All of us who write must support Chetan Bhagat

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I was taken aback by Times of India trying to build a case against Chetan Bhagat and saying that the movie is completely different from the Novel.Have put up my protest below besides putting comments on Chetan's Blog

http://aahang.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/3-idiots/

Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending
Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

When you say all of us MUST support,  It deprives the individual stance on the issue.

Having said this , I have seen the movie as well as read the book and i would say the movie is only very loosely based on the book and not a complete adaptation. Except for patches of incidences the movie differes from the book in many ways.

Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago
I definitely agree with your first sentence!
Pooja Doshi
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I too agree with Mr. R. There is not much similarity between the book and the movie. I just don't see the "need" for a controversy. The book did extremely well in it's time and the movie's doing well too. There are more important matter's to deal with. TOI should understand that.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
I guess the movie has already credited for being loosely based on his novel. If not, they should consider doing it. But that really does not mean that all should support him. He was recently bashed on twitter for his pro self promotion. So after that fiasco, i am not really in mood to stand for this.
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
In fact all this controversy has promoted his novel as well. So i believe its time this controversy died a death.
Anshika Srivastava
Anshika Srivastava
from Noida
14 years ago

Chetan's book Five Point Someone is selling like hotcakes. Three Idiots is a hit even breaking many records of box office. And after Chetan Bhagat's apology, I am confused. Was the war true or just a publicity gimmick? So I am not in support of anyone.

Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
14 years ago

I support Chetan... Although i am not a big fan of his writings but i have read FPS and 3 idiots is almost completely based on the novel except the usual bolly wood masala.

Vinay Bavdekar
Vinay Bavdekar
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Why? Chetan Bhagat signed a contract, every word of which was which was honoured by the 3 Idiots crew. Danny Boyle didn't take Vikas Swarup along for his promos, why should Raju Hirani do that?

Check this link. For the contract that was signed between VVC's company and Chetan Bhagat, check this link.  The agreement has been fully honoured. Now, if CB feels he is shortchanged, he is a fool to sign that.

Infact, as a blogger (and hence a writer), I do not support Chetan Bhagat's behaviour at all

Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Me too!

Sayed Khadri
Sayed Khadri
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I saw the movie 3 Idiots, there a few concepts which are from FPS, like professors part, 3 friends, few more. Idea is from FPS. Hirani has given the credits CB at the end of movie, They show that "Based on Five Point Someone", what else he want.

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for putting your point across.And I do agree with Mr R that I should not attemp to infringe upon your freedom of expression by saying "we must support...."

All I am saying is that Aamir and co.should have shown some grace and not tried to pass off Chetan's story as their's even though they had bought the rights for a pittance.

Please see Vir Sanghwi's post below which sums up my sentiments in a better language.

http://www.virsanghvi.com/vir-world-ArticleDetail.aspx?ID=415

Have a great weekend and pick up 2 States from Chetan if you have not read it....simple reading and quite hilarious at some places. Cheers !

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

http://www.virsanghvi.com/vir-world-ArticleDetail.aspx?ID=415

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
14 years ago

After so much of heat generated on the topic, I wonder what made Chetan Bhagat to take a U turn! Obviously, sudden silence on his part smells fishy. 

pushpendra pandya
pushpendra pandya
from Mumbai
14 years ago

i very much respect the thought about this topic i was too held up because of my new work and tthings but when i saaw the movie and heard the contoversy about the chetan vs. movie credit i felt really misearble in many ways. I'll surely support chetan simply because i like the way he puts across things in his books i don't car much how good or bad the movie goes so i surelu support chetan irrespective of.

Thank you for bringing this up Rajnish Kumar.

http://pandyapushpendrakumar.blogspot.com/

Regards

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Hi pushpendra Thanks for sharing your blog. i liked your take on life ..... people ARE strange when you are a stranger and faces do look ugly when you are alone.women do seem wicked when you are unwanted and the streets Are uneven when you are down.

Although in you seem to be lucky as far as women are concerned ;-)

Keep blogging !

pushpendra pandya
pushpendra pandya
from Mumbai
14 years ago

That's pretty true ! (honesty is the best policy)

Thank you kindly Rajnish!

LockSign in to reply to this thread