blog focuses on a variety of topics. Just keep your post quality up & you'll be fine! Laughing

Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
14 years ago

Although my blog is topical.... But i dont feel this is a necessity for all the bloggers!

Only thing necessary for blogging should be your thoughts. Blog about whatever you feel like! Because at the end of the day, 99% of bloggers dont blog for money, they blog for fun!

Cheers

http://hshekhar.blogspot.com

suvro
suvro
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Blogging on miscellaneous topics is always good.Less boring at least.Actually the topics u choose depends on you and only you.If you think you can write on various topics then go ahead and keep writing.I think one should write on things which interests the author.

Yuvika
Yuvika
from Chennai
14 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful responses and great encouragement!

salaamreaders
salaamreaders
from Delhi
14 years ago

Hi Yuvika

I am in a similar dillemma! Like you when I started the idea was to write on 'this and that'. I thought that would give me many subjects to write upon. But I am now faced with thw writer's block! Any inspiration?

http://salaamreaders.wordpress.com/

Yuvika
Yuvika
from Chennai
14 years ago

Well, I get my inspiration from usually my immediate reality, what's happening around that affects me And don't worry the writer's block means you are a good writer and are not writing for the heck of it :)

Gouri
Gouri
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

A personal blog need not be restricted to one topic. And most of them are not (My blog too contains posts on multiple topics). However, it's always advisable to categorise your posts. Naming your categories is totally up to you. Just to quote a few examples, a personal blog can have categories like relationship, personal, values, inspiration, philosophy, gossip, time pass, passing fancy, random thoughts, etc.

Even if you don't have recurrent categories, it should be okay. If your posts are interesting, you will gain loyal readership over time and who knows.. May be your blog becomes so popular that others start following you and 'not categorising' becomes the in thing. I recently stumbled upon Kiran's blog which too does not have any categories (or at least I didn't notice). Nonetheless, I found it so interesting that I frequently check it for new posts.

LockSign in to reply to this thread