Flash Fiction - For Content & Inspiration!

Vijayakrishna
Vijayakrishna
from Chennai
15 years ago

Pardon my ignorance. Yesterday was the first time I heard about ‘Flash Fiction’. This is also known as sudden fiction, micro fiction, post card fiction etc. Normally flash fiction are short stories told under a 1000 words. There are variations. Some expect flash fictions to be under 750 words. There is also a version that says flash fiction should be less than 100 words.

Ernst Hemingway wrote this famous shortest story: “For sale: baby shoes. never worn.” This is about a poor parent who is yet to recover from the disaster of their miscarriage. Imagine the emotional impact created by just 6 words. Reminds me of how much we waste words. Flash fiction is about using less descriptions and adjectives and fillers but still coming up with the same impact.

Here is my attempt at a micro-fiction.

I’m on my bike, waiting for the traffic signal. I should take a right. If I take a left I’ll save 20 minutes but I saw the ‘no entry’ sign on the road. Should I take the long right or the short left? The signal’s goes green. The biker ahead of me takes the left defying the ‘no entry’ signal. That’s my motivation. I take the left folliwing him. From nowhere comes the traffic police and stops me. He tells me “you’re not supposed to enter this road, didn’t you see the sign?”. I say, “sorry sir, the guy before me just took this road”. He says “but he didn’t get caught”.

I guess all zen stories would classify as micro fictions. Little fish in the ocean asking its mom: ‘where is this thing called ocean?’. Zen stories always say it with fewer words but carry a lot of depth. Sometimes, I wonder if it’s possible to create that impact with more words. More words might only kill it.

Four monks decided to meditate silently without speaking for two weeks. By nightfall on the first day, the candle began to flicker and then went out. The first monk said, “Oh, no! The candle is out.” The second monk said, “Aren’t we not suppose to talk?” The third monk said, “Why must you two break the silence?” The fourth monk laughed and said, “Ha! I’m the only one who didn’t speak.”

I never had the patience for reading fictions. I can’t say the same about Flash fictions. It would take me hardly two minutes to read a short flash fiction. I think it is an interesting challenge to try telling a story in less than 100 words. Make an attempt. Will be interesting.

Cheers

vjkrishna

www.vjkrishna.com

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
jkwillsay
jkwillsay
from chennai
15 years ago

Hi VJ,

Check my friends flash fiction

http://cauverykaddu.blogspot.com

and also my latest post

http://jkwillsay.blogspot.com/

Vijayakrishna
Vijayakrishna
from Chennai
15 years ago

C'mon guys! No takers for this interesting idea?

Rahul S. Nair
Rahul S. Nair
from London
15 years ago

nice...

i did a 55 fiction once...

that is it should be written in less than 55 words and the last line should contain the essence of the fiction. Wiki has a detialed desription of that..

here is my post : 55 fiction

LockSign in to reply to this thread