View24Hours -- are your blog posts landing up there?

Mansi Bhatia
Mansi Bhatia
from San Jose
13 years ago

Hi all,

I was informed today by a fellow IndiBlogger that one of my posts was published on Views24Hours.

I checked it out and they haven't blatantly posted it claiming it as their own. They have infact credited me for it and linked to my blog, but all the same they never asked my explicit permission to post my blog post in their site.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and what recourse, if any, you've taken. As a professional journalist, I don't have any qualms about people reposting my copyright material when they clearly state my byline. However, it is professional courtesy to ask the writer for permission to reuse their creation.

Replies 1 to 16 of 16 Descending
Gyanban
Gyanban
from Kolkata
13 years ago

I think this is the 2 incident I am hearing recently,another fellow blogger had the same situation.  

Magali Vaz
Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I too know of another blogger whose content was published without her permission, thought her's was on a very tacky websites & she was not given credit.

I think you should search for an email on their site, & send them a strongly worded email at once.

Lakshmi Rajan
Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Even they have published article lifted from my site. when I shot a mail they pulled it down.

Upon scrutiny I found almost all their articles are lifted from various bloggers. In some case they give credit while many are published without credits.

They have not bothered to even contact the bloggers for permission to publish.

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Ok I don't know Hindi so - does this site have a registration form? Is every single article taken without permission? If we put our heads and our blogs together I'm sure we can do something about it!

Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

They have a english version of the site too. You can see the button in the site for english.

They have not taken permission from any of the bloggers atleast this is the impression i got when i contacted 5-6 bloggers whom i know and whose post are appearing there. None of them had been contacted for permission.

I think Indiblogger as a community should protest this violation of copyrights.

Their email id is contact@views24hours.com

Ashwani Singla
Ashwani Singla
from Gurgaon
13 years ago

This happens may a times. The original writer is never approached with an explicit permission.

The NRI
The NRI
from London
13 years ago

This also happens to every blogger and is not necessarily a bad thing, on the basis that you looking for greater exposure and improved search engine rankings. The more inbound links you have from other sites, the higher Google rates your site. And one way links (as opposed to reciprocal links) are given greater importance by Google.

If you want to get an idea of how many people are linking to you, use Yahoo site explorer.

https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

Just enter the url of your site in the top search box.

Lakshmi Rajan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

You got it wrong.

1.First quality linkers give you credit and not rip off the entire article.

2. Many article in the site does not even qualify for the link since they appear as text and not links in some case not even a mention of any names.

3. Using an excerpt is one thing and ripping off the entire article without permission is another thing.

The NRI
The NRI
from London
13 years ago

Lakshmi, I bow to your experience.

Granted an excerpt linking through to the original article is preferable, but there is still a link here to Mansi's blog and it is a DoFollow one. So from an SEO and PageRank perspective it still counts. The only negative is that the referring site has a zero PageRank.

Mansi, why don't you mail the site's webmaster and request that they modify the article so it is just an excerpt. That way, any interested reader will click through to your site.

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

I think there are quite a few bloggers who would not like their articles published without permission, even if there is a link back. And it looks like there are more than a few complaining about this particular site! If something is done, it should be done once and for all so that they stops entirely...

Even a lot of my blog posts from (WindowsVJ.com) are shamelessly copied by a Nepalese blog owner @ http://biizay.blogspot.com/

The NRI
The NRI
from London
13 years ago

Here is some useful advice for the victims of plagiarism.

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2004/12/21/what-to-do-when-someone-steals-your-blogs-content-blog-plagiarism/

http://ijaar.com/6-tools-to-protect-your-blog-content-from-being-copied/

Mansi Bhatia
Mansi Bhatia
from San Jose
13 years ago

Thanks, all, for your comments. I have sent them an e-mail asking them to post an excerpt with a link to my blog post to "Read more..."

I have also asked them, going forward, that the decent thing would be to ask for permission before posting any blog posts. Given that individual bloggers benefit from inbound links (increased traffic), I doubt if anyone would object when asked for permission and given due credit.

Would anyone from IndiBlogger like to collect data on how many blog posts have been published on Views24Hours without the bloggers' permission and write an "official" e-mail on behalf of this community, too?

Lahari
Lahari
from Bangalore
13 years ago

This is a very serious problem and should be strictly condemned..

Hitched Hiker
Hitched Hiker
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I feel that if the article has been pubished in its original wording and with full credit to the original author, there is really no reason to complain.

Muralidhar Duvvuri
from Visakhapatnam
13 years ago

I don't think it is right, I believe that one can take some excerpts or some talk about the article but publishing the whole articles for "personal gains" should require the original author's permission.

Mansi Bhatia
Mansi Bhatia
from San Jose
13 years ago

So, as an update: here is an e-mail I received from Views 24Hours 20 minutes ago. Is this a joke? This makes me more angry than what they did -- the justification is almost a mockery. Reactions?? ------ Hey, Mansi Bhatia We apologize... We used your article without your permission... coz  We do not provide sensation News..... We value the views of people provide in News.... Our aim is to society Wug on News..... so we need.... Exchange of ideas - are expected to cooperate in providing thx.... editor.. (We will be awaiting your answer...)

India Mainly
India Mainly
from Baroda
13 years ago

hehe this reply doesn't give any justification or clarification to your query. 

The NRI
The NRI
from London
13 years ago

It's now crystal clear why they are using other blogger's material - the cannot write in English!!

LockSign in to reply to this thread